Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polish media in flash hole.

ONG

I am polishing up some 9mm brass that has been deprimed. @20% of the brass have some corn cob stuck in the flash hole. Is this anything to worry about? I have been blowing them open with a air hose but it's a PINA.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

If you have a sizing die on the press when you load, then it should clean the media out of the flash holes. I know I end up with a lot of media in my spent primer container and have never had ammo issues with any decapped brass I've used.

The operative word is SHOULD because I have found brass that has been deprimed & still has corn cob in the primer hole. I admit to being OCD and stand all brass up to make sure it does not have a rock inside or a large spider nest before I deprime with a single stage press. Then I check head stamps to make sure of the brand & clean out left over corn cob. TOO LATE to teach an old dog new tricks.

When I decide to re-polish already deprimed brass I use a much finer grind of corn cob that will just flow through the flash hole. So far I haven't had any media in the flash holes but I haven't done more than 1,000 rounds that way.