Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Thanks Nik! :D

I think I want this. I think this would work really good into my plan.

http://ringtraining.com/store/agilityladder.html

Oh, that's evil..... :devil: :devil:

It could conceivably be a fun cardio workout, or part of one. My 2008 plan is to work my way through the exercises in Core Performance Essentials: The Revolutionary Nutrition and Exercise Plan Adapted for Everyday Use. My limbs and shoulders have benefitted greatly from the gym during the last year, however the core is weaker, and needs to come online for even more of an increase in functional strength. And the ability to do this at home is appealing too, especially late in the semester, when school generally keeps me from hitting the gym as much as I'd like.

I think I see an agility ladder in my near future too....

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Believe it or not you've uncovered one of my secrets Jane. I stumbled upon agility ladders in rehab for my knee.

Its on my purchase list, too... Doing work on them at the gym makes it obvious that they're good - and for more than just pure agility (there's balance, strength, speed... blah blah blah...) ;) That looks like one of the good ones, too...

WOD

Nordic Ski 5K (41:23)

Easy ski (10 min)

Intervals 1:1 (10 min)

Easy ski (10 min)

Intervals 1:1 (10 min)

Cool down ski

Stretch

Dry Fire

I thought I could do the 5K in 40 min. I lost some time on the second set of intervals. <_< I'm glad I did this workout but I'm not really pleased with it. Notice the first thing I said, "I thought I could..." and then came within 1:23 of what I thought. That's not what I'm trying to train. I'm trying to train accomplishing that which I don't think I can do. Next time I do this workout I'll set different goals that will get me that kind of feeling of accomplishment. For example: If I thought I could do it in 40 min....I should have set the goal to do it in 38 or 39 min...and then make the goal ;)

Dry fired today. Felt pretty good considering I haven't been handling the gun. I'm doing my dry fire using 3 speeds...slow motion no timer, medium smooth with timer, and fast with par timer. I'm recording what I'm doing and the par times. Conceptually I'm using Steve Anderson's book. I'm not one to follow other's plans to a "t". I like to take it all in (others knowledge) and then create my own way. ;)

Tomorrow...it's lifting and rowing at the YMCA, dry fire and loading ammo.

Thursday...swimming, dry fire, and LIVE FIRE!!!!

How is the Dojo coming along?

I can't find the right emoticon for what I feel about that. As you know, in October I took on the project of cleaning out my basement in an effort to improve and expand the dry fire range located there. I succeeded in reducing the amount of junk but there is still more stuff that needs to be removed (taken to the dump) and organized. The biggest problem with my dry fire range is LIGHTING!! I contacted an electrician to see what it would cost to add more lighting to the basement. The estimate was reasonable but we didn't have the $$ to do it. We are currently using standard light bulbs with supplemental clip on utility lights. It's a sad depressing environment. It's functional but not pretty. I want pretty.

The good news is our cash flow has improved with the new year so Mr. Ball says we can add the lighting to the basement :D Thanks for asking Thomas. Your question has inspired me to work on the rest of the junk this week. The kids are home and have watched enough TV to turn into zombies. I think a work day (like today!) would be good for them ;)

WOD (Workout of the Day)

Swim trial

Warm up 300 yds

Freestyle 225 yds 5 min

Breast stroke 225 yds 5 min

Backstroke 200 yds 5 min

Cool down 50 yds

Total yds 1000 yds

I did the time trial today so I could put the numbers in swimplan.com and get customized workouts. I learned that I've trained myself to be a very consistent swimmer with all strokes. I think I could have done 225 yds with the backstroke if I would have had more efficient turns. I lost a bunch of time on my turns!! Interesting. Now that my time trial is complete, I've printed out my first swim workout. I think this is going to be good for me. :)

I also had another productive day in the basement. We took a load of stuff to the dump. :D I'm encouraged by the progress. It's going to be awesome....at least I think so. ;)

Dry fire was abbreviated related to time constraints. Dry fire continues to go well. I'm seeing the dot really really really well. I'm anxious to live fire this weekend.

WOD

Nordic Ski Interval 2.5 miles/30:50

100 push ups

100 sit ups

100 ball squats with overhead press

Total time on circuit 13:54

I didn't get started as early as I should have this morning. It was that cup of coffee in the living room staring off into space that put me behind...so I was rushed on the workout. What I like about the cross fit type of training is....it kicks your hiney fast and then you can move on with life. I did this circuit using 4 sets of 25. The ball squats were probably the hardest.

I got my agility ladder in the mail today. :D

I loaded ammo last night. I put my Ipod on and got into the rhythm of things. It was sort of therapeutic :lol:

I'm on schedule with my training plan. Tomorrow I live fire and record times. I'm anxious to see where I'm at.

Headed to the basement to dry fire so I can complete my goals for today. ;)

WOD

Nordic Ski Interval 2.5 miles/30:50

100 push ups

100 sit ups

100 ball squats with overhead press

Total time on circuit 13:54

I didn't get started as early as I should have this morning. It was that cup of coffee in the living room staring off into space that put me behind...so I was rushed on the workout. What I like about the cross fit type of training is....it kicks your hiney fast and then you can move on with life. I did this circuit using 4 sets of 25. The ball squats were probably the hardest.

I got my agility ladder in the mail today. :D

I loaded ammo last night. I put my Ipod on and got into the rhythm of things. It was sort of therapeutic :lol:

I'm on schedule with my training plan. Tomorrow I live fire and record times. I'm anxious to see where I'm at.

Headed to the basement to dry fire so I can complete my goals for today. ;)

WTG Jane- you are a machine! ;)

That's a lot of hard and good work... Ball squats w/ overhead press?? Are you pressing the ball, or squatting to the ball? Just curious :)

Don't forget about balance in all that hard work :D

That's a lot of hard and good work... Ball squats w/ overhead press?? Are you pressing the ball, or squatting to the ball? Just curious :)

Don't forget about balance in all that hard work :D

I squatted to a small balance ball doing an overhead military press with hand weights. It's not exactly like crossfit would have you do it, but conceptually it's on the right track. ;)

I think I'm doing OK on balance. I had my coffee/quiet time this morning, took care of the husband with vertigo, did the dishes, made the bed, worked out, took the son to guitar lessons and then the mall, fixed dinner for the family, dry fired, did the dishes, and watched a movie with the kids. I'm nowhere near the insane line yet. Insane....is roaming through the house looking for items to sell on ebay, auction, or garage sale so you can have match fees and travel expenses...that's where I was in October. :o I'm much more balanced and stable now :lol:

I squatted to a small balance ball doing an overhead military press with hand weights.

If you held the weights over your head the whole time, its an overhead squat. If you held them at shoulder height while you squatted, and then pressed them as you stood up from the squat, its a thruster. At least, in the CF language....

It's not exactly like crossfit would have you do it, but conceptually it's on the right track. ;)

Actually, either way, its a common CF exercise :)

Insane....is roaming through the house looking for items to sell on ebay, auction, or garage sale so you can have match fees and travel expenses...that's where I was in October. :o I'm much more balanced and stable now :lol:

Yeah, ok :lol: Sounds like a busy day, though... All I did was shoot a match and baby my poor sick wife... and I'm worn the heck out :lol:

I woke up this morning with the perfect amount of sore all over my body. I'll be sore today but I know I'll be OK tomorrow :)

I came home from church and crawled in bed with the vertigo afflicted hubby. My body melted into the mattress and I felt myself slowing going to sleep with the sound of football off in the distance. Only one problem. Today was my scheduled live fire day. It's 3 pm and all I really want to do is lay in my bed. Trouble is...it's cloudy, with a temp of 57 degrees. In January...that is a gift that can not be wasted. I sucked it up, got out of bed and went to the range. I win. :)

I did some drills for recorded time. Here's what I did today:

10 y draw @ sides

1 reload 1 @ 10y

Draw 2 reload 2 @ 10y

Surrender draw @ 10

index draw @ 7

index draw @ 5

10 y splits

Bill Drills

Tomorrow I will continue with:

El Prez

15y draw @ sides

20y draw @ sides

4 poppers @ 15y

SH @ 10y

WH @ 10y

Surrender @ 15y

20y splits

15y splits

Can You Count

I also want to do some standard drills that XRE gave me: Ronin's Drill, Bryan's drill, and Classic target drill. I want to get to these soon.

Here's what I learned today:

I reloaded faster as my magazine became more empty. OK this is sort of a no brainer, but having the proof on paper has really solidified the concept of loading down my magazines on classifiers! I admitt I have been a little sloppy about that.

Writing down times that you feel are not your best is painful but necessary. It's painful because I want to believe I'm better than that. It's necessary because I can't get better until I know where I'm at. ;) The reality of live fire can be un-nerving :unsure: when you've been feeling like a dry fire goddess. For example: I can get 1.1 sec dry fire draws at 10 yds easy....reality live fire is about 1.21-1.22...that's with A hits. I could get 1.1's with charlie hits. OK now that I've just typed that....I guess that's not too bad. However, on the range I was feeling a little inadequate. When doing a time trial like this...I found it hard to keep my mind neutral. I wanted to judge and be harsh with myself instead of just writing down the times. Bill Seevers was in my head today to help me cope :bow: ...."You can be only as good as you are" The good news is, recording the times now allows me to see progress. So I'm very pleased with myself for doing it.

Bill drills didn't go so well. This is to be expected. Because I haven't been shooting my timing was off and the dot was jumping around pretty good with multiple shots. I've seen this before. NO BIG DEAL. More rounds down range and this gets worked out. However, recording Bill drill times wasn't very successful today. The shots started off in the middle and then went high. I assume because I wasn't letting the gun come down. I did a 2.03 with 5 alpha and 1 charlie, and a 2.24 with 6 alpha. One of my enabling goals will be to get a 2.0 sec or less bill drill. I've got all the pieces of the puzzle to do that...I just don't have it put together yet. ;)

It's going to be warm again tomorrow so I'm planning on doing more time trials. The electrician's also come tomorrow to put the lights in the basement :goof:

Dave is doing better with his vertigo problem. He's not 100% but he is much better than he was on Friday. :)

More tomorrow...

I reloaded faster as my magazine became more empty. OK this is sort of a no brainer, but having the proof on paper has really solidified the concept of loading down my magazines on classifiers! I admitt I have been a little sloppy about that.

Did you reload faster because the mags were lighter, or did the faster times occur on later runs, when you were more dialed in? If you need to answer that, it might be worth running that drill cold during a few sessions with full mags, and again with downloaded mags.....

When I was shooting a 1911 in L10 and Limited early on, I figured out that reloads were faster and smoother with 8 round mags, rather than the ten rounders I used on most stages...

Did you reload faster because the mags were lighter, or did the faster times occur on later runs, when you were more dialed in? If you need to answer that, it might be worth running that drill cold during a few sessions with full mags, and again with downloaded mags.....

When I was shooting a 1911 in L10 and Limited early on, I figured out that reloads were faster and smoother with 8 round mags, rather than the ten rounders I used on most stages...

That's a difficult question to answer...here's why... I loaded up my mags with 20 rounds in them and did 10 reloads 1 reload 1. Looking at my column the times get faster with each reload. Is that because the mags are more empty? Or because I'm more warmed up. I stopped after each reload and recorded times so I can't say I was in any "groove". I did a similar drill...draw 2 reload 2...and the same trend is apparent. Judging from the feel of things....I can say that a lighter mag is a faster mag to reload for me ;)

I'm headed to my bed to watch some TV....I'm tired :yawn:

I woke up this morning with the perfect amount of sore all over my body. I'll be sore today but I know I'll be OK tomorrow :)

I came home from church and crawled in bed with the vertigo afflicted hubby. My body melted into the mattress and I felt myself slowing going to sleep with the sound of football off in the distance. Only one problem. Today was my scheduled live fire day. It's 3 pm and all I really want to do is lay in my bed. Trouble is...it's cloudy, with a temp of 57 degrees. In January...that is a gift that can not be wasted. I sucked it up, got out of bed and went to the range. I win. :)

I did some drills for recorded time. Here's what I did today:

10 y draw @ sides

1 reload 1 @ 10y

Draw 2 reload 2 @ 10y

Surrender draw @ 10

index draw @ 7

index draw @ 5

10 y splits

Bill Drills

Tomorrow I will continue with:

El Prez

15y draw @ sides

20y draw @ sides

4 poppers @ 15y

SH @ 10y

WH @ 10y

Surrender @ 15y

20y splits

15y splits

Can You Count

I also want to do some standard drills that XRE gave me: Ronin's Drill, Bryan's drill, and Classic target drill. I want to get to these soon.

Here's what I learned today:

Writing down times that you feel are not your best is painful but necessary. It's painful because I want to believe I'm better than that. It's necessary because I can't get better until I know where I'm at. ;) The reality of live fire can be un-nerving :unsure: when you've been feeling like a dry fire goddess. For example: I can get 1.1 sec dry fire draws at 10 yds easy....reality live fire is about 1.21-1.22...that's with A hits. I could get 1.1's with charlie hits. OK now that I've just typed that....I guess that's not too bad. However, on the range I was feeling a little inadequate. When doing a time trial like this...I found it hard to keep my mind neutral. I wanted to judge and be harsh with myself instead of just writing down the times. Bill Seevers was in my head today to help me cope :bow: ...."You can be only as good as you are" The good news is, recording the times now allows me to see progress. So I'm very pleased with myself for doing it.

Bill drills didn't go so well. This is to be expected. Because I haven't been shooting my timing was off and the dot was jumping around pretty good with multiple shots. I've seen this before. NO BIG DEAL. More rounds down range and this gets worked out. However, recording Bill drill times wasn't very successful today. The shots started off in the middle and then went high. I assume because I wasn't letting the gun come down. I did a 2.03 with 5 alpha and 1 charlie, and a 2.24 with 6 alpha. One of my enabling goals will be to get a 2.0 sec or less bill drill. I've got all the pieces of the puzzle to do that...I just don't have it put together yet. ;)

It's going to be warm again tomorrow so I'm planning on doing more time trials. The electrician's also come tomorrow to put the lights in the basement :goof:

Dave is doing better with his vertigo problem. He's not 100% but he is much better than he was on Friday. :)

More tomorrow...

This is just my little red flag alert. It would be a red flag to myself if I ever said (wrote) it.

The trick (IMO) with the discovery on reloads isn't to not fill the mags. It's to learn to load full ones.

I too had this same affliction some time ago. The fix (for me) wasn't to confuse the goal. In a match we nearly always have to reload full mags. Rarely do we get the option (or are willing to take the risk) of not fully loading a mag. From a consistency perspective I would think the better goal is to learn to smoke fully loaded mags and then understand the difference between a fully loaded mag and a partially loaded mag.

My unsolicited advice is to keep the bigger picture in mind here. A match is a full race. Not a stage win. If reloading full mags is more challenging work on that. Make a fully loaded mag the most ideal reloading situation (since that's what you always have to do) and then let the exceptions (which are far more rare) be what they are . . . exceptions.

My trick (again, back in the day)? Dry fire with fully loaded mags. It's a practice that I found really worked. And is one I still employ today. It worked to a point that in a shoot off, or in a classifier etc. etc. I always used fully loaded mags.

One last little point, from a pure physics perspective the difference is minimal. So try not to ever let that be a mental factor in a match. There are those little tricks to any component of shooting that make it work. Keep your eye here, keep the gun here, etc. etc. Those are the things to master so that when those exceptions do pop up, you just execute as you always have and in general perform at near the top of your ability.

J

In general, I agree to the concept of simplicity - train to one thing, etc. However, I load my mags to 15 for stand and shoots, and even during field courses, mags that I load to aren't stuffed to the gills. The reasons are fairly simple - at least with my mags, full mags take a firm bang to seat them. Downloading by one gives a lot of extra margin for error on seating the mag. For whatever reason, I find that I pilot the mags more accurately and quickly with a mid-weight load in them. Too heavy or too light, and the loads just get slower. That doesn't stop me from practicing and dry firing with full mags (including full big-sticks) - and my times aren't that dissimilar with full mags - as Jack says, it doesn't make a huge difference.

In the end, its probably more of a comfort level thing - I've done it that way for an awful long time, so... :)

I've found a song that really nails where I'm at in my life right now. I think I've swallowed the "red pill"(matrix) :lol: Anyway, it's called Goodbye Ordinary by a group called Mercy Me. I'm going to print the lyrics...but it doesn't do it justice. If you have a chance I would recommend downloading it and taking a listen. ;)

Goodbye Ordinary

by Mercy Me

I wonder when we first bought into this

So satisfied with status quo

have we convinced ourselves that this is all there is

well all that is within me says we were meant to break free

Chorus

Live like there's no tomorrow

Love extravagantly

lead a life to be followed

goodbye ordinary, goodbye ordinary

We were never meant to compromise

Settle for mediocrity

This life was never made to be a waste of time

well all that is within me says no more just existing

(Chorus)

No more complacency

no more just settling this time

goodbye to atrophy

for we were meant to be alive

Chorus

He's coming Monday to install the lights

Jane, did the lights get installed yesterday?

"Let there be light" and there was light.

Yahooooo!!!! :goof:

The electrician is finishing up as we speak!!! I've got a little more clean up to do before I post pictures. Should have pictures up this weekend. :D

The lighter/brighter environment is AWESOME!!!

I didn't make it to the range yesterday to finish my time trial related to the electrician's being here. There has been a steady downpour of rain today. I'll have to finish sometime later this week when the weather permits. :(

Did the swim workout today from swimplan.com. I really enjoyed it. I did things in that workout I certainly wouldn't do on my own. It was satisfying. Yesterday I did the nordic track interval workout and lifted weights. I challenged myself yesterday by increasing the incline on my Nordic track. I know that sounds pretty mild...but what you need to understand is....I've had that Nordic track set on an incline of #2 for OVER 10 years!!!! So the fact that I ventured out and actually increased it to #3 is a pretty big deal. Isn't it funny how we get stuck in our rutts!

Last night in dry fire I worked on only 1 thing. I worked on catching the gun and pushing it out to the target. I think I learned something but I need to work on it some more to see if what I learned was true. I think what I learned was....the more aggressive my left hand catches the gun...the easier the gun straightens out....the left hand seems to straighten the gun out. I've always concentrated on just getting a good grip. Now I THINK I'VE learned that a good grip with an aggressive left hand results in a straighter gun. Need to experiment some more. Also need to shoot video.

The lights are on! I'm ready to play ball ;)