Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reshoot Lesson

pjb45

The stage was was six big poppers in front of six pepper poppers. (Could have been 8 and 8). Two Boxes. Only Two shots per box. Wind approach 32 mph. Hence the wind was knocking down the poppers during the read/walk thru only about 4 or 6 times.

I shoot this stage in about 17 seconds and moving to my last shot and the wind knocks down the pepper popper-course failure.

So I have the ammo and they reset the stage and I immediately reshoot it --->=crash and burn-25 seconds and 5 procedurals.

I broke the cardinal rule of a reshoot-----

UGH what a match screw up.

When presented with a reshoot.

Drop down the list

Prepare it again as if it was the first time

Review the stage rules

Program the stage

Follow the shooting cycle

Post Stage learning lesson not thought of before: It took about 2 seconds to move from box to box. One miss added two seconds to your time (only two shots per box) so it was better to take .5 seconds per shot and call your shot than a .25-.35 shot and have a miss. This was a great stage for learning the cost of non-comformance--not following the shooting cycle and just going for speed.

Third learning lesson: Do not let a previous stage performance bleed into the next stage!

Steve Anderson's new book reviews many of these match mistakes.

Reshoots are just another mental challenge.

I'd never reshoot a stage immediately while still "pumped up" from shooting it the first time.

I had 7 reshoots at an IDPA match due to crap equipment setup where I did them all in a row. Bad mistake.

When we have our local league up and running during the summer months we shoot four stages on a wednesday night and shoot them each twice. This practice has built in the mental challenge of a reshoot, and our league participants do not struggle with a rehoot as a result. Just one plus of this little league we do.