Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Extended Mag Release won't release...?

ChrisMcCracken

I just got a wilson extended mag release for my 1911 through midway. I pulled out the old release, put the old spring in the new release, and installed the it. Fit to the gun is fine, but most of my magazines don't fall free when the would with my old release. They'll drop 1-2cm and stop. I can grab them and pull out, but it's not smooth. I put the old mag release back in, and the mags fall free perfectly.

How do I fix this? Where do i file/sand on the new mag release or is this a problem with my mags getting too widely spaced?

As always, I appreciate the help.

Chris

Edited by Erucolindon

With just the frame in your hand in the firing position, insert a mag slowly and look down from the top and see if you can tell which side is dragging on the mag body.

As stated above if it releases when you let off the release, remove a little from the left inside of the area where contacting the body. Or if your spring has been clipped any coils try a new spring it can act as a stop.

If it is dragging on the right side on the catch where it inserts into the mag to hold it in the weapon, you may have a coil bind on the spring in the release, stopping the release from going far enough to the right to fully release the mag. I had this problem with a ResComp release in a frame once. The spring cavity in the release was not as deep as the original. I clipped the spring 1/2 a coil at a time until it worked properly. YMMV good luck.

Welcome to the world of "Drop In" 1911 parts, all of them need fitting to work properly, The thing about extended mag releases is they can be pushed in farther so mag is released and then button continues until it grabs. the left side of mag. Usually people discover this little tidbit at a match as everything works perfect at home when they are using deliberate movements but as soon as a little stress comes into play people slam the button, and then the mag doesnt drop so people press on it harder.. Put a mag in and s.....l...o...w....l....e....y... press it see if mg doesnt fall out.

After following the above advice and examining the fit without the slide and later comparison with the old mag release, I found that the the snag was coming primarily from the flat portion in the center. My old mag release is ground down severely, even to the point of exposing the spring channel within. A small portion of drag can be attributed to the left side of the release when fully depressed, but this is limited for the most part by the external button. A little work with my small set of files has helped dramatically to improve the release of magazines, though I'll probably work on it a bit more when I have more time. Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Welcome to the world of "Drop In" 1911 parts, all of them need fitting to work properly, The thing about extended mag releases is they can be pushed in farther so mag is released and then button continues until it grabs. the left side of mag. Usually people discover this little tidbit at a match as everything works perfect at home when they are using deliberate movements but as soon as a little stress comes into play people slam the button, and then the mag doesnt drop so people press on it harder.. Put a mag in and s.....l...o...w....l....e....y... press it see if mg doesnt fall out.

I can see the emphasis on slowly but spell check is always handy