Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once Used Brass

Yaarr

I also like the Winchester. I get a lot of Federal and have never had a problem with it. I wound up with some Fioochi and Interstate (don't know how) and from now on will be recycling all of those two particular brands.

By the way guys, it is for caliber 357 SIG, not that I guess that changes much, as it is really more about the Brass quality and Primer seat, etc and consistency and quality that I am asking.

But I figure that you should know.

One thing I've noticed about Federal brass in 10mm, if I run across a cracked case after a reload or three, it's a Federal case nine out of ten times. These are not overly hot loads, BTW, just target loads.

And in 9mm, the brass that feels roughest running in my 550B is, in this order, S&B by a long shot, then probably Federal. Not problematic, just not as smooth in the press.

I normally save once or twice fired Winchester for match brass and run the mixed case stuff for practice. I shoot at a range with a lot of LE training so I get a chance to scarf up a reasonable quantity of Remington brass in 9mm. For some reason, the Remington brass consistently seems to load a two or three .001 longer than the Winchester on average...Speer runs just the opposite, a few thousands shorter.

EDITED: because typos drive me :wacko:

Edited by BayouSlide

One thing I've noticed about Federal brass in 10mm, if I run across a cracked case after a reload or three, it's a Federal case nine out of ten times. These are not overly hot loads, BTW, just target loads.

And in 9mm, the brass that feels roughest running in my 550B is, in this order, S&B by a long shot, then probably Federal. Not problematic, just not as smooth in the press.

I normally save once or twice fired Winchester for match brass and run the mixed case stuff for practice. I shoot at a range with a lot of LE training so I get a chance to scarf up a reasonable quantity of Remington brass in 9mm. For some reason, the Remington brass consistently seems to load a two or three .001 longer than the Winchester on average...Speer runs just the opposite, a few thousands shorter.

EDITED: because typos drive me :wacko:

Yeah cheers.

So far, the only 357 SIG Brass that we can get over here is S+B (in full rounds and then reload), but my experience with them in 9mm is that I don't really like them at all.

or Starline, which costs a small fortune.

It is a legal caliber over here, but no one uses it, so you simply cannot pick up any used Brass.

Thats why I was looking to US.

As I am led to believe that it is popular with some Law Officials over there and so it is possible to purchase some 357 SIG once fired Brass.

But it seems that PMC and Speer are the ones most offered.

I just wondered, as we used to like to reload PMC 9mm here, years back, when we could purchase them.

What do you think?

If you're looking for sources of .357" SiG once-fired brass, you might want to check with The BrassMan, looks like they have good prices.

Or, maybe you already did it, since you list Speer and PMC as alternatives ...

I've been buying .40" SW once-fired brass from them since 4 or 5 years, and a box of 3'000 brass, shipped to Italy, costed me about 100 euros last spring.

Edited by Skywalker

Cheers Luca, yes that was one of the places I looked at.

I was just wondering of the quality of which Brass is the best to aim for.

Then I would worry about getting it over here.

I have ordered 1000 Starline, but it costs so much.

Cheers...

Speer is very good brass. I've had good luck with both 9 & 40.

Once, i got a bunch of 357 sig mixed in the 40. Loaded it up and shot it anyway. No problems.

That being said, I prefer Fed for my once fired and Starline if I'm buying new.

OK, maybe a new possibility has presented itself.

I guess that in the terms of reloading once fired brass... Winchester, Federal or Fiocchi are all fine?

But which do you think is best and why?

Thanks for the help.