Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting An Open Gun

grim death

I have been shooting a pistol, of any kind, since 9-02. Before I knew anything about the sport I saw a picture of an open gun and thought that was the coolest thing that I had ever seen, and I had to have one.The first couple of people that I met said that since I had never shot a pistol before that I should start with a limited gun and learn how to shoot.I like shooting limited and I am starting to win my class at the local clubs I shoot at on a regular basis. Should I wait until I move up in class to switch to an open gun? Did I really need to start with a limited gun or could I have started with an open gun? My brother wants to start shooting now and someone told him the same thing about starting with a limited gun. Is this true?

Thanks,

grim

the suggestion to start with limited is to refine your technique before making the signifigant financial and time investment on the purchase and learning to shoot another pistol. i'm still in that transition period myself. but if the mood suits you, and if your shooting club will allow it, and you can afford it; why not shoot both? the skills learned in both disiplines would compliment each other.

I know a couple of people that have started with Open guns, mostly wives/girlfriends of die-hard shooters. It works for them and it probably does make the learning curve a little easier since the basics of aiming and firing are much easier with a dot and light trigger.

Downside is the extra noise and blast can cause flinching. Also Open guns are typically more highly tuned than Limted guns and can be finickier and less tolerant of poor reloads and other things beginners may do to them.

Starting out with an open gun makes it possible to bypass some of the fundementals you will need later if you want to reach your maximum potential as a shooter. It is very difficult to go back a learn these. Start out with a basic pistol that has decent sights and trigger and is reliable then move up as your skill increases. You are also facing a learning curve for reloading in the quantities neccessary for practice. If you have someone nearby who can help you get started you can jump right into a progressive loader. HTH

I started with iron sights then went to Open so I can't speak to this from personal experience. Still, I see no reason why a person couldn't start with an optic sighted blaster and get pretty good with it. I would think the only pitfall would be developing a bad case of "scope vision" if you weren't careful.

grim,

Shooting an Open gun is about the most fun since monkey-bars and merry-go-rounds.

If you are after pure fun, that has to be the way to go (as long as you reload and realize that Open guns tend to need some TLC).

For skill development, a Production gun is the ticket. Once you get that down (doing quick reloads, doping out a stage, hitting all Alphas), then you can try it at Major power factor in Limited or Limited 10.

Flex-

In Sept.of 2002 I bought my first pistol.It was a brand new STI EDGE,I put a long SVI trigger in it ( set at 1 1/2 lbs ) a stainless guide and a GRAMS tungston mag well on it for balance.I have been spending alot of time at the range.I also have been shooting steel matches as well as ipsc matches almost every sat. & sun.I am starting to win my class almost every weekend but I'm falling apart on my classifiers.I do want to get an open gun because they look so cool and it seems that when I get to a level where I could get a match win I would have to have an open gun.Should I wait until I get an A or a B card.I did get to shoot an open gun with a tri bred(?) comp with a bushing barrel. Is that a good way to go or is a cone barrel with a added comp the way? I know that open is the way I want and need to go to eventually get to the top of the game.What way will help me the most?

Thanks for the insight,

grim

I know that open is the way I want and need to go to eventually get to the top of the game.What way will help me the most?

Your asking the wrong guy here. I just don't think equipment is the way to the top. ;)

Maybe I'm asking it the wrong way. Are the match winners at big matches ( area & nationals) or matches with a good prize table, are the winners usually shooting an open gun?I too am a firm believer that practice and dedication will get a moderately skilled shooter better and further than a person trying to be moderatly good because of their eguipment.

Maybe I'm asking it the wrong way. Are the match winners at big matches ( area & nationals) or matches with a good prize table, are the winners usually shooting an open gun?I too am a firm believer that practice and dedication will get a moderately skilled shooter better and further than a person trying to be moderatly good because of their eguipment.

Uh, if I understand your question correctly, it seems like you're really asking about divisions?

People who shoot Open Division do not compete directly against those in Limited, Limited-10, Production, or Revolver. The big matches will have winners in each division, completely separate from each other.

The details for the equipment restrictions for each division are in an appendix of the rule book.