Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para "Power" Extractor

palidin

Has anyone else here had a catastrophic failure of the Para "Power" extractor?

Mine sheared the claw off at 200 rounds.

My main inteterest in this post is wheather or not anyone here knows if anyone is making a tool-steel replacement for this MIM trash part?

Seems like every time someone makes a "New and Improved" 1911 extractor, it fails. Is this true of all of them??

nope

aftec.

Yeah but that is still kind of the same as original, it just has a spring. I was refering to the designs that stray way far from the original design.

The "Powerless" Extractor seems to have copied the concept- but in cheap MIM.

If I understand the design correctly, the "power" extractor is more similar to the Kidd Modular Extractor, which was Rusty Kidd's first extractor design. The AFTEC ACE was his 2nd design ;)

Dump the gun and get one with a decent extractor system. It really is that bad IMO. Even an older Para with a standard extractor will be a big step in the right direction. You could put a new slide on the gun, but a new top end is going to run $1000 or so from someone that can do a great job on it, and the gun won't be worth much more than half of that when done.....

EDIT: I don't know of anyone that makes a tool steel replacement hook for the power extractor. Most that use these guns keep an extra plus a couple new springs in the bag to keep the gun running.

Edited by HSMITH

I have a new SX1640J with about 800 rounds through it. Extraction has been perfect. However, feeding has been a serious problem. With the gunsmithing expertise of Steve Moore I think we have it working right, but it required re-contouring of the feedramp and it needs long ammo (1.19-1.20 OAL). We also changed the recoil spring to 11# from the stock 18#.

I have a new SX1640J with about 800 rounds through it. Extraction has been perfect. However, feeding has been a serious problem. With the gunsmithing expertise of Steve Moore I think we have it working right, but it required re-contouring of the feedramp and it needs long ammo (1.19-1.20 OAL). We also changed the recoil spring to 11# from the stock 18#.
Been there, did that on my LDA1640. That POS would jam every other round when new, and the rounds were hitting the flat part of the ramp hard enough to drive some of them .050" back into the case. Edited by bountyhunter

Shear fracture is usualy caused by too much brittleness (not ductile enough). It could be that the steel they are using is too hard to begin with, or they are hardening it. You might try getting a new one and annealing it a bit (heat the tip up and let it cool slowly).

Edited by bountyhunter

• 1 year later...

My main inteterest in this post is wheather or not anyone here knows if anyone is making a tool-steel replacement for this MIM trash part?

The fix is easy. I have a P 18 and an LDA that i shoot in ipsc. Evolution Gun Works makes a series 70 HD extractor and a sleeve for para. You will have to remove the series 80 firing pin block,tune the extractor and install. I have about 2500 rounds through without one FTE. When installing you will have to loctite the sleeve to the extractor

The fix is easy. I have a P 18 and an LDA that i shoot in ipsc. Evolution Gun Works makes a series 70 HD extractor and a sleeve for para. You will have to remove the series 80 firing pin block,tune the extractor and install. I have about 2500 rounds through without one FTE. When installing you will have to loctite the sleeve to the extractor

Thanks. Actually, George at EGW made a sleeve for mine about a year ago. :roflol:

Been there, did that on my LDA1640. That POS would jam every other round when new, and the rounds were hitting the flat part of the ramp hard enough to drive some of them .050" back into the case.

Funny...that is exactely how I refer to my P1640Ltd, now that I have an STI. Wow.....if only I'd had known. BTW....for a defense gun the LDA has a sweet trigger. But....if it doesn't feed...well what's the point?