Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 reloading on a 1050

scirocco38s

Gentlemen, I am working with a friend to load 223 on a 1050. We are wondering if anyone has mounted a Dillon case trimmer on a 1050 and where? I have been told it can be done but am having a hard time figuring out exactly where it would be. Any help or info is appreciated.

Why would you want the brass chips, even with the shop vac working, getting all over the press and possibly inside some of the cases?

Use a single stage press for the cutting and the 1050 for the loading.

Most intel on the Dillon trimmer is that it is notorious for leaving lots of burrs on the case mouths necessitating cleaning them up before loading....otherwise at best it makes seating bullets more difficult and at worst you risk damaging the bullet while seating and losing some accuracy

Why would you want the brass chips, even with the shop vac working, getting all over the press and possibly inside some of the cases?

Use a single stage press for the cutting and the 1050 for the loading.

yeah, I was trying to help a friend try to load 223 on a large scale, trying to see if we could streamline it on the press alone. I know guys loading 223 on 650's this way and they dont have issues with brass shavings, so I was looking to see if it applied to the 1050.

i do the trimmer on a single stage first, with redding variable shell plates. this way you get really accurate headspace. i talked to somebody at dillon a while back, and that's what the gizmo was designed to do, trim and set headspace at one time. there's not really any more sizing necessary. it might work on a 1050, but i gotta wonder about a 650. i don't know if everybody gets the headspace issue here......it ain't a staight-wall pistol cartridge....

Dave,

I'm not too worried about it right now, as I have a pretty good source for brass and I get to load it and leave it. But I will certainly consider it.

I should have added that there was some advise to make sure the cutter was well taken care of and sharp which reduced the the burring.

PS... quit trying to take away my excuses for buying a Gracey :D

Edited by smokshwn

One of my 1050s is set up doing this right now....... :ph34r:

We have done 2 5 gallon buckets and I have most of one left as well to do........Didnt know it wouldnt work well so I did it anyway...... :o;);) . I figured that I would just tear down and clean it up when I was done anyway.

I have a sizing die in the first station, then the swager for the crimp. I then have the trimmer across from the swager. I have the first sizing die screwed down most of the way, mostly for popping out primers if they werent already out. We then set up the trimmer with rounds in all stations until we got our magic number at 1.750.

The trick with the Dillon trimmer is to hold the trimmer down on the case for a second or so after you trim. The cutter then cleans up the cut. I know some people who try to fly through the trimmer, but we hold the handle down for a second or two, and they come out really nice. It sucks with all the noise from the trimmer and the vaccum, but get some sump pump hose for the vaccum and you can move it away from you. I wear some big earmuffs and just run the trimmer until I think it gets hot, then stop. It is tedious, but it would be more tedious if I wasnt using the 1050...... :wacko::)

Hope this helps,

DougC