Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open G24 .357sig

mscott

Dude, I want some holes cut in my G24 slide like that. How about some more pics of the sides of the slide and more details? Like how big the first hole is and the the smallest and did he open up the top cut?

Between you and Nick with them open blasters I'm gona have to double plug :devil: .

Nice looking gun can't wait to see it.

I suppose I could stop throwing that 357sig stuff in the recycle can when I find it!

Raynors Feb. 17 see ya there!

41mag

The slide is a Hawley Custom and is a good bit lighter than a stock G24 slide. I didn't have the work done, I just traded for the slide and sight and put everything together with a KKM barrel. It's plenty loud, but seems to run great with a 12# spring and major loads. I'm doing the .40-.357sig brass, so it took a bit to get everything set up, but I think I've got my loads figured out and time to maybe get some shooting in (boy I'm sure going to need it). Yes, 41mag, hopefully Rayner's will be the first match unless something pops up at the Rabbit. Maybe you should break out the .500 to get even with us.

The slide is a Hawley Custom and is a good bit lighter than a stock G24 slide. I didn't have the work done, I just traded for the slide and sight and put everything together with a KKM barrel. It's plenty loud, but seems to run great with a 12# spring and major loads. I'm doing the .40-.357sig brass, so it took a bit to get everything set up, but I think I've got my loads figured out and time to maybe get some shooting in (boy I'm sure going to need it). Yes, 41mag, hopefully Rayner's will be the first match unless something pops up at the Rabbit. Maybe you should break out the .500 to get even with us.

I love shooting .357 Sig in my Open Glock. I normally use once fired .357 Sig brass, since it costs me the same as .40 S&w once fired brass. But when I run out of it I'll run through some 40's through the dies. What are you using for your major PF loads (powder, primer, bullets, OAL ??) I am using Montana Gold 121 gr. IFP, WSR primers, 8.5 grs. Silhouette powder @ 1.160", with a moderate crimp. I am using the factory recoil spring, but my Open Glock is based in the Model 23.

I love the sight of a .357 Sig empty brass flying through the air catching up to the previous one, and hitting it in mid-air. Kind a' cool!! :cheers:

I'm using 7.8gr of Longshot, Win sp primers, 125gr PMC bullets @ 1.135. That gives me 174pf which should be plenty of cushion at the chrono. I tried some 115gr Rainiers at 1480 fps and was pretty happy with that, so I might try a batch of 115gr JHP of some sort. I asked Montana Gold for a sample pack to check the seating depth because my biggest fear with the sig is bullet set back. I'll likely buy some .357sig brass, but for now the .40s are working. I also tried some HS6 with good results, but the Longshot is a bit more economical. Being brand new to open guns, I'm not really settled on what feels better in the gun. I have more technique issues than gun issues. The steel doesn't seem to understand that there is a red dot on my gun, because it doesn't just lay down at the sound of the shot :lol:

I'm using 7.8gr of Longshot, Win sp primers, 125gr PMC bullets @ 1.135. That gives me 174pf which should be plenty of cushion at the chrono. I tried some 115gr Rainiers at 1480 fps and was pretty happy with that, so I might try a batch of 115gr JHP of some sort. I asked Montana Gold for a sample pack to check the seating depth because my biggest fear with the sig is bullet set back. I'll likely buy some .357sig brass, but for now the .40s are working. I also tried some HS6 with good results, but the Longshot is a bit more economical. Being brand new to open guns, I'm not really settled on what feels better in the gun. I have more technique issues than gun issues. The steel doesn't seem to understand that there is a red dot on my gun, because it doesn't just lay down at the sound of the shot :lol:

Yes, bullet set-back IS a big issue with hand-loading the .357 Sig. Some bullet manufaturers make bullets specifically for it (too expensive in bulk, ugh!!), because of the short ogive allowance. Most loads with round nose will come out too long if you are to seat and crimp to a major diameter spot in the bullet. That's why I use the 121 IFP's from Montana Gold. The 121 IFP and the 115 JHP Montana Gold have a nice long base coming to the ogive, and allow seating and crimping properly, eliminating bullet set-back whether you are using .40 or .357 brass. Have fun with it. :cheers:

Now theres an idea :surprise:

Maybe slip it in for a stage unanounced when you or Nicks ROing :devil: I can hear Nick hollering stop! He'd think my gun blew up :goof::lol::lol::lol:

see ya there,

41mag

• 1 month later...

I hate to piggy-back but... my Jager comp came in last week.

One word. Sweet. And a lot better looking than all the others out there.

I put a Jager comp on a G34 setup for speed steel. Being military I'm trying to keep my costs down, and still trying to keep up with the big dogs. Not an issue with this comp. It doesn't add a lot of weight out front but when loaded the weight is much more balanced. I run WWB ammo, and consulted Jager about certain loads and spring setups. He's definetely done his homework. He had a viable answer within the day. I'll post pics as soon as the wife gets back from

her trip.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was running a 357 SIG Open gun built on a Para, I found bullet setback not to be a problem at all using 9mm bullets. Then again I was running a full case of powder (3N38) under a Montana Gold (.355 115gr). I used N105 like L9x25 suggested for a while, but changed to 3N38 due to availability issues and a general dissatisfaction with the way N105 metered.

One thing I always got questioned on was "Ain't that brass expensive?" And this was coming from guys shooting 38SC! Talk about expensive brass! At least I could take 40SW range brass and run it through my 550 and come up with loaded 357 SIG.

Scott, HSmith - If either of you are interested, I have a bucket full of mixed 357 SIG in the shop. Real stuff not reformed 40s.