Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taking a 550 apart

Hi guys, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me a little help. I know I need to and will call Dillon, but it's the weekend and I'm curios. I have a quite old 550, that does not have the lube holes on the linkage pins. It has recently become hard to operate, so I am tearing it apart to grease pins, etc. I read the posts on 550 lubrication which were helpful, but what I really need to know is how to get the upper pins out on the arms that attatch to the main body of the press, specifically the arm that holds the spent primer cup. It looks like they drive in to the main shaft cavity, but I don't really want to break anything. I bought the press used from a co-worker a number of years ago, and don't have a manual. Any help would be appreciated. Also I seen in a post where you need an alignment tool once the press is taken apart, is that true? Thanks

you'll need 2 long drift pins. can't recall the sizes off the top of my head. One of the pivot pins is hollow. insert drift pin through the hollow pin to drive the solid pin out. use the larger drift pin to drive the other pin out.

Also I seen in a post where you need an alignment tool once the press is taken apart, is that true? Thanks

Yup. Dillon will send you one. I cracked the main crank on an old 550 and had to totaly rebuild the press. I got one with the replacement crank from Dillon.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Ok, since I'm a nice guy and there might be other stupid people like myself reading this, I'll share what I've learned in the past 2 hours. If you don't have a manual, just go to the dillon website and download one(duh!), Scooter; thanks for the clear input on how to take those pins out, it was a snap. I've also learned that if you spray any thin lubricant(like rem oil) into the hinge pins, it just washes away the grease that is supposed to be lubing them, and probably carries any foreign material into the pin area to cause even more damage. I didn't sustain any real damage, but lesson learned. I think I'll still call dillon to maybe check on some new link arms with the grease holes in them. Thanks to everybody for the help, and happy loading everyone!!!!