Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how do I remove factory front sight from Benelli M2 vent rib?

Gendaito

I just bought my first Benelli, a M2 Field with 21" vent rib barrel. I want to replace the factory front bead with a Hi Viz sight.

1) How do I remove the factory front sight?

2) Which Hi Viz front sight should I get? There's a large number of them and I don't know which one to get.

thanks!

I just bought my first Benelli, a M2 Field with 21" vent rib barrel. I want to replace the factory front bead with a Hi Viz sight.

1) How do I remove the factory front sight?

2) Which Hi Viz front sight should I get? There's a large number of them and I don't know which one to get.

thanks!

The front sight simply unscrews. I use the Hi Viz Comp model on my M2.

• 2 weeks later...

This info is correct, however, when I installed my Hi-Viz sight I found that it rotated about the single screw that held it in. Put the question to this forum and kurtm suggested that I drill it and pin it. This worked. I drilled a 1/16" hole through the sight and rib and pinned it with a cut off piece of a brad nail. Solved the problem but last year I noticed my "nail" had gone away. The new one was Loctited in. Still there.

thanks for the replies, my M2 now has a HiViz Comp Sight!

some follow-on questions, hopefully you guys can help with this too:

1) I added a Nordic Components +5 tube. When I disassembled the M2, I removed the limiter retainer (black cap-like thing that I had to squeeze with pliers to get out) and the limiter (red plastic thing). I don't need these parts anymore, right?

2) I also don't need the factory magazine endcap, right? The knurled cap from the NC kit replaces that, right?

3) After I cut the NC spring and put it in after my new NC follower, I put the old factory follower on (backwards) and then screwed on the NC endcap. It seemed odd to have nothing between the magazine spring and the endcap, so I figured I'd put the old factory follower there. Is that okay?

4) How do I get the darn bolt handle off? I pulled as hard as I could but it won't budge. Do I need to hit the gym and grow some muscles?

5) Do you think I need a barrel clamp? This gun will be used mostly for games.

thanks!

thanks for the replies, my M2 now has a HiViz Comp Sight!

some follow-on questions, hopefully you guys can help with this too:

1) I added a Nordic Components +5 tube. When I disassembled the M2, I removed the limiter retainer (black cap-like thing that I had to squeeze with pliers to get out) and the limiter (red plastic thing). I don't need these parts anymore, right? Nope

2) I also don't need the factory magazine endcap, right? The knurled cap from the NC kit replaces that, right? Nope, but save it.

3) After I cut the NC spring and put it in after my new NC follower, I put the old factory follower on (backwards) and then screwed on the NC endcap. It seemed odd to have nothing between the magazine spring and the endcap, so I figured I'd put the old factory follower there. Is that okay? The old follower like you have might bunch up the spring and you might not get full capacity. It's OK to not have anything on cap, just make sure the spring goes the right way so it will screw on smoothly

4) How do I get the darn bolt handle off? I pulled as hard as I could but it won't budge. Do I need to hit the gym and grow some muscles? Pull Harder

5) Do you think I need a barrel clamp? This gun will be used mostly for games. Yes, better safe than sorry.

thanks!

Are you pulling the bolt handle straight outward it will not hurt to put a rag on the handle and then grab it with some channel locks if I remember right mine was hard to get out too, but I never put it back in I got a Progressive Ti handle worth every dime.

• 1 year later...

Does the factory sight have a separate screw that goes through the sight base, or is the screw permanantely attached to the sight base?

What I'm getting at is should I just grab the whole sight and turn it, or try to remove the red plastic/fiber and then look for a screw to remove.

To answer my own question, to remove the front site just grab the whole thing and unscrew.

The Hi Viz sight I put on is Brownells part#638-000-033 which includes three white, three green and three red pieces of fiber. A small circle, large circle and a triangle.

Does adding the small nail do anything that just blue locktiting the screw doesn't accomplish?