Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for Trijicon 1.25x5 users

3gunner

How does this scope work at long range, 300-400 yards?

Does the triangle cover the target? How do you judge holdover with the two solid lines?

I have shot with one from 10 yds to 100 yds and it was great. I’m just not sure how it will do from 200-400 yds. A10 inch plate sure is small at 400 yards. :blush:

Thanks

I use different zeros depending on the range of most of the targets on the stage.

My normal zero is 250yd. with 77smk's for most shooting with my short range 50 grainer's the same at 250. At Ft. Benning on the long range stage I used a 300 yd zero that allowed me to hold dead on for several 300yd. targets and hold over by 7" on one and under by 6" on others. Worked great even at 400yd. You just have to teach yourself to hold under as its easier than holding over with the reticle and post.

Yes the triangle sucks for shooting 300 yard groups but it does work if you use a 3" black square outline target like this from US Palma http://uspalma.com/Targets/PDFs/LR%20BR%20Target.pdf

I don't have a lot of time with it when I was home on R&R. But like Butch, quickly learned that hold overs don't work too well. The dials are repeatable so I'll be playing with a 200 yard zero and clicking up to the appropriate distances.

Rich

Usually there are landmarks or metal framing around a target. I used to use these to determine where I held.

But the problem with this is you can't call your hits either visually (since the impact is covered up with the triangle and/or post) or by feel (due to the lack of confidence by the imprecise index). This resulted in slower transitions on the longer targets.

I tried going the adjustment route but I found it slooooowww to do (my lack of skill) if the change was required while shooting a stage. And on my TR21 elevation adjustments also changed the windage and they weren't 1/4" clicks as advertised.

It looking more and more like a Nightforce.

Well its a hell of a jump in money for the change from tr21r to a nightforce, there are other options out there that would be as good for less. But if money is not an issue the look at the swarovski z series scopes that are 1-6 power with illumiated reticles. It is a true 1 power and the ability to jump to 6 power is a great advantage. If you want to stay in the 1-4power and the same price point as the tr21r then you are looking at the meopta and maybe a leupold or IOR. The holdover is more difficult with the tr21r but for the money it is a great value. Maybe a tr11a or tr 31a would also fit. they are fixed but you can shot with both eyes open and close the cover for close targets.

Well its a hell of a jump in money for the change from tr21r to a nightforce, there are other options out there that would be as good for less. But if money is not an issue the look at the swarovski z series scopes that are 1-6 power with illumiated reticles. It is a true 1 power and the ability to jump to 6 power is a great advantage. If you want to stay in the 1-4power and the same price point as the tr21r then you are looking at the meopta and maybe a leupold or IOR. The holdover is more difficult with the tr21r but for the money it is a great value. Maybe a tr11a or tr 31a would also fit. they are fixed but you can shot with both eyes open and close the cover for close targets.

After all is said and done(sight and mount), they are all between $750-$1500. If the tr21 had a cheveron and hold over lines like a ta-31 I would allready have it. Don't flame me, but I'm not a fan of the meopta and the swarovski and the short dot are way out of my price range.

I am also thinking about the ta-11f. Oh what the hell,it's just money. :blink:

Since I found I had a parallax problem with my tr21 I switched to the Meopta. Mine does not have the Kdot. It has the duplex reticle (Meopta calls it Z-Plex). The fine crosshair works great on the long targets, even with no other reference lines, and I don't believe that not having a bright illuminated reticle is a handicap on the close targets.

After all is said and done(sight and mount), they are all between $750-$1500. If the tr21 had a cheveron and hold over lines like a ta-31 I would allready have it. Don't flame me, but I'm not a fan of the meopta and the swarovski and the short dot are way out of my price range.

I am also thinking about the ta-11f. Oh what the hell,it's just money. :blink:

Have you put an eyeball on the IOR 1.1x4 or 1.5x8? They have lines and match up pretty well at different ranges depending on which bullet weight you use.

Mike