Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research "cobra Mags"

Jeffro

Greetings

Have any of you folks tried out (or have any information about) the new TRIPP RESEARCH "Cobra Magazines"? They offer them in single-stack for 1911 designs in various calibers. The cost is HIGH :blink: . Are you sitting down???? They are $45.00 EACH. They are, according to THEIR descripiton supposed to be great. I have had absolutely no complaints with the Wilson magazines, but am always ready to listen about something new. For $45.00 each for single-stack 1911 magazines, I would hope they can sing country and western music and play harmonica (maybe dance a little too!!!!).

Would be interested in any feedback on them. It is claimed that they hold the top round substantially higher than the standard Colt magazines, for better reliability of feeding, but then MOST of the good aftermarket mags do that also, such as the Chip McCormick, Wilsons, and relatively new Wolff Magazines (from the Wolff spring people). Virgil Tripp (the man who does top-notch hard chrome work) is the man behind them, and he is quite the man in terms of knowledge of 1911s, so I am curious.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Jeffro

Hear a lot of folks "chompin' at the bit" to see if the .40 caliber Cobra Mags will handle 10 mm. Maybe they have the spacer that could be easily removed? I am sure anything Virgil Tripp puts out will be excellent, but I wonder of it will be BETTER than the Wilson-Rogers. Virgil Trip is a "quality-type guy" who wouldn't design or deal in anything that isn't the best.

I will be anxious to hear more. :rolleyes:

Jeffro

• 2 weeks later...

Any more news on how they work yet? I'd like ot know how they do in guns that are problem feeders anyway . . .

The idea behind the Cobra Mags looks like a winner. A lot of "trouble" 1911s have been fixed in the past by installing (or building) an elevated magazine catch. The downside of that is that it makes it more difficult to seat magazines, especially when full. The Cobra Mags obviously address the same issue (raising the height of the top of the mag in the gun, but should not aggravate the problem of seating loaded magazines during reloads.

Too bad they cost so much!

An STI mag catch raises the mags about 0.080 inches too, but it only costs about $30. And you only need one.