Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading die for wadcutter

itchy

Hi,

I've got the revolver bug now. I'm thinking about buying another press to load 38 special. I'm probably going to try out ICORE and a friend of mine keeps bugging me to shoot PPC. Anybody know what kind of seating die I should get to load wadcutter? (Gee I hope I have some Federal primers stashed away somewhere.)

Thanks,

Itchy

RCBS dies should have a flat faced wadcutter seating plug.

A trick I used when loading .32 S&WL wadcutters with Lee dies was to back out the seating stem and stick a wadcutter into the die upside down. It will compress into the die and give you a flat faced surface to seat the wadcutters. It takes a few rounds to get it settled but after that it works great. When you want to load another type of bullet just screw down the seating stem and it will pop out. I keep the compressed bullet in the die box for when I need it again.

Neal in AZ

You know, the one used to flare the case mouth. They have an expander plug that is flat on the end. I use the flat part to seat the wadcutterflush with the case mouth.

Hmm. I'm going to be using a Dillon 1050. The station that "bells" the case is also the one that drops the powder. I'm thinking I'll need a dedicated seating die on this machine.

So, yesterday, I go the neighbor's house for 15 minutes and what happens? I see the FedEx truck drive by. I run back to the computer to see if they had tried to deliver my press. Sure enough, "customer not home for delivery". :angry: I almost got in my truck to look for the FedEx truck. Oh well. Now I have to go to the hub on Tuesday to pick it up.

Itchy

Hi,

I've got the revolver bug now. I'm thinking about buying another press to load 38 special. I'm probably going to try out ICORE and a friend of mine keeps bugging me to shoot PPC. Anybody know what kind of seating die I should get to load wadcutter? (Gee I hope I have some Federal primers stashed away somewhere.)

Thanks,

Itchy

Something to consider in ICORE is the need to reload. A Round Nose does make for a much better reload, tending to slip into the charging holes smoothly. For PPC I do not know what bullet configuration is preferred. This does fall outside of your specific question but is important to consider for matches.

Something to consider in ICORE is the need to reload. A Round Nose does make for a much better reload, tending to slip into the charging holes smoothly. For PPC I do not know what bullet configuration is preferred. This does fall outside of your specific question but is important to consider for matches.

Thanks for the reply. For ICORE, I'm going to use roundnose or flatpoint. I'm planning to shoot PPC also, which is similar to bullseye. Most of my friends shoot lead wadcutter for PPC. I was going to try to get some extra mileage out of the press, by loading for PPC too.

Maybe I'll try posting under "other shooting sports".

Thanks,

Seiichi