Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on Brownell's TRIGGER, HAMMER & SEAR KIT?

vrod2011

I'm looking for opinions on Brownells 080-785-000. I understand the basic principle, but would really like a kit that is all inclusive. I would just have a gunsmith do the trigger work, except I need to have 12 done immediately, with more on the way.

So, gunsmith is not an option. I've actually done a trigger job in the past using a sear and hammer jig and stones. It was several years ago, and I don't see the same set up in Brownells.

If the 080-785-000 is not the way to go, please recommend something better.

Thanks!

Add the Power Custom Series 1 jig and you will have a good part of what I use.

Buy some cheap hammers and sears, CMC are a good candidate, and go to work. Use the cheap parts until you figure out what and how, then start swapping in the parts you want to use. The CMC parts will also make great back up parts.

I'm looking for opinions on Brownells 080-785-000. I understand the basic principle, but would really like a kit that is all inclusive. I would just have a gunsmith do the trigger work, except I need to have 12 done immediately, with more on the way.

So, gunsmith is not an option. I've actually done a trigger job in the past using a sear and hammer jig and stones. It was several years ago, and I don't see the same set up in Brownells.

Thanks!

I am not sure I understand, it sounds like you are asking for a drop-in triggers et which requires no gunsmithing?

Drop-in kits only work well if:

1) They are cut properly

2) The frame they are going into has the boss pins in the right place

That's why gunsmiths generally have to cut the sears to match the tolerances of the frame.

Thanks!

Check out a post I made regarding that exact kit in the gunsmithing section. I thought that I may have received a "dud" of a jig, but I believe that they all might be made that way. I cannot recommend the jig from that kit. I have since picked up the Power Custom 1 jig and will be returning the Brownells kit. You can easily put together the same kit for roughly the same money using the Power jig instead. The Power jig is just much more flexible. Others suggested a different Marvel jig, which might be worth a look.

I actually just dropped the C&S trigger/hammer/sear set into two different frames and I've been very happy with the results. My sear/hammer hole spacing was accurate so things dropped in quite easily.