Crossfit training

Chris Conley

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't fit my goals right now. Sorry buddy. ;)

You're definitely gonna kick ass with it though. You should test your max set of pull ups before and after and report back after it's all done.

We'll do. Pretty damn sore after yesterday.

Chris C.

I'll do that one before I go to the range in the morning. First time I've been since DPMS, and taking a buddy ailing from cancer and never shot a gun before. Can't think of a better way to play around with 3 guns!!!!

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Filthy Fifty... ugh...

Did The Chief the other day... squeezed 19 rounds out of it, but that wasn't exactly hot, in the end... But, had a 10# PR in a 5x5 back squat workout (this one included a non-timed 400m run in between sets). And we did a workout on Thursday that was pretty entertaining:

2 rounds of:

75m ball throws (throw ball hard, run to it, throw it again, repeat as necessary)

25 pushups

25 squats

sprint back with ball

then 2 rounds of:

35m walking lunge

15 burpees

35m bear crawl

On the day following the 5x5 BS routine, this one was totally a leg torcher.... :o It was way fun - we did it in the field at the middle school next door to the gym. Damn, though - by the time I hit lunges, I was in bad shape w/ the legs :D

My goal for this week is to get in two of the CF warm ups a day....I took it easy before natl's so I wouldn't be sore at the match. Stuck to my zone diet and had mental clarity that I hadn't experienced before under match stress (that rocked!)...But, when I got back, I took a week to just do all the stuff that you shouldn't do. You know, to get it out of my system. And the week after that, I got sick. Two weeks to recover and then I hit the gym and the yoga room two days in a row. Whammo....my kid brings home some unyet named cold like malady that lays you out for a week. So I tend to her for a while before I catch it. Then I get all stupid and stubborn as it turns to a sinus infection. Six weeks later and I weigh the same but feel like my muscles are jello....I finished the last of the antibiotics today. Off to yoga tomorrow and then to the gym for some "warm ups." Man, I need to work out! I feel like a sloth! Recovery as you get older seems to be exponential.... <_<

8 rounds in 20. First crossfit since knee. Felt ok.

Good score given the timing ;) The sick bastards at the gym were doing it with > prescribed weight :o Saw a 13 1/2 round score w/ 115#... sheesh...

How is the knee, BTW? :)

I'm taking large doses of MSM, Glucosamine, and HA (Hyaluronic Acid) for joint related support, plus fish oil and a multi-vitamin. Seems to help - but I'm taking a ton of the stuff (as suggested by a couple of pharm guys who related that the recommended doses for those things don't generally show much effectiveness, but large doses do...).

Knees are weird joints, man. I had some pain in my left knee when I started into CrossFit, but it went away when I started taking the joint supplements - mostly noticed it when I wasn't warmed up and did squat like movements. I have to assume that mine was some kind of irritation. But... beyond that... I'm no real help for you ;)

ETA - also... fish oil... I take a lot of it ;) You would have a hard time taking too much, in the end. If you're just taking one 500mg capsule a day, or something, think about quadrupling it (or more)...

Edited by XRe

• 1 month later...
I'm taking large doses of MSM, Glucosamine, and HA (Hyaluronic Acid) for joint related support, plus fish oil and a multi-vitamin. Seems to help - but I'm taking a ton of the stuff (as suggested by a couple of pharm guys who related that the recommended doses for those things don't generally show much effectiveness, but large doses do...).

Knees are weird joints, man. I had some pain in my left knee when I started into CrossFit, but it went away when I started taking the joint supplements - mostly noticed it when I wasn't warmed up and did squat like movements. I have to assume that mine was some kind of irritation. But... beyond that... I'm no real help for you ;)

ETA - also... fish oil... I take a lot of it ;) You would have a hard time taking too much, in the end. If you're just taking one 500mg capsule a day, or something, think about quadrupling it (or more)...

Dave did you notice your medical regimen seems to have "killed" this thread?! :lol::roflol:

Where are all you crossfit junkies??

I haven't worked out in a month and I like to get my exercise vicariously from you crazy people.

Oh man...lots been goin' on.

Injured my shoulder bad about two months ago doing something stupid...been rehabbing that the entire time. Probably back to about 90% now.

Been strict zoning for a few weeks as well....already seeing massive changes in body composition.

Also got Level 1 certified about a month ago at Rogue Fitness, and hopefully opening up a box soon.

Did a modified form of Angie today (Jumping pull-ups....the kip is where I feel my shoulder injury the most). That hurt...but hey, it doesn't have to be fun to be fun right? ;)

Training to not suck at life,

Jake

Dave did you notice your medical regimen seems to have "killed" this thread?! :lol::roflol:

Oh jeez.... :rolleyes::lol:

Where are all you crossfit junkies??

Working out instead of sitting behind the computer, of course! :devil:

Did Nate tonight - AMRAP in 20 of 2 muscle ups, 4 HSPUs, 8 KB swings @ 2 pood. Scaled down - subbed pullups and ring dips for the MUs (at 2 to 1, per gym preference for this workout), and did 3/4 pood bell to go easy on the back. Did 11 rounds. Felt like I was working about as hard as I could - had to assist the dips about halfway through, and had to assist the HSPUs starting in the 4th or 5th round.

Finally did Fran as Rx'ed last week in 9:47 - first time I could do it w/o jumping any of the pullups. Righteous. I love that workout ;)

Did Nate tonight - AMRAP in 20 of 2 muscle ups, 4 HSPUs, 8 KB swings @ 2 pood. Scaled down - subbed pullups and ring dips for the MUs (at 2 to 1, per gym preference for this workout), and did 3/4 pood bell to go easy on the back.

Are KB swings bothering your back? They should be killing your hams and glutes but not your back. I know Crossfit has that Americanized two hand high swing over the head but try going just to chest level. It makes the excerise a little different but you'll be able to do what Pavel calls "taming the arc" and keep the load out of your back and in your legs and glutes. I also focus on squeezing the glutes at the top of every swing. I don't know how to explain it but that protects the back. Setting up in front of the kb helps as well especially with the heavy ones. 2 poods are nasty!

Sorry to go off on a kettlebell drift... I just go in from workout and they were still on my mind.

Are KB swings bothering your back? They should be killing your hams and glutes but not your back.

Without the outstanding injury, they don't. Most of it seems to come from the low part of the swing to the middle, actually, not the upper part. But... the back injury seems to actually now be hip soft tissue stuff, and stretching glutes, hams, piriformis, psoas (as much as I can do that, anyway), etc, seems to actually help quite a bit. I need to decide what I'm going to do from here to resolve this once and for all, though...

I know Crossfit has that Americanized two hand high swing over the head but try going just to chest level.

yeah, I'm familiar w/ the Russian swing, too - actually, almost all of the work is done by getting the weight to chest level, anyway. The American swing over head tends to add a little shoulder into the top, but ...

It makes the excerise a little different but you'll be able to do what Pavel calls "taming the arc" and keep the load out of your back and in your legs and glutes. I also focus on squeezing the glutes at the top of every swing. I don't know how to explain it but that protects the back. Setting up in front of the kb helps as well especially with the heavy ones. 2 poods are nasty!

The workout is maybe meant to be scaled - its one of the Heroes workouts (named after a fallen soldier, LEO, or firefighter), so its supposed to be tough. I was swinging pood and a half pretty smoothly before the injury, though...

I think I get what you're saying w/ squeezing the glutes. I'll give that a try ;)

Sorry to go off on a kettlebell drift... I just go in from workout and they were still on my mind.

No worries, man :D Anything that helps will help ;)

Cool, best of luck with your injury. You'll beat it.

I've come a long way with it - just knocking out the last of it is taking a while. Thanks for the links - I'll check them out in a while...

One of the guys from our SOD gave me a killer workout you guys have to try. I used a treadmill but you can also do it at a track.

25 pushups

.12 mile as fast you can

10 55 lb KB snatches each arm

.13 mile as fast as you can

10 55 lb KB one arm swings each arm

Start all over again and do a total of 6X. I have done this about 8 or 9 times now. My best time is 27 minutes and man was I smoked. My avg sustained HR was 169.

This workout will absolutely smoke you!!!!!!!

Nice workout Nova.

This one me and a buddy made up really sux.

5 rounds of:

15 walking lunges with 2- 35 lb dumbells

5 pullups

15 Bears with 45 lb bar while standing on a balance disc (platform with ball underneath)