Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Primers

Bill Nesbitt

After all the primer talk I decided to try some Wolf primers to see how they work compared to Federal.

A revolver is a good way to test the power needed to set off the primers.

I have 3 K-Frames I shoot regularly. They all have the trigger pull set at 6 3/4 to 7 1/4 pounds. The 3 inch Model 10 smithed by Al Greco is smooth, runs 6 3/4 # and will set off CCI rifle primers. :cheers:

The other revolvers are a 4 inch Model 10 and a 4 inch Model 15. 36 rounds with Wolf primers went through these 2 guns at 100%.

I reset the 4 inch model 10 to 6# and it will set off Federals 100%. Wolf primers went 2 misfires out of 6 shots. Both misfires went off the second time around.

I set the trigger pull to 6 1/2 pounds and 12 Wolf primed rounds went off OK.

All rounds were loaded on a 1050.

I'll compare some Winchester primers when I get a chance but it looks like Wolf will fall somewhere between Federal and Winchester.

I have been running Wolf primers in 9mm for my G-34 and M&P. Both guns have been 100% with Winchester primers. With the Wolf's I have been averaging 2 to 4 light strikes every 120 rounds. All but one have gone off with the second strike.

I will see if things change any as I get further into them. I have a couple thousand loaded and have been through about 500.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to adjust the primer seating punch on the 1050 to give the Wolf primers that almost crushed look that we revolver shooters like so well. :) I then loaded more ammo with Wolf primers. I hope to load some ammo with Winchester primers in the next few days to compare them all.

I've been doing more testing. :cheers:

I have found that both Wolf and Winchester primers need the primer seating punch on my 1050 adjusted differently from Federal primers to get the almost crushed look. <_< All tests from now on have the primers seated as deeply as possible. :rolleyes:

I am still using my 4 inch S&W Model 10 in the tests. It is stock as far as I know except for a Vic Pickett spring kit. I bought it used and it had a pretty smooth action when I got it. I have the trigger pull set at 5 1/2 pounds for these tests. All shots were fired double action.

Federal primers. I ran around 300 rounds through the gun including about 100 at a local IDPA match. I had one light hit that went off the second time around. Of course it happened during the match. :angry2: I didn't get a chance to examine the brass.

Wolf primers. 18 rounds with 3 light hits. 2 of them went off the second time around. One never did go off.

Winchester primers. 48 rounds with one light hit that went off on the second strike.

Conclusion: Wolf primers are harder than Winchester primers. :unsure: My lot of Winchester primers came from Powder Valley a few months ago. They do not have the little white mark on the corner of the box. I just got the Wolf primers from Powder Valley a few days ago.

All of these rounds were in misc. brass that had been shot before.

These are all small pistol primers. Large primers might be different.

I had hoped that Wolf could be a subtitute primer but it looks like anybody with a super light action will still need to be looking for Federals or else adjusting their gun. :angry2:

I hope this will help some of you choose a primer during the shortage.

I've been doing more testing. :cheers:

I have found that both Wolf and Winchester primers need the primer seating punch on my 1050 adjusted differently from Federal primers to get the almost crushed look. <_< All tests from now on have the primers seated as deeply as possible. :rolleyes:

I am still using my 4 inch S&W Model 10 in the tests. It is stock as far as I know except for a Vic Pickett spring kit. I bought it used and it had a pretty smooth action when I got it. I have the trigger pull set at 5 1/2 pounds for these tests. All shots were fired double action.

Federal primers. I ran around 300 rounds through the gun including about 100 at a local IDPA match. I had one light hit that went off the second time around. Of course it happened during the match. :angry2: I didn't get a chance to examine the brass.

Wolf primers. 18 rounds with 3 light hits. 2 of them went off the second time around. One never did go off.

Winchester primers. 48 rounds with one light hit that went off on the second strike.

Conclusion: Wolf primers are harder than Winchester primers. :unsure: My lot of Winchester primers came from Powder Valley a few months ago. They do not have the little white mark on the corner of the box. I just got the Wolf primers from Powder Valley a few days ago.

All of these rounds were in misc. brass that had been shot before.

These are all small pistol primers. Large primers might be different.

I had hoped that Wolf could be a subtitute primer but it looks like anybody with a super light action will still need to be looking for Federals or else adjusting their gun. :angry2:

I hope this will help some of you choose a primer during the shortage.

Thanks Bill! I would not come to the same conclusion with such a small sample of rounds tested. Also, the fact that you actually had a light hit with a Federal primer suggests to me that either your gun is set on the very ragged edge of lightness where NO primer is 100% or there are some inconsistencies in your loads.

From my testing of these same primers in a highly tuned SP-01 with an very very light DA, I would (at a minimum) agree with the conclusion you reached in your first post: the PMC/wolf are BETWEEN the Winchester and the Federal primers in sensitivity. I have had exactly zero light strikes with my SP01, none with Federal and one with Winchester primers.

We all know that Federal uses a formula of lead styphnate: "basic" while the other 3 US based primers use the lead styphnate: "Normal" (it was in Front Sight).

Question is: does Wolf use Normal or Basic lead styphnate as its compound?

My best guess from the relatively tough primer cup AND sensitivity is that they are using Basic lead styphnate as the compound. Thoughts?

Rob,

The corner of the box is white and it says: "New surface finish for improved sensitivity". I have some Win Large Pistol primers that say that. My Win Small Pistol primers do not say that.

Carlos,

I agree, my gun was deliberately set on the very ragged edge of lightness to test primers better. I normally run it with a heavier pull which gives the primers a harder strike.

I just went outside and fired 30 more rounds of the Wolf primed ammo. That makes a total of 48 rounds of Wolf primed ammo.

Do you realize just how cold it is out there. :)

5 light hits. 4 went off the second strike and one didn't go off at all. I made sure every one of these last rounds was in good shape and had a deep set primer.

I stand by my conclusion. :rolleyes:

By no means am I the brightest brick in the pile, but I wonder if the shape of the firing pin has anything to do with this. Glock strikers are considerably sharper at the point than many other firing pins. I believe the CZ's firing pin may also be sharper compared to say a 1911 or 2011. Is it possible that the shape could lend a more penetrating strike to the primer and thereby lessening the need for higher spring weight in a revolver? This might be something to tinker with for more consistancy. Just thinkin out loud...

, but I wonder if the shape of the firing pin has anything to do with this. Is it possible that the shape could lend a more penetrating strike to the primer and thereby lessening the need for higher spring weight in a revolver? This might be something to tinker with for more consistancy. Just thinkin out loud...

I agree. The firing pin on my Randy Lee 625 is very pointy. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...