Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom limited going to 357 SIG

snaps

Hi, ive just recently picked up a nice tanfoglio custom limited. Iam wanting to convert it to make major power factor in ipsc, (there are strange laws in australia, regarding the use of 40cals)

But i was wondering what was involved in the transformation, apart from new 40cal mags, and a reemed barrel.

So from your post I'm not sure if you have a 9mm or a 357 Sig? You are making the 9mm into a 357 Sig, yes? It may just work fine with the 9mm breechface. Tanfoglio is pretty forgiving. Instead of switching out the barrel, you could have a gunsmith open the breechface a little bit. You'll want to put in a 40S&W extractor, though the 9mm extractor will probably work good.

When you're at it, pick up my 19 round IPSC kits for your mags:

http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/eaa.elite.magpads.html

I ship international, just type in your complete address. I'll have my store re-configured for international shipment soon.

Another good upgrade is the X-Long firing pin and a Wolff 13lb hammer spring. It'll lighten up your trigger and guarantee 100% ignition.

Only .357 SIG can make Major in Limited, so .38 Super is not an option.

Correct me if I am wrong but .357 Sig is no good for Major in IPSC Standard Division or USPSA Limited Division as the rules say bullet diameter minimum for Major is 10mm/.40 cal.

In Australia the max we can shoot in IPSC is 38 super, dew to laws prohibiting .38 + calibres without completing certain matches and getting a special grade licence.

thanks for all your help, as im trying to make major in ipsc. :) more points :)

we dont have any restrcitions on projectile diametre,

sorry im kinda new to these forum and im still working things out hehe.

sinsky: i cant get any of those mags, the max limit is 10 rounds per mag in aust :P but ill be getting one of those X-Long firing pins

cheers guys :)

In Australia the max we can shoot in IPSC is 38 super, dew to laws prohibiting .38 + calibres without completing certain matches and getting a special grade licence.

thanks for all your help, as im trying to make major in ipsc. :) more points :)

we dont have any restrcitions on projectile diametre,

sorry im kinda new to these forum and im still working things out hehe.

sinsky: i cant get any of those mags, the max limit is 10 rounds per mag in aust :P but ill be getting one of those X-Long firing pins

cheers guys :)

Again correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of the current Australian laws was that handguns could only be to a maximum bullet diameter of .38 cal with the only exception being for cowboy action shooting & silouette shooting when you need to get separate permission. So when you say there is no restriction on projectile diameter are you sure?

As I say my understanding is 38 cal or smaller only which is why alot of Aussie IPSC/Action shooters seem to use the 38 Super in their Standard pistols as well as Open.

I haven't heard anything about IPSC allowing 357 Sig as major in Standard but would doubt that will happen as it will surely bring cries for Major 38 Super, 9mm etc to be allowed as well.

Hmm, why would they let .357 Sig be classed as major and not 9x23 or .38 TJ? It seems like that will open up a whole new can of worms. The .357 Sig doesn't seem to be that great as compared to some rounds that are available. Any ideas what's up with that?

Buddy

One argument for allowing 357 Sig in IPSC standard is that magazine capacity will be the same as 40 S&W. 38 Super would let you get 1, maybe 2 more rounds in the mags.

What will minimum bullet weight be? If 357 Sig is only allowed in countries where 40 S&W is not allowed then I think that's a great thing. Allowing 38 Super in major will open a can of worms and next thing we'll see other countries wanting that too. From a competitive stand point the question is why you would want to. Now, I've only shot my open loads in my 38 super Limited gun so they weren't made for limited so they were horribly stout loads. If you did make a 38 super limited load you would want a fast powder, not a slow powder we use for open class. A disadvantage for 357 Sig vs 40 S&W is the smaller diameter bullet when scoring. You can overlay and get more 40S&W touching the scoring line than the smaller .38 round.

Per USPSA rules I can get 24 + 1 rounds in my 141mm 38 super mags vs 21 +1 rounds in my 40 SW mags. For some 3-gun matches where they don't score major/minor I will shoot my 38 super minor limited pistol over my 40, only due to capacity.

I talked to the IPSC powers-that-be at the European Championships, where, not coincidentally, the General Assembly voted to allow .357 Sig to score Major in Standard (only Standard) temporarily. If it works out, they'll probably make the change permanent at the next World Shoot.

Henning is correct the same-magazine-capacity issue played a large part in the decision and there is very little interest in expanding the ruling to cover other 9mm-size cartridges because of the magazine capacity ruckus that would cause. I was not successful in my 9x25 Dillon lobbying ;)

This opens a few small opportunities for gaming, but not a lot. It does open a "why is the exact same 9mm bullet ok from this piece of brass, and not that one?" question, which has to be dealt with by a "Because we said so", which IMO, is sub-optimal for any rule, but on the whole, I think the decision is ok.

Apparently new IPSC rules will be imposed in Jan/Feb for Australia, 357 sig will be the new major, it will really be a great thing because the Australians will be able to compete internationally fairly.

I cant wait! :)

vous: Sorry Vous, i wasnt thinking straight, (A few too many beers) there is a max projectile diameter of 38. sup for IPSC, every with the addition of having a large cal licence ya can only shoot max .38 super in IPSC.

Apparently new IPSC rules will be imposed in Jan/Feb for Australia, 357 sig will be the new major, it will really be a great thing because the Australians will be able to compete internationally fairly.

I cant wait! :)

vous: Sorry Vous, i wasnt thinking straight, (A few too many beers) there is a max projectile diameter of 38. sup for IPSC, every with the addition of having a large cal licence ya can only shoot max .38 super in IPSC.

No worries Snaps, its hard to know exactly what you can and cannot do when you have dumb laws made by dumb politicians. I'm in NZ and we have been lucky to date to have not been hit by the illogical thinking behind alot of the Aussie laws! At least the introduction of the 357 SIG rule will go some way in helping you Aussies in international comps. That said your comment on too many beers has wetted my taste buds and I am off for a couple myself!! Cheers.