Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw and Reloading Practice

JimmyZip

Was practicing draw and reloads tonight and could feel things getting smoother and quicker as time went by. I was thinking though how one would time onesself? I do this alone in my garage and use a small dog bed to catch my mags. Great fun, can feel progress, but want to quantify this progress. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jimmy

Was practicing draw and reloads tonight and could feel things getting smoother and quicker as time went by. I was thinking though how one would time onesself? I do this alone in my garage and use a small dog bed to catch my mags. Great fun, can feel progress, but want to quantify this progress. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jimmy

Jimmy

It looks like I am the first to happen upon your post. So here goes.

Get yourself a timer with Par function.

It dosen't have to be expensive I think most timers have it.

This means you can set a second "beep" to occur a set time after the first one.

Set it at what ever time it takes you to draw and align your sights on a target and then after a few draws when you can comfortably draw and align the sights well within that time you can reduce it.

If I may caution you against rushing and concentrating on time.

Its better to concentrate on the grip, presentation etc and then when you are doing everything correctly well within the par time you can reduce it a little.

al

For reloads, do the Burkett reload drills, explained both in Matt's video series and in Steve Anderson's book. This minimizes damage to the magazines (though dropping them on a dog bed is a good idea, too).

Getting a timer with a par time is THE way to go.

I would say if you are pushing yourself, there really is no need to use a timer while dry firing reloads. If you want to chart progress, I would personally set up a number of drills, maybe 200 rounds worth, and go shoot them once a month. Doing that you'll be able to chart progress way more efficiently.

The only reason I used a timer during dry fire was for the start signal.

I would say if you are pushing yourself, there really is no need to use a timer while dry firing reloads. If you want to chart progress, I would personally set up a number of drills, maybe 200 rounds worth, and go shoot them once a month. Doing that you'll be able to chart progress way more efficiently.

The only reason I used a timer during dry fire was for the start signal.

+ 1

I don't think i have ever used a par timer for mag changes in dryfire. Time within a 10th of second is not as important as getting a clean reload..... I am still working on using a new platform (HKUSP to a Tanfoglio stock2), so my timing and movement is still off a little. I use a timer sometimes to start my draw. Other times I watch the 2005 world shoot DVD and react to the beep from the timer used on the DVD; drawing and getting a good DA trigger press with good sight picture before I hear the shot go off on screen.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Here is an online timer and target that I use for draws. http://mattburkett.com/files/flashfiles/dryfiredraw.html

If the link doesn't work, go to http://www.mattburkett.com/index.php&Itemid=35

You'll have to set up a username and password then login. Go to "tips/news", drop down list to "dryfire drills", use the one that says, "Paul outdone himself this time".

Start out setting the timer at maybe 1.20 and use until you can comfortably do it then move timer to 1.0 and start there, then so on and so on. Good luck.

DonT

Oh yeah, turn on speaker to hear timer :rolleyes:

Edited by DonT

Once again, thank you all. This is why I come here. Good advice. :) I will get a par timer for the draws, and just practice the reloads without a timer. I never thought that I would actually like to practice draws and reloads, but it is alot of fun. Strangely I find myself thinking about doing it everytime the kids go to bed and I can get out there and do it. I hope this doesn't put a damper on the married life :unsure::blink: Again, thanks, Jimmy

• 1 month later...

I ordered a timer and it should be here soon. I was curious what my time was to draw and fire so I here is what I did. I gave my stop watch to my son and had him time. He would say GO and I'd draw and fire a unloaded airsoft gun.At the "click" he'd stop the timer. I know it isnt the same as drawing my XD but it gave me a starting point for practice. I stared at 1.56 adn within minutes was at 1.10 . I cant wait for the timer and my holster rig for the xd to start for real.