Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 short - trying lead bullets

jasond

I've been using 158 raniers in short colt cases, 3.3 red dot and 1.150 oal. the load works great, but every time i order bullets they're $5 more. i have a couple boxes of hornady 158 lrns to try. i'll reduce it and work up, but what should I expect? will it take less to make PF? i get about 132 now.

I've been using 158 raniers in short colt cases, 3.3 red dot and 1.150 oal. the load works great, but every time i order bullets they're $5 more. i have a couple boxes of hornady 158 lrns to try. i'll reduce it and work up, but what should I expect? will it take less to make PF? i get about 132 now.

IIRC going from jacketed to lead you will gain about 100fps in the 38 specials.

Check on the Horndays......I didnt know they made Hardcast lead....I though it was all swaged.....make sure that it is hardcast, or you will have a bad day cleaning the barrel with that load. I have had good luck with lead bullets and TG in the short colt, but you need to be careful with that heavy of a bullet and fast powders. Reduce quite a bit and work the load up carefully. I know of at least one cylinder that was blown up with 158s and Unique powder....

The Short colt is approxiamately the same case as 9x19, so you can use that data..

Good luck,

DougC

My experience is the opposite of Doug's - at least in .38 Special at that PF, hard cast lead bullets tend to lead more than swaged ones. OTOH, the cast bullets are about the right hardness for Major. Loading them in .38 SC cases may cause problems due to the long bullet jump to the throat, but I'd say the hard cast bullets would be worse in this regard. I've never loaded .38 SC.

Try the Hornadys and see how they work out. They're advertised as 5% antimony, while the standard "hard cast" alloy is 6%, so they actually might be close in performance to the cast ones.

I'm going to load some up tonight, 10 ea. @ 3.0grs, 3.1,3.2,3.3 and see how they shoot. I tried hornady hbwc's just as .38spl plinkers awhile ago, and they were very accurate. I shoot .357 jhp's through the gun too, and never find any lead, but I don't remember whether the hornadys smoked much.

I wasn't getting great accuracy out of the ranier plated bullets until I backed way off the crimp, but they go into about

2-1/2" now, good enough for uspsa.

I've never seen any 9x19 data for bullets this heavy. I can get red dot for $50/4 lbs through my club, and it works, so I'm not about to try anything else.

I'll let you guys know how it works out after I try them.

I'm going to load some up tonight, 10 ea. @ 3.0grs, 3.1,3.2,3.3 and see how they shoot. I tried hornady hbwc's just as .38spl plinkers awhile ago, and they were very accurate. I shoot .357 jhp's through the gun too, and never find any lead, but I don't remember whether the hornadys smoked much.

I wasn't getting great accuracy out of the ranier plated bullets until I backed way off the crimp, but they go into about

2-1/2" now, good enough for uspsa.

I've never seen any 9x19 data for bullets this heavy. I can get red dot for $50/4 lbs through my club, and it works, so I'm not about to try anything else.

I'll let you guys know how it works out after I try them.

Berry Bullets are $65.44 a 1000 shipped to your door. I use their bullets in 38 special and have had good luck. You could have 250 shipped to you for $18.39 and you could try them out. Just another suggestion.

Oops! I forgot how long I load these things. There's plenty of knurling left showing on the bullet, doesn't look good. I ordered the raniers, i'll load the lead as 38spl plinkers. That way I can use them for matches in a pinch.

If I am not mistaken, Berry's are much longer? I've gotta give them a try. Who has them at that price?

Oops! I forgot how long I load these things. There's plenty of knurling left showing on the bullet, doesn't look good. I ordered the raniers, i'll load the lead as 38spl plinkers. That way I can use them for matches in a pinch.

If I am not mistaken, Berry's are much longer? I've gotta give them a try. Who has them at that price?

Sorry about the price quote. I haven't ordered from them for awhile and I found out that when you get to the check out they add on a lead surcharge which will double the price.

Edited by revoman

I haven't loaded short colt, but I have a lot of plain 38 smith and wesson, and of course 38 special. I concur about swaged leading much worse than hard cast. Laser Cast or the like just don't seem to lead unless they are smokin hot loads.

Might want to try a smaller outfit like www.tennesseevalleybullets.com I just got 1500 38 DEWC's from him delivered for about 100 bucks.

A "lead surcharge" at checkout? If that's true, (and I'll check next time i'm buying), that's one sleazy bait and switch tactic. I did go to Berry's site and saw them for $62, and thought I'd get them there next time.

A "lead surcharge" at checkout? If that's true, (and I'll check next time i'm buying), that's one sleazy bait and switch tactic. I did go to Berry's site and saw them for $62, and thought I'd get them there next time.

Let me know how it comes out.

I've put over 20K Berry's through my Colt sixguns and I've found Berry's to be a good outfit.

As for the "bait and switch" take on the price adjustment, I'd say it's more of a website/catalog issue.

Speaking as someone who's managed a few websites, I know it would take hours to get all of those prices changed. Berry's chose to go with the surcharge at the end of the order process, which I would guess is quicker, more predictable, and lets them keep the increase tight to the price they're having to make.

I agree that if you don't know about it, the confusion could be irritating.

The good part is that they don't have to guess six months out like some other places and can hold it to a week-by-week adjustment.

It's a good, and a bad, method.

But it's better than jacking the price to match the guessed-at level of next summer.

Bill

I know the metal markets are volatile, what I'm saying is they need to be up front. I know more than a couple people who use Berry's.

I'm loading up the 600 Hornadys as .38 spl, I'll let you guys know how they shoot.