Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get a good grip after every draw?

Gabe

Hey guys,

I am new to IPSC. I only shot about 3 matches. I pracitce live fire once a week and dry fire about 2-3 times a week. I shoot a CZ SP01 in production class with a Blade Tec DOH holster. My problem is that a lot of times I don't get a great grip on the gun after the buzzer and end up shooting C's instead of A's.

What is the best practice method that I could use to develop this skill where after the draw the grip is perfect? Also, would a race holster improve on this (Ghost holster, etc...)?

Thanks,

You can't use a "race holster" in Production division- Plenty of dryfire practice will get you to achieve the grip you are looking for. Try practicing the draw in steps. Step one- attain a full grip of the gun in holster, Step two- draw gun and attain a two hand grip in the retention position, Step three- remove safety (if applicable) and extend to firing position. Remember the "grip" is attained immediately and in the holster for the best results. You can read up on this in several publications as well as DVD sets. Brian Enos, Matt Burkett, Saul Kirsch, Sam Conway and many more have informational materials on the subject of the draw.

Hey guys,

I am new to IPSC. I only shot about 3 matches. I pracitce live fire once a week and dry fire about 2-3 times a week. I shoot a CZ SP01 in production class with a Blade Tec DOH holster. My problem is that a lot of times I don't get a great grip on the gun after the buzzer and end up shooting C's instead of A's.

What is the best practice method that I could use to develop this skill where after the draw the grip is perfect? Also, would a race holster improve on this (Ghost holster, etc...)?

Thanks,

Keep dryfiring. Just make sure you are using proper technique.

Holster or etc. has no effect on the benefit of 50-100K reps.

Thats what you really need.

Make it fun and more beneficial by setting up drills and practicing more than just draws

Hey guys,

Dry fire, BUT... dry fire with a plan in mind AND on paper.

Get SA's (Steve Anderson's) books. Here is here on the forum, do a search for them.

Follow the dry fire drills in the book and chart your progress.

My bet is that you are pushing too fast on the draw thinking "fastfastfastfast!!!!" and not "two alpha.. two alpha.." :unsure:

Welcome to the sport and the forum!

Gabe, welcome! :)

To get a good grip everytime, you need to practice that in dryfire: getting a good grip everytime :) Don't accept anything less and make sure you have a good grip before you start pulling the trigger.

A race holster will improve your draw times maybe a little, once you get to a certain level, but the DOH will take you as far as you want to go. Winning matches is not in the holster, it's in the practice.

Also, race holsters in Production are only legal in IPSC Production, not in USPSA Production. Be sure of which one you shoot before you buy one. It would be a shame to waste money on an "illegal" holster

Cheers!

Hi Gabe - I shoot your exact same setup as far as gun and holster. Good choices.

Now the solution to your problem: during the draw, you need to first get to the gun, and THEN, push DOWN on the gun before lifting UP and out of the holster. That initial push DOWN will seat your hand into the exact same position each time.

As for speed, the reall speed in the draw comes primarily from 2 places: 1) being smooth- this is what you learn in dry fire and 2) the "rip" upwards out of the holster (again, be smooth); this is the only part of the draw that needs to be forceful. But always smooth.

Regards,

C.

The consistency of your grip will improve in direct proportion to the amount of quality dry-drawing you do.

Practice drawing at a slower speed until you get a perfect grip almost every time. Then gradually speed up the movement while keeping the goal of a good grip firmly in mind.

be

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the problem is that I am trying to draw at GM speed. I'm going to have to develop my draw at a slow speed first as you guys suggested.

I also ordered two books from this website (Perfect Practice & Refinement and Repetition) as a guide for practice.