Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Info Asap

Hmmmm.... Interesting. I have a chance to peek at this thing over the next two or three days, I think... and its owner wants to let it go (to me inparticular, I was told) for a lot less than its original price--plus a couple of dies. He's never used it, I'm told. Still, it's a Dillon. And upgradeable...? Now that's interesting! I can't do much about all this without selling the Sig 9mm first, but it's worth a look, I'm sure.

Thanks for the initial feedback! :)

I had a 450 for a few years and upgraded it to the auto primer feed feature with an attachment made by a local guy. worked great. I would call to find out the cost of the upgrade B4 you buy it, it just might be better to find a 550. BTW I load on a 550 now and wouldn't get rid of it for a gold bar. Had an old Dillon 1000 way back there too, and 3 SDB's. All good.

You'll like any of them, most likely.

SiG Lady-

Unless he's going to nearly give it to you, I can't imagine that buying a 450 with the intention of upgrading it to a 550 would be cost/hassle-effective, unless you're also getting a LOT of accessories YOU can use with it. In the current Blue Press, a new 550 is $330, and all the components comprising the 450 upgrade to 550 total $256. $74 difference--and then factor in the rebuilding hassle and the fact that in the 550 you get a brand new machine, ready to rock. I assume he wants more than $74 for it.

If you're going to use it as is, this doesn't necessarily apply, of course. I don't have any experience with a 450.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer a Square Deal to a 550 for loading pistol ammo. (I mention that because I noticed you were also considering a Square Deal on another thread.)

BTW, what does "ENTJ" stand for?

Joe

I have a 450 and the thing I would check out before buying it are, which version it is. on the original 450, the priming system and powder drop were manual. as dillion upgraded the machine it added the auto prime and auto powder drop systems. if the machine is a later production one with the up grades, I would take a hard look at it, if it's not, check on the price of those 2 upgrades along with the price of the machine.

the major cost of the 550 upgrade is the frame which allows you to use the removeable tool heads. It is a great convince, but you don't really need it.

if your going to be change calibers, chuck the dillon die locking nut and pick up the one from rcbs. the rcbs locking nuts have a allen head set screw that allow you to lock in the adjustments on your dies. once you got them set, screw them in tight and your ready to re-load.

the original price of the 450 where under 250 bucks. if it a later machine with all the up grades, I'd buy it.

In just a bit more research done today--in terms of benos' full explanation of the various models Dillon offers (his "3,000-word" post was excellent!!) AND some pertinent polling questions at the range today AND my intuition underlying the whole thing AND The Blue Press--I've narrowed it down to the Square Deal or the 550... for now. In some respects, the 450 reloader would likely not be too expensive a purchase, but heck, my learning curve and initial accessory expenses will be significant for starters; so I don't particularly feel like facing a "rebuild" exercise AND further investment in an "upgrade package" on top of all else. I'm trying to keep it simple here. I'll probably 'pass' on the 450 for the sake of sheer convenience. I just need something that will spit out .40S&W occasionally and .45ACP all the time.

:)

Other polling results: Lots of 550s and 650s in the shooting crowd here. FWIW, also some expressed satisfaction about customer service from Dillon as well from a couple of people.

PS--As to the age of the 450: My contact indicated the owner has had it hanging around "for about 15 years." That seemed like a long time--even if it IS new-in-the-box. Couldn't tell you, then, which version it is. But thanx for mentioning that distinction.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer a Square Deal to a 550 for loading pistol ammo.

Well, just add me to the minority. I have two SDBs and I love them.

BTW, what does "ENTJ" stand for?

Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judge, of course!

My first choice for cranking out lots of ammo in a reasonable amount of time is a 650 with casefeeder. I have one now, and appreciate the time savings, but I started with a pair of SDBs in 9mm and .45 ACP. If cash or space is an issue, the SDB can't be beat, IMHO.

I just resurrected a printout of a post from kimel in mid-February this year where he strongly supported the use of SDB... and he has one. So let's call that another vote for the Square Deal. Looking at the big picture here, I'd say the Square Deal may be the answer given budget, actual needs over the next couple of years, and available space. I'm also in the process of e-talking with lynn jones about his... which is currently for sale........... hmmmmm........ :)

SiG Lady,

I know this puts a crimp on the budget plan, but long live the casefeeder on the 650! :D I was in the same position as you about five years ago and finally bought the 650 about two years ago. IMHO, I'm glad I waited.

Anyways, Dillon equipment is the best and holds resale value well. Alot of people have the SDB and like it, but the 650 gives you more time for shooting. :D

Billy

bhg--

I have a friend with a 650 who loves it and I can understand that; but with my time crunch, budget considerations, need for only one or two calibers of handgun ammo, and did I say budget crunch...?... I'm looking for a comfy compromise that will take the pressure off my reloading buddies by summer--hopefully--as well as reduce my ammo expenditures even further over time. By doing this I WILL, in fact, have more time for shooting because I'll have more ammo at less cost and therefore accomplish more with each range session. Right now I'm having to ration my ammo so much I'm barely warmed up at each session before I have to shut down and go home. :( I end up accomplishing very little AND wasting range fees... let alone my time.

But enough whining. I'm obviously on the right track in planning to reload-my-own.

And I certainly have faith in the Dillon product--no question of it! :)

Sig Lady

You made the right call on the 450. I have both the 550 and the SDB and prefer the 550 only because I have large hands and the loading plate on the SDB is pretty small for the 9mm I bought it for. I like the 550 because it is manual index. That is about the only thing which goes wrong with the SDB, but if is isn't indexing correctly, you are SOL. If size is a factor the SDB is much smaller.

You'll like either.

TL

Duane--

I do belong to a club. It's the indoor range I frequently mention. There is one (or more) other range(s) in the area (outdoor) that requires an annual fee with 'free' use thru the year, but it's a very long drive (therefore expensive) and "outdoor" here in the Northwest means cold-and-wet a lot of the time... and with a life-long case of arthritis I can't deal with the cold AT ALL. The indoor range is perfect (and only 10 miles away) so is "cheap" due to its proximity and climate controlled environment. We pay a small annual fee and buy "frequent shooter punchcards" which reduce our day-fees by about 30%. It's actually a good deal. (We're essentially helping the owners pay the HVAC bills but we all love it... and it fosters a terrific social climate as well. :) )

Siglady,

I have tendinitis in my right elbow and so it hurts after shooting. I use my left arm to manipulate the lever on my SDB. Sometimes I alternate my right and left arm. On the 550 or 650, you're pretty much stuck with using the right arm (I asked Dillon). Something to consider if you have arthritis. Also, use One -Shot to lubricate your brass! (thanks, BENOS).

braindoc

We pay a small annual fee and buy "frequent shooter punchcards" which reduce our day-fees by about 30%.

Wow. I've never joined a club, myself, that made you pay to use the range AFTER you became a member. All the ranges/clubs I've ever joined, it's one annual fee, use the range for free the rest of the year.

Well, here's yet another discount built into the range fee scheme: If you renew your annual fee AND happen to purchase (or renew) a frequent-shooter card at the same time (and many of us manage to do that) your annual fee ends up being just $25! Criminy, these days that's hardly ANYTHING! <_<

Back to the thread: I can summarize by saying if I had the money I'd go ahead and get a 550. If the budget crunch remains in place for much longer, it may be a Square Deal. It the budget crunch lasts for more than another month there'll be No Deal at all. Throughout this wonderful reloader's dreamscape I have to bear in mind the extra costs of a bench/table/flat surface for mounting, the costs of what you might call "peripherals" that go with the loader, the cost and acquisition of informational manuals AND raw materials, the time to visit at least two shooters who reload and know what they're doing (the learning curve angle), and the arduous task of fully cleaning out three (count 'em) closets to shuffle stuff enough to make even marginal room for a setup*. :huh: None of this is gonna happen overnight... unless I win the Lottery. :)

*which has already begun but could take a long time, based on my funky little hip sockets :) .