Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this relate to shooting?

old shooter

Wow,

I can't believe how long it has been since I have visited the board. I have been a little sidetracked this year with music, and my shooting has suffered.

I ran across this paper about musicians, but somehow think that it directly relates to shooting. It is a little tedious to read, but well worth the time to get through it and understand what is happening. What do you think?

MIke

Interesting article.

I was reading a book that might relate, it was This Is Your Brain on Music by Daniel J Levitin.

Music engages the brain/mind(whatever) more than just about anything else. I am not sure if shooting could bring the same involvement unless we could figure out how to bring in a regular positive emotional context. A really massive emotional context.

didn't read the article, but I could see how the two could be related. Lets say you are playing guitar, and you are handed a piece of sheet music to play, that you have never seen before, You go through the piece and finger the guitar and kinda get to know what you are playing, kinda like air gunning through a walk through on a stage. once you have figured everthing out on the sheet music, example when to pause, when to play faster, and such then you execute it and play the song. just like in shooting. Also there is the hand and eye in coordination going on there to. Does playing music make you a better shooter, I don't think so, I think practing shooting will make you a better shooter. I think we could find alot of things out there that we could relate to shooting

Well, without getting too longwinded, the part that I found interesting it the part about learning a skilled action. Basically, it found it much better to practice a movement/skill slowly and correctly over and over. The speed will come after a sleep cycle. With each correct repetitoin, the synapses that send the correct message gets stronger, and in the cerebellum, uses a cell called purkinje to eliminate errors in movement. So it is very important to elliminate errors from the start otherwise you will cause your brain to see them as correct movements. They say that playing scales is a motor skill that is basically automatic and writing is another overlearned skill that doesn't tax the brain. I would bet a movement like drawing and firing a gun would fall closely along the same lines.

I also found interesting, the role of mental repetition and how that improved motor skill.

Man, I need to read this at least one more time.

Mike

Very good article, I don't see how it could hurt to try it. I'm sure we all spend alot of time thinking about shooting, but probably not actually mentally practicing. I'm definately going to try it out, if it helps it could save on ammo costs at the very least, and I have been behind on sleep for about 25 years! One area I need improvement on is transitions, I wonder if visualizing lightning fast transitions would translate to live fire. One way to find out. Thanks for the link.

Robin

<_< Its not new information =But it is good Information. In the 1970s the same kind of studies had a small niche in many "New Wave" Teachings . / {learning tools}

I used it, .. And it made school too easy for me... I stopped paying any attention at all. Kinda backfired, but I graduated one year early.

Well, without getting too longwinded, the part that I found interesting it the part about learning a skilled action. Basically, it found it much better to practice a movement/skill slowly and correctly over and over. The speed will come after a sleep cycle. With each correct repetitoin, the synapses that send the correct message gets stronger, and in the cerebellum, uses a cell called purkinje to eliminate errors in movement. So it is very important to elliminate errors from the start otherwise you will cause your brain to see them as correct movements. They say that playing scales is a motor skill that is basically automatic and writing is another overlearned skill that doesn't tax the brain. I would bet a movement like drawing and firing a gun would fall closely along the same lines.

I also found interesting, the role of mental repetition and how that improved motor skill.

Man, I need to read this at least one more time.

Mike

I think I am going to use this on some practice I need to do with playing hammer-on's and pull-offs in rests on a 5-string. Stay with the movement/skill slowly without trying to up the tempo.

And it should be real workable for the practical world as well.

I think I am going to use this on some practice I need to do with playing hammer-on's and pull-offs in rests on a 5-string. Stay with the movement/skill slowly without trying to up the tempo.

And it should be real workable for the practical world as well.

Viggen,

As a 40+ year veteran on the 5 string, I can (somewhat) see how this is working. I really started playing flatpick guitar about a year ago. I had played for a number of years but finally got very serious. I had a hard time memorizing tunes earlier this year, and it took probably 2000 repetitions to "internalize" it. I think the neurons and transmitters have grown to a number that now makes it possible to learn a song (medium difficulty) with 300-500 repetitions.

Alamo shooter,

I know the information is not new, but the ability to prove it certainly is. When a neuron is transmitting an error in movement execution, the brain denies the cells in that transmitter calcium thereby reducing its ability to survive. This is a new development. And an fMRI machine that could see the electrical activity that is in response to motor function is another maching that is new. The article was not about learning per se, it is about learning motor functions, something not normally associated with ones ability in high school.

Mike

Viggen,

As a 40+ year veteran on the 5 string, I can (somewhat) see how this is working. I really started playing flatpick guitar about a year ago. I had played for a number of years but finally got very serious. I had a hard time memorizing tunes earlier this year, and it took probably 2000 repetitions to "internalize" it. I think the neurons and transmitters have grown to a number that now makes it possible to learn a song (medium difficulty) with 300-500 repetitions.

Alamo shooter,

I am at the stage where the neurons are are just finding out that there are such things as transmitters...

Something interesting though, with enough repetitions, the ability to watch the playing(or shooting) as it happens, and making "decisions" that do not interrupt the flow but do influence the direction of action.

Viggen,

Alamo shooter,

I am at the stage where the neurons are are just finding out that there are such things as transmitters... 5-string frailing is my cup of mead.

Something interesting though, with enough repetitions, the ability to watch the playing(or shooting) as it happens, and making "decisions" that do not interrupt the flow but do influence the direction of action.