Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need new powder for 223 and 308

hiropro

Well I am out of all of my wc 844 and 846 that i bought years ago.

Now with the prices of surplus powder being damn close to commercial

what would you recommend.

I load mainly on a Dillon XL 650 with the dillon measure.

I load mainly for 223 and 308. mainly 55s and 147s. I shoot 3 gun.

kicker is that I live in Nevada and this is the home of extreme temps.

Along with being 4700 feet in elevation.

So what do you guys think?

thanks

You'll no doubt find replies and opinions as numerous as powder choices, but, for what it's worth...

Reading 55's and 147's as "ball"-flavor as opposed to heavy bullet, long-range accuracy stuff...

After trying dozens, I've settled on 748 and 3031 (respectively) for these sorts of loads - both of which meter nicely in a 650. If you're upgrading to SMK's (oh, say, 69's and/or 168's/175's, respectively, for long-range/small-group stuff), the best I've found, personally, is Varget (if you're shooting an M1A or the like - the "standard" of 41.5g of 4895 behind a 168g Sierra MatchKing is pretty sweet), although you'll have to watch for the occasional powder bridging in a progressive.

YMMV...

WC844 was good. After I couldn't find it anymore (and now with the price), I went to AA2230C.. it's gone now.. and now I'm on normal AA230.

Still a good deal (PowderValley), and meters great.

I gave my Varget away.. lol - Hated that stuff. More expensive, didn't meter as well, and had higher SDs. I know I'm in the majority here..

I like H335, it is supposed to be Hodgdon commercial equivalent of MilPSec ball powder. I have used it with 55 - 69gr in bolt bolt and semi auto's. Excellent stuff. I use the maximum listed for both bullets in all firearms and they go the speed they say and where I point them.

I also like Benchmark with the 69gr. Very accurate, again the max load listed works the best in all three 223's I shoot.