Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much polishing

ruready

Is there such a thing is over polished? I've looked and followed every method on the internet on how to polish the internals of a glock and yet to achieve the results I expected. I have a stock G17 and it cleanly breaks approx 6.5-7 lbs. on an RCBS trigger pull gage. I'd like to get lower than that.

Am I expecting too much out of a 5.5# connector?

Maybe?

Time to try some different connectors I like the Scherer and the Lone Wolf 3.5. I've got the Scherer in my carry gun, and when the Lone Wolf came out I gave it a go in my game gun.

Order a Lone Wolf 3.5# connector. Then just shoot it. I sort of got OCD with the latest "do-it-yourself" trigger parts, polishing and mods for my limited G35. Ended up with a Vanek. :bow: Staying put.

Jim M

As the last poster said. the easiest thing to do is get a 3.5 connector. I prefer lone wolf connectors. There is only so much you can do with just polishing. And yes, you can over polish. I got a little too aggresive when I was first learning how to work on Glocks and i overdid it a bit on a few parts and I think I removed some metal. The trigger pull got really heavy and gritty feeling.

+1 for the LW connector. Use a stronger trigger spring to reduce the trigger pull further.

If you really feel sassy (and have extra striker springs) trim a few coils off. This will reduce your trigger weight even more, but you need to test it at the range before using it in a match. You can remove too many coils and have issues with light strikes.

Thanks guys for the replise. I'll get LWD connector. Any other thing I shoud get from them so I can save up on shipping?

You see all of the Glock OEM parts that are under $3? By two of each (springs, spring cups, etc). If you have the extra money, pick up another striker, locking block, extractor, and trigger housing. With these backups, you will NEVER be left high and dry in a time of need.

Overkill you might say? I'm not in the club of driving 15 hours to shoot a $200 match just to have my extractor crap out and send me home ;)

Is there such a thing is over polished? I've looked and followed every method on the internet on how to polish the internals of a glock and yet to achieve the results I expected. I have a stock G17 and it cleanly breaks approx 6.5-7 lbs. on an RCBS trigger pull gage. I'd like to get lower than that.

The pound rating on the connector does not equate to the trigger pull weight. The G35 comes stock with the "3.5# connector" but the stock pull weight was more like 5 - 5.5#. Your G17 sounds about right.

The triggers can be lightened substantially. 2.5 - 3# is pretty easy to get to.

Edited by bountyhunter

I started with a $.25 trigger job. Then I got RS Trigger kit. And used that for about 8 months. I later swapped my 3.5 Glock OEM connecor with a lonewolf and kept that setup for probably another 6 months. After I started having a reset problem with my trigger I swapped out the trigger spring for the OEM and replaced the striker spring with the Wolf reduced power one. Since I can't leave well enough alone and I have read a lot of stuff from JoeD on this forum I got an extra trigger bar and attacked it with a dremmel and a blowtorch. I must have gotten lucky because I have a really sweet trigger now. All of the safeties work. The reset is nice and snappy. There is just about zero overtravel and the pull is quite light though I have no trigger gage to test the pull. So far I have about 300 rounds through the gun with the new trigger setup and I am very satisfied.

Where I am going with that is that yes you can overpolish but Glock parts are fairly cheap. And if you don't try things you may never find out what you are missing. As long as you understand how the internal safeties work and you do not inadvertantly disable one or more, the biggest downside is only a few bucks worth of metal bits - throw them away and start again.

Slav