Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brownells AR-15 Mags

kamakiri

I noticed that Brownells is having a sale this month on their AR-15 Mags. Does anyone have experience with these mags? Are they reliable? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for or against the optional "Magpul Ranger" floorplate?

I'm new to buying long gun competition gear and I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Elye A.

Tokarev has it right. The brownells mags are made by C Products http://www.cproductsllc.com/

For the money I thinkg the Magpul PMags are easily as reliable and quite a bit more durable. Brownells carries them as well.

According to Magpul, the little plastic clip that takes the pressure off the feed lips is necessary to prevent the feed lips from spreading at temps above 90 degrees. When is it not above 90 in Arizona?

From my limited experience with carrying various magazines in a law enforcement capacity, the stainless steel mags from C Products are the best thing going. They've worked fine in a couple different rifles with ball, soft points and WOLF and they're way harder to damage than soft aluminum mags.

Be advised the Brownell's mags are not the stainless steel models, they are aluminum. Stainless mags are only available from C Products.

Tok,

My understanding was that the mag cover has nothing to do with temperature, rather it was designed to stop the feed lips from spreading when stored loaded for long periods of time.

From Magpul's site "The Polymer Magazine (PMAG™) is a lightweight 5.56 NATO, M-16 compatible magazine. The PMAG™ features a pop-off storage/dust cover that alleviates pressure from the magazine feed lips, allowing for storage of loaded magazines without risk of feed lip creep that often causes malfunction in standard aluminum magazines. PMAG™ utilizes a resilient stainless steel spring for corrosion resistance. "

Edited by smokshwn

Guys, I wasnt allowed to go to the facility, but Brownells is making their own AR mags now....no middle man. The mags meet and exceed the current military specifications as well. FWIW.....

DougC

I have recently read the same thing. They are making their own now, and they are supposed to be good to go. No personal experience...only what I have read on other forums.