Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Major vs Minor

TreblePlink

Production scores minor caliber only. Traditionally, 9mm was most common for carry autos. Maybe this was the reason? .40 s&w is arguably becoming the new carry standard.

Does anyone know what the original reasoning for restricting production to minor was? Is is still valid?

One of the reasons Production was introduced was to try and attract more people to the sport. It is arguably the cheapest division to get into in terms of equipment, one can buy an out of the box Glock or similar for under $500 and be all setup with extra mags, a belt, holster and mag pouches for say $700-800.

I think therefore the all minor logic is that by keeping the cost of ammo low more people would be interested. 9mm is cheaper than .40, AND it's not really necessary to reload 9mm to compete like it arguably is with .40.

To add to rtr's response, not all factory ammo makes major and reloading is a very capital intensive solution to making major pf ammo, keeping production minor pf only allowed folks to buy reasonably inexpensive ammo from their local retailer. Also in keeping with trying to get people into the sport they would not need to worry about shooting a compact gun ie. commander length 1911, glock 19/23 etc

I've heard everything from cohesiveness with other disciplines, to low cost entry into the division, to being able to fly to a major match and swing by the local Walmart to buy factory ammo as the reason.

Whether the original reason is still valid --- as regards the .40 defacto carry gun standard --- doesn't really interest me. The division works; it's growing, lets not monkey with it.....

I don't see that many .40 carry guns locally --- a lot of .45s, a lot of .38 Spl.s, a fair number of 9mms, and some .40s along with other calibers, such as .32, .25, and .22LR......

One of the [many] things I enjoy about PD is the "run what ya brung" feel to it. Anyone new or experienced can grab their centerfire 9mm or bigger gun and be competative as far as equipment. That guys have been successfull on so many platforms demonstrates that. If you allow major scoring, then you might as well ditch the division and merge it w/ L10 as you would then need .40 to be competative (just like in L/L10).

Another great thing about the current setup was I could bring my IDPA SSP gear and get started in USPSA (so their diabolical plan worked!).

just my 2 pennies.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

In the interest of quashing this as quickly as possible, here are the two reasons to have made (and keep) Production Minor and ten-shot:

If you allow Major/Minor, no one will shoot Minor. No, you can't shoot minor fast enough to make up in scoring, if you could people would be doing it. If Minor is uncompetitive, then a whole slew of guns become extinct on the USPSA/IPSC ranges.

If you allow more than ten shots, the highest-capacity gun rules. No one will mess with a 15-shot gun of they can get 17, 18 or 19 in another. Again, you just made a whole lot of guns obsolete.

Any other "reason" given is irrelevant.