Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tennis plates

dirtypool40

You need a plate rack (or two), some distance and at least two shooters. Great way to end a practice session.

Back up from the plates. We could only get to 35y so that's where we shot from. (50 is better still!!) :goof:

Shooter #1 gets one round at the first plate. If he hits it, shooter #2 shoots at the next plate.

There's no score until someone misses their plate. If it's shooter #1's plate and he misses, #2 get's a chance to score. Like an "advantage" in tennis.

The pressure ebbs and flows. On your plates the pressure is not to give an opening, on his, be ready to snatch a point.

You have to be far enough back that it's a tough shot, I'd say at least 25-30y, I got this idea from shooting plates in a group from 50y at the "Burner's".

Grab a partner and try it. :cheers:

I played a game at the end of one session that went like this:

One steel plate, and two bowling pins, Each player starts with a set number of drinks he owes the other player (7 for our match). The plate (loose, not on rack) is stood up with the bowling pins on either side, and slightly in front of the plate. The pins start perfectly even with the edges of the plate. The object is to shoot the plate without dropping the pins, or missing the plate. So, player one shoots the plate, reset (if necessary) player two shoots. Next round the pins are moved closer towards the center, about and inch or so each round, and players shoot again. Each hit the player makes on the plate drops one drink off of what he owes his buddy. After about six rounds of this, with the pins closing-in closer and closer each round, the last shot should wind up with the pins touching, belly-to-belly, and only the top edge of the plate visible. A very tough shot, but very doable. In the end, if you hit all your shots, you don't owe any drinks, but if you missed a round you owe for that set. If you both missed, then theroretically you both would owe.

All in all it was a great way to wind down a shoting session, and in general is a very good game for tough shot/accuracy training.

Kind of like TGO and BE used to do...shoot and back up, shoot and back up...first one to miss buys drinks...

Played that game with Robbie many, many times. Before you start - just know it's a loser . . .

I may have won sometimes. I don't remember. The number of losses . . . that I remember . . .

J

if I EVER won that game against TGO I'd NEVER forget it!!!

You say that. I lost enough to know who was better . . .

Of course I say it like that and it sucks. :angry2:

The really cool thing about that game is you get to a point where you're shooting a small target at like 80 yards. You don't think about it "in the game" but once done you're like "damn . . . " I hit that target from 77 yards. Missed at 80. But 77 feels pretty good!

Of course TGO was probably waiting to get to 100 yards. Guess I should have shot better . . .

J

Funny you mention that distance. Before I ever got into IPSC IDPA or anything, I was just a plinker.

Shooting at a range that backed up to a dump, I dropped a Mt. Dew can on the berm and paced off 78 paces back to the firing line. I hit it first shot with a glock 19!! Probably the best single shot I ever fired, not sure I could do that again in 20 tries, but I hit it that day.

Also, I was talking to some SF types about testing a certain pistol, they were thrilled with the accuracy and were shooting plates back to 150+ yards!!! :blink: