Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Groups

JThompson

We have been talking about shooting groups... I decided to see what I could do slow fire. Here's the test... set the par for 20s and shoot the A headshot with ten rounds from HAS. I used my open with the 12moa dot at about 165pf. First try was 10 shots 9As and 1 b. The time was 19.6s.

Shoot it and post it...

Edited by JThompson

Jim, I am planning to come down next weekend for the match, would be happy to shoot this drill with you and see what shakes out, you just have to remind me while I am there......

I'm not sure I understand the drill but I ain't skeered, I'll shoot any drill that gets me some trigger time and might teach me something. We might be able to talk Darryl into showing us the way it should be done too, I think he will be there and will also be shooting Open.

Jim, I am planning to come down next weekend for the match, would be happy to shoot this drill with you and see what shakes out, you just have to remind me while I am there......

I'm not sure I understand the drill but I ain't skeered, I'll shoot any drill that gets me some trigger time and might teach me something. We might be able to talk Darryl into showing us the way it should be done too, I think he will be there and will also be shooting Open.

The drill was all about trigger isolation... we have a practice today and I intend to shoot all As. This will, most likely, be slower than I usually shoot, but it will be honest. I'll let ya know how I do.

As to this weeks match... it's the classifier one and I don't much care if I shoot those or not. I haven't decided if I will attend that one or not, but I would be happy to meet you down there even if I don't shoot that one. We could always do some drills after.

Edited by JThompson

I'll see if I can dig up some US targets to do this. With the 9mm G17 this seems like a tough drill (to shoot with all A's). I wonder if I can do that no matter what the time limit. That upper A-zone is tiny from 25 yds., even with the .090" front sight :)

I'll see if I can dig up some US targets to do this. With the 9mm G17 this seems like a tough drill (to shoot with all A's). I wonder if I can do that no matter what the time limit. That upper A-zone is tiny from 25 yds., even with the .090" front sight :)

Let me know how it goes... I shoot a dot, so it's a bit easier on me, but at that range the 12moa just about covers the whole head. I was blown away that I could put that many that tight.

25 yd headshots is a skill that every M or GM shooter has or should have at their disposal...but I would not spend a great deal of time or energy on something like this...how often do you see it at a match...used to see it a lot, not any more...I would instead practice something that would really benefit me at a match...perhaps a drill to enhance your movement into and out of the box while making a reload.

I would practice those 25 yd headshots about as much as I would WH only shooting....some, but not a lot.

25 yd headshots is a skill that every M or GM shooter has or should have at their disposal...but I would not spend a great deal of time or energy on something like this...how often do you see it at a match...used to see it a lot, not any more...I would instead practice something that would really benefit me at a match...perhaps a drill to enhance your movement into and out of the box while making a reload.

I would practice those 25 yd headshots about as much as I would WH only shooting....some, but not a lot.

It's something that I added to end my training with. I'm starting to relize what I can do with the gun... not so much trusting the gun, but my ability to control it. It's nice to know the shot is there even if you don't need it often. I having a feeling there is going to be a 25yd head shot tonight... :) since I'm one of the ones setting up the cof... :)

Thanks for the input TL ;)

Edited by JThompson

25yd HEAD SHOT!!!!!!

too bad I can't make it tonight!!!!

You could hit it if I could get you to slow down a notch. ;) I'm shooting As tonight Coot. Time is not a factor... (shoot As shoot As shoot As)

True how true, I will be down Sunday too shoot. Let me know how things went tonight!

How'd it go... well, I had two mikes and a D! lol We had to shoot through two barrels side by side and I must have had the gun slightly canted on two of the shots because I went down to check the hits and they weren't there. I was freaking out because I called them both as As. I look over to the target beside it and there's four hits... two high and tumbled. It dawned on me what happened and I went back to the barrel and looked... sure enough there were two creases where I just hit it enough to throw the shots off.

I would say my all A night was a failure... I've been standing to much during practice. I need to work on some movement drills and that will be the theme for the next few weeks. I'm working in and out of the boxes and movement between them. I had a blast with the guys, but the shooting wasn't where I thought it would be. Time to take a step back and regroup.

Why not?
My sentiments exactly.
Time to take a step back and regroup.
Good advice. Sorry to hear about the hits on the barrels. Man I hate shooting a dot gun around ports and obstacles.

I was getting cocky... it was a good lesson. I also found that getting that dot where I want it while drawing and moving needs a ton of work. Not so much on a stand upright shoot, but if I have to adjust to a port height I have an issue picking up the dot. Back to the range for some more work. ;)

Edited by JThompson

Sounds like fun!! I will have to get to the range early this Friday and give it a shot (or several) before the match. There have been several times we have had head shots at 15 to 20 yards indoors and some out to about 35 yards at the local outdoor club. Always something to test your skills if you ask me.

Joe W.

• 4 weeks later...