Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Problem

tTito

Hey guys, I'm reloading .38 supers and I have question maybe you can help

with. I switched from reloaded brass to new brass and immediately starting

having this problem. My press is a Dillon 650.

I complete the down stroke no problem. When I start the up stroke something is

sticking, I think either the brass in the re-sizing die or the seater die or

perhaps the one the bells the case mouth.

As I start the upstroke there is some resistance then a "snap" of whatever

was stuck getting un-stuck. Of course this sends powder flying everywhere.

:(

Any ideas which die it may be and or what's causing it?

This is usualy the powder belling die for me. When mine starts sticking I just rub it with my fingers that have some one shot lube on them from picking up cases. I bet once they are once fired that it will be better.

41mag

+1 to what 41mag said. With new brass, i notice the powder drop/belling die on the upstroke has a bit more resistance than older brass. A bit of cleaning of that die helps a bit for a while.

Edited by yoshidaex

With new Starline brass I was having to apply case lube, but don't need to since I started running the new brass through the case cleaner before loading. I also deburr the case mouth inside and out. I'll wipe down the belling die if I begin to feel resistance at the loading station. (550B)

I had the same problem. Is it Starline brass? In any event there are two ways to handle this issue if we had the same problem. First is use Dillon case lubricant. It makes a big difference. Also, if you run your new cases through your cleaning and then polishing compound for about 15 minutes that really helps too.

I had the same problem. Is it Starline brass? In any event there are two ways to handle this issue if we had the same problem. First is use Dillon case lubricant. It makes a big difference. Also, if you run your new cases through your cleaning and then polishing compound for about 15 minutes that really helps too.

Interesting I guess I'll try dumping the brass in the tumbler too and see if that helps.

BTW it's R-P .38 super +P Nickel

This will happen with all new brass, not just Starline. Completely normal.

After it is fired, it will go away.

Happy reloading!

Well, if I don't do something to fix the problem, the brass will never become once fired. It's causing powder to fly everywhere, and making it nearly impossible to load.

Especially with new brass, I'm a believer in a little light-duty case lube with pistol-caliber carbide dies. Cheap lanolin hydrous (in tube at a good drug store) will greatly ease the press stroke, while not deactivating primers or powder. A 1/2" long string of the stuff from the tube, rubbed between your palms and then rubbed lightly in 300-400 .38 Super cases will do wonders. Apply to your clean brass just before you load, as the white cream evaporates away in a few hours in the open air. I have used lanolin hydrous for years with all straight wall pistol calibers, for both new and used bass.

Dillon says it's the new brass and it's part of the impact extrusion (?) process that cuases the inside of the case to be rough. This causes the case mouth expander to stick inside the case mouth.

Solution:

1) tumble brass

2) wipe expander with steel wool and/or Scotch Bright

Especially with new brass, I'm a believer in a little light-duty case lube with pistol-caliber carbide dies. Cheap lanolin hydrous (in tube at a good drug store) will greatly ease the press stroke, while not deactivating primers or powder. A 1/2" long string of the stuff from the tube, rubbed between your palms and then rubbed lightly in 300-400 .38 Super cases will do wonders. Apply to your clean brass just before you load, as the white cream evaporates away in a few hours in the open air. I have used lanolin hydrous for years with all straight wall pistol calibers, for both new and used bass.

+1

I've been telling people this for a long time but hardly anyone seems to know about/believe it. Lanolin is the lubricant in many commercial case lubes...it's just not coming out of a spray can this way.