Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I take it that if I spend $30 and get a C&R FFL permit then send copies to Midway and Brownells, I get a HUGE discount. Is it really that simple or am I missing something in the fine print somewhere? :unsure:

So I take it that if I spend $30 and get a C&R FFL permit then send copies to Midway and Brownells, I get a HUGE discount. Is it really that simple or am I missing something in the fine print somewhere? :unsure:

Trust me. You're not missing anything.

What is a C&R FFL permit?

I like to save money but not at the expense of having the ATF watching over me?

Think of it as essentially an "old gun" collector's permit that allows you to buy and recieve in the mail certain guns over 50 years old & a few models on a BATFE list. Typically, these guns include old surplus bolt action military rifles, but also included are some semi-auto pistols like older Lugers, Broomhandle Mausers, the CZ-82. Virtually no popular USPSA handguns are on the list.

AND, it gives you discounts from many retailers. Add to that: you are not required to have a "store front" and the cost is a lot lower than your local gunshop's FFL.

What it DOES NOT do:

-you may NOT deal in guns (new or old) to other people or do "transfers" for friends.

-you may NOT do commercial gunsmithing or reloading for profit or for others.

While the BATFE regularly inspects the businesses of "commercial" FFL holders (like your local gunshop) they usually leave C&R FFL holders alone unless they discover a problem or you give them cause to pay you a visit. Seems like a decent deal for the money and time involved.

"COLLECTOR OF CURIOS AND RELICS.

(pertains exclusively to firearms classified as curios and relics, and it's purpose is to facilitate a personal collection. It is NOT a license to buy and sell curios and relics.

18 U.S.C 923( B )

Fee:

$ 30.00 for three (3) years.

Application: ATF Form 7 CR (5310.16)"

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_collect.htm

It's basicly a license to collect firearms. It allows you to purchase C&R approved firearm across state lines and/or have them shipped directly to your home. C&R firearms are generally manufactured more than 50 years ago. There are newer ones but they have to be the exact models on the approved list as published by the ATF. You also have to maintain a bound record of all firearms transactions and you are subject to an annual inspection of the premises where the the firearms are kept. I've not had an inspection yet, but I've heard that in some cases you can make an appointment and bring your bound book to the ATF office. I have not verified that though.

The application process is easy. complete the form, have it signed by your local law enforcement office and they send in the application. Mine took about 30 days to receive.

Edited by pas44

From everything I've read, the ATF pretty much leaves C&R licensee's alone unless you draw attention to yourself through actions that would probably draw attention anyways. Tinfoil hats optional.

Besides, with a C&R PMags = $11.97 :cheers: That right there will pay for it.

From the Midway Website:

Federal Firearms License

* Federal Firearms License: (FFL or C&R) Please fax or mail a current, signed in ink copy of your FFL to MidwayUSA.

* Expiration: Dealer accounts have an Expiration Date. For FFL’s, we use the Expiration Date as issued by the BATFE. As a reminder, we will send you an email on or about 30 days before your Dealer document is set to expire. When your FFL expires, your account will be changed to Retail status and we will need a new FFL from you to re-establish your Dealer credentials.

Contact Information:

Mailing Address:

MidwayUSA

Attention: Dealer Sales

5875 West Van Horn Tavern Road

Columbia, MO 65203

Telephone: 1-800-243-3220

Fax Number: 1-800-992-8312

Email: DealerSales@MidwayUSA.com

That is one of the seven (7) ways you can get a dealer account with them.