Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting long distance

aneyokly

I've recently begun practicing on long range steel. The immediate feedback confirms what I did right or wrong and helps my body remember how to be accurate at those ranges.

I've been using a 8 or 10 inch plate at 60-75 yds. After that gets dialed in, 40 yds is CAKE.

Good luck.

SA

BTW, at these ranges it's ALL about trigger control.

here are three simple things you can do; watch your sights, watch your sights, and watch your sights. this is the only way to shot long distance. benos' book would give that kind of a shot a type 4 or 5.

i shoot ppc as well as ipsc and ppc is all about watching your sights. let the rear sight get a little blury and the target is more blury, but the front sight needs to be in perfect focus. if you peak over the top of the sight to look at the target the shot will to hit were you intended.

Limited40 is right. I shot PPC for years, double action only revolver. I even made Master. Along with sight alignment is fire control and follow through. Not only do you need to align your sights, you must break the shot without disturbing the alignment, then call the shot and follow through. If you truely call the shot, follow through will probably be there. Sight alignment means nothing if you jerk the trigger, blink, and flinch. :)

I wouldn't get too worked up over a long yardage standard. This sport isn't about driving tacks. By all means work on your accuracy at all times and never lose sight (no pun intended) of the value of precision. But as a new shooter, your time could be better spent working on precision and speed at a much closer distance.

long range shots is really what separated the men from the boys at IPSC WSXIII. There were field courses there with 35 m+/half classic targets, as well as 20m/half targets/strong hand, 40 m poppers and 50m full (classic) targets. i) To make those shots and not miss and ii) to make them in good time was crucial for the prospective top finishers.

--Detlef

(Edited by Detlef at 11:40 am on Oct. 2, 2002)

Tightgroup:

Yep a guy or gal does need to keep up on the precision stuff. It seems like USPSA is so caught up with the close and fast that precision isn't even in the equation. Now that I think about it, limiting one's shooting to the close and fast is a good way to watch the fundamentals erode. BTW, I can't even see a mini-popper at a hundred yards. Time for new glasses.

Ron,

It does seem that a large proportion of shooting in IPSC is of the run’n/gun’n ilk and that surely can erode precision skills if one doesn’t watch out.  Heck, it’s darn hard for me to find IPSC facilities that can accommodate shooting distances over 25m full stop.

Aney did mention that she (my apologies if I got that wrong) is a new shooter and, depending on how new, IMHO the first place to start work on the fundamentals is at 5/7m.  If you can’t shoot tight groups at short distances then the fundamentals aren’t there to shoot at long distances.  Another perspective - BE stated in the Matt Burkett interview that he likes to start his students out on the bench rest.  If they can’t shoot at the inherent accuracy of the gun then fundamentals need work.

Cheers,

Phred

(Edited by Phred at 7:17 pm on Oct. 2, 2002)

Thanks for all the suggestions. first picked up a pistol 3mos. ago ,have been making progress on tight groupings at 15 yds.            so i felt overly  ambitious to keep up with the rest of the shooters at the meets. pressure's off,i'll advance at my own pace.

(Edited by aneyokly at 10:32 pm on Oct. 2, 2002)

We did a 40 yard prone last month.  The correct prone position is weird, but now that I've tried it I like it, and it will give you the knowledge you need to elevate the sights correctly and practice the sight picture.

On the first time around I used a rifle shooting position, with my body pointed down range.  I shot a group, low left.

The second time I used the correct posture, with my body lying across the range (not downrange) and my right arm approximately perpendicular to my body, with my strong side foot pulled back and wrapped around behind my other leg, so my strong side knee was on the ground forming a sort of tripod support - knee, other leg/hips, arms.

The six shots were still low but in a horizontal line.  The recoil was weird; straight up and down and I had to wait for the vibrations to stop before taking another shot.  Strange to see the front sight vibrating up & down.

Now I know that I'll need to aim shoulder high to hit COM with that load.

Quote: from aneyokly on 8:56 pm on Oct. 2, 2002

Thanks for all the suggestions. first picked up a pistol 3mos. ago ,have been making progress on tight groupings at 15 yds.            so i felt overly  ambitious to keep up with the rest of the shooters at the meets. pressure's off,i'll advance at my own pace.

(Edited by aneyokly at 10:32 pm on Oct. 2, 2002)

Try  to pick a drill (or make one up yourself) that forces you to shoot accurately, but is fun to shoot. Make it a challenge with another shooter, or make some kind of "impossible shot"

We used to shoot .22 rifle silouhettes (ok I can't spell it, but I can shoot 'em real good) with .22 pistols at the two closer distances (I believe 40m and 60m) Them little chickens are pretty challenging at those distances.

You won't hit them every time, but you will learn alot about shooting and have some fun too.

Photocopy a sheet with some dots the size of quarters on them and try to shoot one shot at each coin. See how much you can spend. Start close and move it out, the priciples are the same.

be

your reply is welcomed following on the heels of the match and famed classifier which i tanked.besides that,all my other shots were massively erratic ;all a's on one target missing shots on the next.the text you refered me to contains so many gems of info, i can hardly digest them.i plan to take the next few weeks before the next match, to start honing my skills and only advancing when i have achieved accuracy on the basic level.thank you!