Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossfit training

Chris Conley

Thanks XRE and Jake. It took a couple of days but I feel great now. I've been on the road for a couple of days and didn't get a work out today. Tuesday I had a pretty quick one before I had to hit the road. 50 burpee's, 100 box jumps and 50 pull ups. Loosened everything up some. Fully recovered now. Ready to hit it hard this weekend. What do you all think about the slosh pipe? Things thaw out I'm building me one.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not handled a slosh pipe, yet.... I plan to build one eventually, but I've been trying to convince the guys at the gym to put one together so we can use it in the workouts... ;) No dice, yet... I need to build a scaled one for my wife to use, too...

You can bet that the slosh pipe is pure murder, though. I'm told that if you just Zercher carry the thing for a 1/4 mile, you'll be hating life, so... :D It must be "good"... Overhead squats w/ it look like a lot of "fun" :D

Jake - the cool thing about a gym close by is that you can also start having some of that "in person / community" thing going on. Having all the right equipment helps a bunch, too. One way to get in would be to get Level II Cert and see if you can get on board w/ them as a trainer, and get experience at training and operating the gym first, and then you can get your business model and cash together to open your own. Most of them enjoy having more than one facility in an area, esp. if they're quality folks... 20 miles is far enough away that you won't kill one another, business wise...

Oh, yeah... one more success... I did my first HSPUs today!!! Woo Hoo!!! After seeing the vid of the little kid doing them on the CrossFit site that showed up a couple days ago, I figured I better get my butt over to the wall and start working, so.... Knocked out two right away... :D

ETA - and three more last night after working out... After I got past the mental sticking point about it, they're not so bad...

Edited by XRe

Got my slosh pipe built today. Only cost about $20.

post-10237-1201203381.jpg

This thing is a whole new world of pain. It's a hugh pain in the ass to even pick up. It's suppose to be half full of water but I think I might take some of that out for now.

Chris C.

I'm going to use the slosh pipe for shoulder presses, squats, and lunges. See if this link works.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFi...TSloshPipe1.wmv

The pipe is half full of water so if your body gets out of balance the all the water will go to one side. The pipe can be applied to tons of exercises. One thing I want from it is to learn balance. I'm going to put stickers and little phases like "misery enjoys misery" all over it. Put two hangers up on the fence in the back yard so I can hang it. It's a real bitch to pick up.

I went thru the soreness last week. I think the key thing is to get something into your body right after the workout. Things that will feed your muscles. I usually eat a banana, yogert, and a bunch of peanuts. Sometimes I guess there is nothing that you can do. But something is better than nothing.

Chris C.

Just walking while carrying the thing is apparently entertaining core exercise.

Severe DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) sometimes results from over-taxing a muscle, and there's not a whole lot you can do with it. Carefully stretch it, use something like Tiger Balm or BenGay or whatever on it, roll it out with a foam roller (wanna talk about torture?? heh heh...). Make sure you're well hydrated...

When I started into CrossFit, every time we'd hit a new type of exercise, I'd get some serious DOMS - to the point where I couldn't straighten my arms after doing ring rows for the first time. That stuff gets better as you exercise that muscle group more often - then you'll just get "regular sore" :D

I just finished entertaining myself with the pipe. Entertaining is not the right word at all. Whoever thought of the pipe is evil indeed. It will take some time to get used to it but I like it.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

what do you do with a "slosh pipe"?

btw is there anything i can do for very very sore muscles? my trainer had me do some lat pulls that killed me. i can barely pick up my arms.

If your trainer is from CF, perhaps he should read this article..... I'm scaling down until I am ready to do an rx's WOD. Training once to where you can't do exercises for a couple days doesn't seem to make sense.

Edited by carinab

Coach is also talking about people who are acclimated to that level of effort... Jake is about the only one of us who approaches that right now, though, so... :D

I've had several CF coaches talk to me about not overdoing it, too, though.. You'll know when you're overtraining, though...

In the mean time, listen to your body, and don't push things too far too fast... ;)

Thomas, your trainer isn't crossfit is he?

Chris, my trainer likes to dish out plyometrics. The exercise she had me do was while standing perform a lat pull with the right arm starting past my left shoulder and pull across my chest. On the second day I could barely lift my arms because my lats were so sore but the third day I was fine. I start my weekly training on Monday, wish me luck.

Chris, my trainer likes to dish out plyometrics. The exercise she had me do was while standing perform a lat pull with the right arm starting past my left shoulder and pull across my chest.

I don't know what your definitions are... but lat pulls are not generally what you'd consider plyo...

but lat pulls are not generally what you'd consider plyo...

XRe, you are correct this was something of a warm up. The killer was start standing with a BOSU at chest level push up over head bring down to the floor, shoot legs out and perform a push up. Then bring feet back to BOSU stand and press over head and repeat 10 times. This will kill you quick.

Coach is also talking about people who are acclimated to that level of effort... Jake is about the only one of us who approaches that right now, though, so... :D

I've had several CF coaches talk to me about not overdoing it, too, though.. You'll know when you're overtraining, though...

In the mean time, listen to your body, and don't push things too far too fast... ;)

I'm at this point right now. I struggled significantly with the wieghts on Monday - when last week the same wieghts, minus 5 pounds, felt VERY light. Tuesday did CF, Wednesday I was still blown. And I took off Wed-Thursday - will do some CF this afternoon at lunch, but skipped weights this morning.

Back in the day when I was racing, my rule of thumb for overtraining was - if my heart rate elevates after climbing a flight of stairs at work, take a break. Wed-Thurs my heart rate jumped a bit after a flight of stairs and I knew the fix was in to take a rest.

I've been hitting it pretty hard for nearly 10 weeks so it's time for a little rest and recovery.

The key that you're missing is that plyo involves a constant storing/unstoring of energy as part of the exercise, and is generally a constant movement involving the same group(s) of muscles. This typically involves a forced impact sort of movement at some point. It could be argued that the pushup phase of an aggressively done burpee would be plyometric - but that's really about it. Plyo exercises - (properly done) box jumps, clapped pushups, clapped pullups, aggressive air squats, various types of medicine ball catch/throw stuff, etc.

The burpee, on the other hand, has a plyo-ish pushup involved, but you never captialized on the energy stored as part of coming down from the jump (you should be exploding back out of the contraction to do so). And, the only way to truly make the pushup part explosive in the fashion they're talking about in plyometrics is to dive into it, so...

"Explosive movements with intensity" does not make something plyo just because... ;)http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_TabataSquats.wmv - see the difference, here (and no, not that its hosted on the CF site) ??? Explosive return of energy immediately upon capitalization.

See here: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html - "In this model, elastic energy is created in the muscles and tendons and stored as a result of a rapid stretch (6,7,8). This stored energy is then released when the stretch is followed immediately by a concentric muscle action."

ETA - Box jumps become even more effective, plyometrically, when done as such: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/boxjump.wmv - store and immediate release (and those will totally kick your ass, too..)

BTW - I'm not saying your trainer doesn't do plyo - just that those things you've worked don't actually fit the definition.

Edited by XRe