Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Random Thoughts

benos

The word "relax."

BigDave sent me a message describing some "breakthroughs" he experienced, and how they related to our one-on-one session we had approximately 18 months ago, which prompted me to post this.

He said something like - "It's so easy, once you commit to doing it." That's a powerful sentence. It does become "easy" only after you COMMIT, and you can only commit after you're trained yourself to ACCEPT that what YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO is all you should attempt to do. This we've called trust.

And then he said - "The hurdle I really had to overcome more than anything was in my mind, I had the notion that being patient meant being slow."

An excellent realization of how our often incorrect mental concepts limit us.

When you are doing things right, your mind should not be entertaining any concepts of slow or fast, whatsoever.

See what you need to see, do what you need to do; nothing more, nothing less, at each moment.

be

Sound like a revelation this lady had during match earlier in the week...

While still getting used to shooting this new .45, I've made both some mistakes, forgotten some techniques but also seen some good shots along the way for about two weeks. However, disappointed and frustrated with my performance, I suddenly mentally DECIDED at one point during a match stage exactly where I needed to put the shots in order to score, and corrected an off-the-mark error instantly with just a decision. Now, that sounds kinda stupid and simple, but it was something I was forgetting to do all evening!! Somehow I'd reverted to a less disciplined way of shooting and was not pinpointing the spot on the target I "wanted". (Duh!!) :wacko:

Anyway, two guys were standing right behind me with their timers watching all this happen, and said, "Boy, you sure nailed that last string--every one of 'em!!!" (all 9's and 10's) I went home later with what I considered disgusting "C" grade scores overall, but at the last minute had been reminded of something of really key importance. It was the same 'something' I exercised so naturally and easily during the .22 League action last month that worked so damn' well!! How in hell could I have forgotten about this...????!!!!!! Aaargghh! :blink:

Does this sound like the quiet mental "commitment" that BigDave experienced....? Your call. B)

SiG Lady,

I had such a huge experience with the word "decide" once that it became the only thing I cared about. Applying that word (to and during every stage but the last one) at the last USPSA Nationals I shot got me into the top 5.

Now it's firmly encased in my "Essential Order" outline to success (in any realm).

;)

...ACCEPT that what YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO is all you should attempt to do. This we've called trust.

See what you need to see, do what you need to do; nothing more, nothing less, at each moment.

be

Operative word is "You"...not what others think you should do. Don't rent space in your head to other folks. Last local match I let other stuff in and did not trust myself. Showed in the match....

Revalations abound.....(without breaking Duane's thought....)

Last practice I don't "recall" deciding to do anything....but inside somewhere I did....and suddenly I stopped blinking and was totally aware of the dot movement and what it looked like against the target as I fired....wierd.....

Then yesterday I took Open Match Winner/Second Overall at a club match for the second time in my life. I think something meant something but I can't be sure until I do it again. :huh: