Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You guys know anything about faxing software?

Hi all,

What say you?

I tried doing a google search for "winfax pro" and got taken to Symantec's website.

Considering how invasive their Norton Anti-Virus, Internet Security, and pop up blocker software is, I'm a little anxious about buying another Symantec product.

When I browsed a local office supply chain store, I saw fax machines going for less than $100.

Thanks!

It's been quite a while since I used WinFax, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

You haven't told us why you need a fax machine or what your volume would be, but I have a cheap (way under $100) Brother and it does fine for the occasional stuff from home.

If you need fancier, there's fancier and then there's Fancy.

WinFax Pro is a Symantec product. Like most software, when it works it's great. When it doesn't work it's a major PITA. I've been using it for years and the only real problem I've had is that I never could get the cover page designer to do what I wanted it to but I attribute that to my not taking the time to read the instructions completely. It's nice to be able to make an invoice in quickbooks or type any other document and send it over to winfax to send off. Also depends on how you will be using it. I have the "automatic receive" feature turned off because I have a fax machine and I want my incoming faxes to go there.

All that being said, if someone were to tell me of a better product I would check it out and possibly change on my next computer upgrade.

DonT

All that being said, if someone were to tell me of a better product I would check it out and possibly change on my next computer upgrade.

DonT

Better is of course, relative. I use a document management system that saves/scans/copies all documents and will send them to multiple files/locations (including fax/e-mail) with one click. Unless you have a real need, buy a $30 fax machine for the occasionl job. If you need more, buy one of the good multi function machines, then you'll have a copier and printer too.

Windows comes with a fax software solution. Just select fax as a printer choice, type in phone number and off it goes. You only need the scanner to fax existing documents. Works great. Cost nothing. ps you do need a modem. Not a dsl connection

Fax? Who faxes anymore?

I don't even have a traditional phone line in my house.

Jump into the 21st century, dude. I refuse to do business with people if they don't have email.

But, if you really must, buy a cheap All-in-one from HP. You don't even have to connect it to your computer.

Windows comes with a fax software solution. Just select fax as a printer choice, type in phone number and off it goes. You only need the scanner to fax existing documents. Works great. Cost nothing. ps you do need a modem. Not a dsl connection

Can you fudge the time and dates?

FM

I didn't think of that, but it could also be fudged on the receiving side to get the desired results.

Such as voiding a contract?

I have a portable scanner that I use in my travels and use it almost everyday.

If I lost it or broke it I would replace as soon as humanly possible.

It saves a lot of work for our home office too.

FM