Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry Bullets

Midas

I shot Berry's, way back in the 80's but, not since.

I think the company was just starting up, and we bought a truck load WITHOUT any shipping charge. I think 230 grain .45 was about $25K at that time, and my Para P14-45 loved them, but, by the time I needed more .45 bullets, the price had gone up high enough that I never bought any more.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about them since, that if you don't buy their "double struck", that they aren't sized properly and will tumble.

At current prices, I'll just go with Zeros.

Bottom line, they won't listen, their sizing is not consistent enough to bet major match performace on, and their pricing is shady at best. If they would size them right and price them fairly, I'd use them again. But I buy too many and expect too much out of my equipment to waste time and money on them as they are now.

DP,

I'd like to know whose 40 cal bullets you are using now? I had all the same problems with Berry's in my AET barrel and now that I've recently switched to Glocks, I'm afraid to make a large investment in their bullets to re-test their 40s. Because of their sizing issues it doesn't really matter to buy a few and try them because you don't know what you'll get when you order again.

However, I have very good luck with Berry's for the following caliber/weights:

38 special (158gr RN)

9mm (124 gr RN)

45 acp (200gr RS)

I always get the double struck if available.

-Cuz.

The last time I went to order 230 gr .45s, went through the checkout, and with the "surcharge" I didn't order. I went to Powder Valley and got real jackedted 230s (Zero Bullets) WAY cheaper. Barrys does (or at least the last time I ordered) free shipping, but Powder Valley will stuff about 2000 or more in a flat rate box for about $9. I just went and miked them, .451.

I agree you shouldn't have to pay extra to get the correct size with the "double struck".

I had pretty good luck with the bullets, but after buying literaly hundreds of thousands of bullets from them and getting TERRIBLE customer service, I am now going with Montana Golds. They are a little more money, but I am just sick and tired of the crappy service and prices that go up and down by the minute!

TG

I bought and loaded quite a few of the Berry's 180 FMJ in .40 awhile back and my groups went downhill quickly. I went back to the M.G. 180 JHP in .40 and have never even thought about switching again. The service from Montana Gold is great.

I just recieved a thousand 155gr FP from Precision, took me six weeks to get them because he's backed up. I also have a thousand Precision 200gr SWC, haven't used either yet. I've used Precision 230grRP and their pretty good. They are a very hard coated dark grey lead process of some sort and the 45acp I loaded with Bulleye perfomed well. I have a few hundred Berry 40S&W 165grFP left and when I use them up I'm not buying anymore. Their lead surcharge is getting outragous. I'm almost ready to buy 9mm I think I'll buy them next week at the Orlando GunShow from Space Coast Bullets. Price is starting to be a big factor. I bought a box of 400 40S&W 165grSWC at the last show and they weren't bad at $23.25 a box.

• 3 weeks later...

i like the 185hbrn's in my .45's. bullseye works real good, crazy accurate. titegroup is good too. they're kinda twitchy about what kind of powder, accuracy goes all to hell....got a bunch this summer at @$72 at my door, now they're alot more, so i'm looking for something cheaper, but haven't been real succesful......

At the current price for Berry's, Montana Golds are cheaper and better quality. I used to buy my Berry's from Cabela's but as of right now they are in some cases DOUBLE if not more than going directly through Berry's even with paying for the lead surcharge and shipping. Here is what I am talking about

Berry's direct from Berry's:

115 grain RN $ 70.94 per 1000 shipped

124 grain RN $ 73.29 per 1000 shipped

230 grain RN $ 123.54 per 1000 shipped

Berry's from Cabela's:

115 grain RN $151.94 plus tax

124 grain RN $115.94 plus tax

230 grain RN $171.94 plus tax

Montana Gold:

115 grain JHP $86.00 per 1000 or $69.25 if bought by the case includes shipping

124 grain JHP $92.00 per 1000 or $73.33 if bought by the case includes shipping

230 grain JHP $134.00 per 900 or $136.84 per 1000 if bought by the case includes shipping

230 grain RN $132.00 per 900 or $131.50 per 1000 if bought by the case includes shipping

THIS is why I am switching from Berry's to Montana Golds. For just a few pennys more per 1000 I am getting a better made, much more accuate bullet from a company that actually listens to the shooters that use their products.

Joe W.