Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Complete setup for Single Stack new shooter.

Ok, I want to shoot Single Stack.

This question is for A thru GM shooters, as I want to know what (brands) you would buy today, if you were too completely re-gear. Gun, mags, leather etc...

Cost is not an issue.

Thanks

Ok, I want to shoot Single Stack.

This question is for A thru GM shooters, as I want to know what (brands) you would buy today, if you were too completely re-gear. Gun, mags, leather etc...

Cost is not an issue.

Thanks

I'd have a custom gun built from the ground up on a Caspian Race Ready frame. I'd probably go with a Caspian slide with no markings or cocking serrations on it and have the smith do some serrations grooves (both front and back) of my own design. Barrel would either be a Schueman or KKM, Koenig hammer, EGW sear, disconnector, sear spring, Ti strut and mainspring cap, ISMI 17lb mainspring, lightweight (aluminum) mainspring housing, SV interchangeable trigger system, SV wide ambi safeties, one-piece steel guiderod, ISMI recoil spring, Wilson Bo-Mar style rear sight and a Dawson FO front sight. After it was all finished and broken in properly, I'd send it off for Ion Bond finish.

I didn't have time to do this sort of build and needed a single stack for the Western States SS championship, so I bought an STI Trojan, and all the parts above except for the barrel and rear sight, added a Techwell magwell and sent it to a great smith for a trigger job and an overall reliability package/polish and tune. It should be at my office tomorrow...woo hoo!

Went with a mix of Wilson's new 47NX mags (the gun is in .40) and a special Tripp mag meant to work with the Techwell (mag body is .175" longer). Blade-Tech holster, Comp-Tac Belt Feed mag pouches finish the gear.

Edited by G-ManBart

I'd have a custom gun built with all the usuals.. With a 1911, each end user is different in tastes, but mine would be a lot like the Springfield FBI gun, except with Warren sights, and a tuned external extractor.

I always use Talon Tactical Kydex, so probably a straight cant A10 and plenty of mag pouches.

Mags would be Chip McCormick 8rd Power Mags.

Loads would be 200gr LSWCs just above the power floor.

And shoot a lot.

I like Gman's gun choice and if I could I would get one like that, but no instant gratification on that choice, you gotta wait. To be able to shoot next week's match, money being no object, I'd buy the new STI USPSA Model single stack, just because a part of the proceeds go back to USPSA, or a Sentinel or a Lawman (if you prefer fixed sights) and I may add a TechWell with TruGrip. When you wear out the parts that came with the gun then send it to one of our fine smiths for changing and fitting the parts of your choice.

Get a CRSpeed belt, a BladeTech DOH (you can remove the DOH hanger to make it legal for SSD) and 5-6 magpouches of your liking, I'd get BladeTech also, just to keep all that on one vendor's order. Eight (8) Tripp or Wilson mags and get to the shooting.

Call Brian and buy a Dillon 650 (a Super 1050 better yet) with the case feeder and "As It Should Be" Kit in your caliber of choice (should be 45 ;) ), calipers and scale. Buy a KISS bullet feeder :) Lots of bullets, brass, primers and powder. Crank that lever many hundreds of times.

Load and make ready!

:cheers:

Edited to add: If I had your money I'd burn mine!

Edited by Nemo

A Les Baer Concept 6. customized with the following: Square trigger, S&A Arched MSH/magwell combo, Hi-Viz quick change front site and Gunners Grips.

Comp-tac locking paddle holster and single mag pouches

Someone to take all the other holsters and mag pouches I bought before I found these...

<_<

Choose any post above - follow the suggestions - and you will have a great setup. I chose a Benny Hill pistol on a Caspian frame, CR speed belt - Blade Tech holster - Safariland mag holders and Tripp mags.... :cheers:

By all means buy a Dillon loader in some flavor. I have them all and my favorites are the Square Deal B and the 1050....

My setup is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch that I sent to Benny Hill.

Novak adj. rear sight, Dawson .100 F/O front, S & A magwell, S&A grips, Ed Brown thumb safety, 2# trigger job and a complete hardchrome by Tripp.

Comp-tac kydex belt holster, Comp-tac mag pouches, 10 Wilson 47D magazines, CR Speedbelt for USPSA or a Wilson 1 1/2" leather belt for IDPA.

Dillon 550B and lots of 200gr Precision Moly bullets.

If I had it to do over again I think G-man's set up with the Caspian would be the way to go.

Now if I could only shoot it as good as my Glocks :angry2:

Edited by baerburtchell

I have two Kimbers - one a fairly stock model that I've been shooting lately with new EGW trigger parts (sear/hammer/disco/spring), Dawson sights, STI ambi safeties and a Techwell mag well with alumagrips.

The other is a custom job with a Kimber frame, cut to handle a ramped barrel which is mated to a McCormick top end, Dawson sights, etc.

Mags are Wilson 47D and/or 47DEs.

CR speed belt.

Comp-tac holster and mag pouches with Tek-loks on the mag pouches.

Loaded on a 650.

Lead for practice, jacketed for matches, 230g variety in .45acp, as intended by God himself. ;)

OK, I'll bite. What advantage would the 40 have over a 45 except for the slight savings in ammo reloading costs? Conversly, wouldn't the 40 mags be harder to find and more expensive than the 45 mags?

Mags are becoming a non-issue thanks to the advent of Single Stack Div. IMHO. Here is what Chuck at Shooters Connection is carrying:

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...products_id=845

There is the added convenience of loading the same caliber also.

If you're already shooting .40 in Limited or L10 or Production, and you've got one press and don't feel like converting, then .40 would be an option IMO.

If, as the original poster has asked, you're a new shooter, then I'd go .45. Loading .45 is more forgiving than loading .40....

And for my own personal taste, .45 is softer than .40. I shoot a .40 and within 3 weeks I've got tendonitis. I can shoot .45 all year long with no tendonitis problems.

Thanks much for all your replies.

Ok, Seems CR belt system with kydex holsters & pouches either Blade tech or Comp tac are the ticket. I will make up my mind and order tommorrow.

I picked up a SA Trophy match today and had the store put on a Dawson FO .90 front sight, he was out of .100. Just so I have a practice gun, till I make up my mind on a custom gun. I am leaning toward a SA custom, he had a Springfield custom pro in house that was quite sweet. However I will look into a benny hill caspian as mentioned before I decide. Any reason I shouldn't go with the SA pro in .45acp?

Oh, and I picked up 1/2 doz WC ETM mags. Thought I'd give them a try in the Trophy Match.