Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossfit training

Chris Conley

Interesting excerpt from Coach today.

Larry Bird's being an, at that time, outstanding basketballer while less than very fit is the hallmark of an immature sport. Like MMA today. (Since I last offered that observation seven or eight years ago on CF.com, the MMA fitness level has skyrocketed. Especially the CrossFitters.)

Our conflating skill with fitness is understandable for the simple reason that skill is an essential part of fitness, i.e., maximizing work capacity. If they seem independent you're recognizing a distinction that nature ignores and fact defies. Nature "observes" and "respects" our confusion.

Coordination, accuracy, agility, and balance are the main/major components of skill - they are also the neurological, non-organic, components of fitness. They are also ENTIRELY interdependent of the other six components, speed, power, cardiorespiratory endurance, stamina, flexibility, and strength. Even strength IS a skill until we define strength as contractile force rather than productive application of force. Critical point: skills and strength are independent only if your definition of fitness doesn't include work capacity across broad time and modal domains.

We can readily, comfortably, empirically, and entertainingly demonstrate the interdependence of all ten of Evans and Cawley's 10 general physical skills. It's no small part of the circus that is a CrossFit L1 Certification.

Now, all that being said, it is true that a limited or narrow skill, low fitness, athlete can dominate. Once approach is to pick a narrow bandwidth sport like Mr. Everett observed of archery and weightlifting, another would be to participate in a new and low "n" (number of participants) sport, and, finally, if we look to the sports replete with skills fairly exclusive to their province, we again find low fitness, high skill all-stars. That may exhaust the possibilities and, of course, they can exist in any combination.

-Coach

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha what I got from it is that while the sport is still in it's "infancy" (numbers wise) being fit at the top levels is not as important. But once the numbers get high enough, we're gonna see a separation between the fit and the un-fit.

Haha what I got from it is that while the sport is still in it's "infancy" (numbers wise) being fit at the top levels is not as important. But once the numbers get high enough, we're gonna see a separation between the fit and the un-fit.

To a degree, I think we already see this in Open - though, we have a hard time knowing for sure since the top dogs who are arguably not all that fit don't shoot Open, so... :D Obviously, there's a lot more to it than just level of fitness, but fitness definitely has an effect - especially in certain matches....

Ok, this may be stupid but I can't find one. Is there any stopwatches out there with a countdown timer and alarm. I could have used on on today's WOD being the clock on the wall too a dump.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

bad-ass-ness is right!!! Holy crap!!!!

Big Mike is the freak that's been kicking my ass since late September last year, and the architect of my physical transformation... BTW... :lol: He's, like, 6'4" and 230#.... intimidating bastard :D

bad-ass-ness is right!!! Holy crap!!!!

Big Mike is the freak that's been kicking my ass since late September last year, and the architect of my physical transformation... BTW... :lol: He's, like, 6'4" and 230#.... intimidating bastard :D

Well I had a little guys reshaping me in the desert. He was 5' 5" and about 145!!! He benched 225 just before he left! I finally got up to 185 but I didn't work on it much.

Todays WOD in 25.01 @ 0300 in the morning. Night shift baby.

Thrusters @ 65 lbs and had to use a 35 lbs weight for the kettleball swings. Fast on the feet with a 6 min/mile pace. Now I'm ready to puke. I shouldn't have eaten 5 times tonight. :sick:

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, two of the last 3 WOD have had me puking my guts out after. At least today I made it home before I could take a knee on the soft grass of my front yard vs the parking lot last time. :sick:

On the positive side, I've done both workouts before and managed to take over a minute out of each of them from the last time.

Ack.

The doc finally ok'd me to start working out again. I started back about two weeks ago (with bikram yoga) and after 3 weeks off and OMG, I was so sore...I scaled everything too... <_< I forgot to post this last week so forgive me while I play catch up. Once I write it down here I can throw away all those little scraps of paper on my desk! Wednesday 7/2 was three rounds for time of: 45 pound Deadlift, 15 reps 45 pound Hang power clean, 12 reps, 45 pound Front Squat, 9 reps, 45 pound Push Jerk, 6 reps. Probably could have gone heavier but didn't dare to on the first WOD back. Time was 14.30 with the HPC being the slowest bit. Thursday was yoga and then I only managed 8 rounds of the continuous clock pull ups. I didn't do any of the CrossFit game wods. Monday was more yoga. Angie was scaled and I did it after my live fire session - the shade overhang on the bullseye range was built with pipes. My intention was to go for 50 of everything but I ended up at 25 because pull ups are the weak point. Around pull up number 15 I had to convert to jumping pull ups. By 23 I had blisters. Overall time was 9.40. Crossfit total was 155 squat, 45 shoulder press, and 135 dead lift. I ran out of time on the run jog and could only complete 3.25km in about 21 minutes (including 2 minute warm up). I have Sat/Sun's wod's to fit in this week.

Hanging power cleans are definitely the tough part of that particular workout, Carina ;) I think everyone got slow on them. Interestingly, I fit that one in when I needed a workout to do - our gym took the week before the 4th off... I did it with the heaviest thing I have at home, which is two 15# DBs, for a total of 30# (which is way light for a guy on that workout), so it turned into a fast metcon type workout for me. It was still enough to totally nuke my upper legs ;)

After live fire at the range today, I did today's wod. The rifle range is conveniently 100 yds deep with a nice shade overhang to do squats under. Four rounds of a 400 yard run with 35 squats took 15.23. That's 3.5 minutes slower than last time <_< Of course it was 98 degrees at the range versus the refreshing 75 degrees at the gym. Gee, think that had something to do with it?! :P

ya got me putty, i lost 8 minutes of my life i'll never get back. i guess the guy couldn't afford the rest of his shirt or a hair cut. LOL

LOL! I cant wait for Part II

Fu** Crossfit, I am doing this workout....

Dude.... time to get a sports bra.... ;)

Uh, I wear a sports bra....Oh wait, I'm a chick...I'm supposed to wear one! :roflol:

I screwed up thursday's work out because I forgot my bit of paper. I did it at the range after my live fire session. I got the dips and push ups reversed and since I didn't have a bar to do the push presses, I subbed pull ups. Anyway, four rounds in fifteen minutes. Deadlifts were 135# and I'll have to knock out the pullups tomorrow...

I just finished up filthy fifty, doing buttercups [filthy fifteen]that was tough. :sick:

I've only been doing crossfit for 2 weeks and I can already tell a big difference, I pretty much quit losing weight

but my body size is getting smaller :cheers:

Any way this is where i found out about crossfit, thanks for posting Jake.

Joseph