Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aimpoint Dot Problem

riden

I have an Aimpoint CompXD dot sight that the dot goes on and off while adjusting the dot brightness. If you squeeze the adjustment knob and the battery compartment knob together, you can get the dot to come back.

Other than contacting Aimpoint for an answer, does anyone know what the problem may be? The sight is now discontinued, so not much other information on their website. However, the design looks similar to those currently being sold.

Thanks!

I had a pair of older Aimpoints that did the same thing. The problem was oxidation of the threads and the contact in the battery cover. Cleaned it with contact cleaner, smothered the whole works with dielectric grease, and never had another lick of trouble. This may not be your problem, but it pays to use the dielectric grease the contacts and battery.

I noticed that both of the CompXD's that I had trouble with had some wobble in the switch.

I had a Aimpoint Comp that used three of the skinny batteries in ( I forget which one) until it went out at a match.

One of the competitors said to try one of the small ones and a 1/3 N. The Dot was fine after that.

Aimpoint Comps seem to have fragile switches. I've had a couple go bad and have to get sent back. Somebody once suggested removing the knob and dropping a touch of locktite (a very small drop) on the nut that holds the switch mech in place. That seems to have fixed my other Aimpoints.