Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching to Production from SS

tryan1968

Due to the cost of ammo, I have decided to switch to Production from Single Stack. I am looking at purchasing a G17 to use in this division. Please, correct me if I am wrong. From the searches I have done, it looks like doing the following mods will get me as far as I can go:

1. The .25 cent trigger job.

2. Extended mag release

3. New sights.

Other than those mods, practice with the new blaster is what is going to make the most difference.

I use Uncle Mikes in SS. It's ok. I made do with it and spent my money on ammo. I would like the holster to be able to cant forward a small amount off of vertical. I was looking at the BladeTec gear. I read that the shooter's thumb is blocked from wrapping the pistol due to the DOH holster. Some type of spacers are the solution, correct?

For mag pouches, I'm looking at Uncle Mikes or BladeTec double mag holders. I noticed with the Uncle Mikes SS double mag holders that on some reloads, my middle finger will catch on the mag pad and pull it either, all the way out or some of the way out. Has anyone experienced this with the BladeTec pouches?

If anyone can think of something I need to take a look at please mention it.

Thanks for the help,

TRyan

I feel your pain - as a dedicated SS shooter, the cost of .45 reloading components is just flat out nuts.

I swapped to shooting primarily lead bullets in practice and most local matches. The FMJ stuff is saved for big matches....

If switching to Production is going to be your plan, you might want to look at the M&P or the XD over the Glock. Both have grip angles that are a LOT closer to a 1911 than a Grock. Maybe even the new Ruger SR9, although I have no experience with that pistol - and the other two have proven themselves to be very capable Production guns.

Dang Catfish...did a Glock steal your girlfriend or sumptin' ???

:lol::lol:

:goof:

Well, there was this one time when.....

Nah, as a 1911 shooter myself, it's much easier for me to pick up either the XD or M&P than a Glock and shoot where I'm pointing. I think Glocks are fantastic pistols, they just point in the wrong place. ;)

tryan,

You are on the right path. Keep it simple and go for it.

I personally like the DOH holster and have two of them. I do not have an issue with my thumb, but others do. If it becomes an issue you can take the Drop/offset spacer out and just wear it on the belt higher. I use both bladetech mag pouches and Uncle mikes mag pouches and havent had a problem with either in regards to the mag canting and catching another mag on a reload. I prefer the blade-tech mag pouches because they feel smoother when pulling the mag from the pouch, but that's a very minor thing. The Uncle Mikes double mag pouches work just as well for less $.

A side note on the blade-tech holster, if you go this route, I would recommend getting a G34/35 holster instead of the G17 holster. I say this because they are the same price and the holster will accomidate any 5" and any 5 1/2" small frame Glock. It's less than one inch longer than a G17 holster, but much more appealing if you ever decide to sell it, and more versatile if you ever decide to pick up a G34 or 35.

i may have missed it when i was skimming, but you cannot have an after market extended slide release in production. that is why a lot of guys use a 34/45 it has all the big parts from the factory.

Sure you can, as long as it's a Glock original part. They're available as a factory option on all models.....

1. The .25 cent trigger job.

2. Extended mag release

3. New sights.

Other than those mods, practice with the new blaster is what is going to make the most difference.

If anyone can think of something I need to take a look at please mention it.

4. Some of Eric Wesselman's Tru-grip grip tape -- it should come standard from the factory, but since it doesn't yet, you can scoot down to the dealer's section......

If your used to single stack and want to shoot it from time to time the S&W M&P might also be a good choice. Similarly priced trigger job, Closer grip angle, interchangeable grips, and i love the holster it came with from the factory!

You can get a 34 instead of a 17 which will have the mag release already installed.

Catfish, thanks for yours ideas on the XD and M&P but I'm good with the Gl7.

SAFriday, I'll look into the 34/35 holster. Good info on the mag pouches, thanks. Would you recommend any other holsters besides the BladeTec?

Thanks,

TRyan

Kytac Superhooper is pretty sweet too, but you will wait to get it.

Comp-tac also makes some good kydex stuff, and their beltfeed mag syetem ain't too shabby.

Can't believe I forgot Tru-grip... Gotta have, period.

Thanks for the info Steve.

SAfriday, I check into the hoslters you mentioned, thanks.

What is the deal with Eric's Tru-grip. I checked out his website. With the expection of the glue, it looks like skate board tape, which I have on one of my Glocks.

Thanks for help,

TRyan

Thanks for the info Steve.

SAfriday, I check into the hoslters you mentioned, thanks.

What is the deal with Eric's Tru-grip. I checked out his website. With the expection of the glue, it looks like skate board tape, which I have on one of my Glocks.

Thanks for help,

TRyan

It's skate board tape for lack of a better term --- but it's the best skateboard tape out there. Precut, just abrasive enough, easy to install and replace as needed --- I tend to get several years out of mine, but I'm sure that the dry-fire demons on the board go through it a little faster....

I don't own a glock without it....

Setting up an IPSC gun for any division always entails some agony. We all have our favorite mods to do to our guns to make them feel right. And after many of years of stumbling around I'm going back to the KISS philosophy. Only a few steps to follow. After that it's ALL practice:

grip tape

good sights

trigger job (spend all ya want...or...$.25)

The rest comes with what seems to work best for you...Lead/no lead...reload/buy ammo...gear, etc. Get all the advice ya can fm shooters you respect...those who do well...Once you find the right division to shoot in it will start to come together. And with copious amounts of practice you will surprise yourself. Simple. Good basics, practice, success. A Glock 17 is a good choice. It can take you far.

I recently switched from SS to Production.

Not to save money, but that is a plus, but because there is little interest or participation in single stack at my club.

Production on the other hand has become our largest division.

The G17 is a fine pistol, but the finger groves and grip angle don’t work well for me.

I went with the M&P9, I can’t think of anything negative to say about it.

I did a 0 cent trigger job and blacked out the white dots on the sights, the rest is stock.

I like grip tape on an un-checkered 1911 but the grip texture on the M&P works for me as is.

If you haven’t reloaded 9mm before it’s a lot less forgiving then reloading 45ACP, it’s very easy to over crimp, and if you use range brass, make sure you gage your match ammo.

I am using EGW’s undersize sizing die and still gets few that will not fit in the gage.

Edited by AK74

For your G17.

Sevigny/Warren sights (black on black or black w/fiber front), extended mag release, 3.5# connector, $.25 trigger job.

Kytac SuperHooper 1st choice, Uncle Mike's 2nd (Blade-tech DOH huwts my wittle thumb)

CR Speed belt and mag pouches.

No more skatebaord tape for me, just wears off too quickly - use rosin bag to keep hands dry for grip ($.99 to $1.99 from local sporting goods).

The 5187 Safariland holster has worked out very well for me and the G17.

5187_l.jpg

Plenty fast attached to CR Speed's belt system. Has a soft suede interior too. :blush:

Two Uncle Mike double mag pouches.

Stock sights for now. I blacked out the white outline on the rear sight and just "shoot the dot".

Works far better than I thought it would.

Lone Wolf Dist 3.5# connector. "Enhanced" <_< .25cent trigger job. Defined. A stock trigger spring. "Feels" better to me.

FWIW. And, I've taken to polishing the holy heck out of the striker where the spring cups slide. That and replacing the

stock cups with the marine type and a reduced power striker spring. Skate tape. That's it.

Jim M