Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Shortage?

Rob Boudrie

There are some signs showing that we may be getting into another primer shortage.

Federal and Winchester are largely out of stock, or dealers only have a very few types available. I have on-line access to the distributor used by a very large gun shop I consult for, and they have only Remington available in Pistol and Small Rifle. I have heard credible rumors of price increases on primers in the 20% to 40% range in January, 2008.

Which brings me to my question:

Does anyone on this list have any experience with Remington primers they can share? I wish to maintain an appropriate inventory of relevant strategic commodities, but am a bit nervous about switching brands when doing so.

Rob - I've been using Remington primers almost exclusively for 15 years. 1 1/2's for Glocks and several S_I's for 9mm minor, .40 minor and major, 2 1/2's for .44 Special and .45ACP and 7 1/2's for .223, .38Super, .454 Casull. Freedom Arms recommends Remington 7 1/2 primers for all of their .357 and .454 loads. I've never blown a primer out and I pushed 180 SSP bullets to 1,800 fps in a .357 in my old silhouette pistol (the makers recommendation).

FWIW, Precision Shooting had an article a number of years ago where they had someone to a scientific test of primers and they found that Remington primers had the toughest cups made.

FWIW, Precision Shooting had an article a number of years ago where they had someone to a scientific test of primers and they found that Remington primers had the toughest cups made.

Are you referring to the ability to resist primer flow, or to the level of force required to ignite?

What about Magtech primers? Any word on them?

I have posted my results here with them somewhere, but to distill it down: they are pretty d@mn hard to set off, and won't work in any of my pistols except with factory striker/main springs.

I just received another 10K of WSP last week to phase out the Magtechs, and have a line on another 10K of Federal SPP. I guess now is as good a time as any to secure all I'll need for the next year.

Are you referring to the ability to resist primer flow, or to the level of force required to ignite?

The ability to resist primer flow. They are no more difficult to set off that Winchesters or Federals. They may not work in a lightened DA revolver however they do work fine in my single actions, Glocks and rifles.

I don't know about current quality, but during the primer shortage in the 90s

:sick: I lost a slide due to erosion caused by Remington Primers leaking.

I was shipped 5k of Remingtons as a substitute for Winchesters. Within a 1000 rounds, there was 360° of erosion on the brechface. This was with CP brass (Bell Labs) and a Springfield LSP P9 slide. This was with my practice loads that were between 28-30k cup pressure.

Kenny

(I've still got 4000 left)

For what it is worth, I have used CCI, Remington, Federal, Winchester and Magtech smallpistol primers in the 4 years I have been shooting andhave not had any problems with them if they are seated all the way.

I lost a slide due to erosion caused by Remington Primers leaking.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I heard a rumor that Clark Custom can salvage a slide by putting a bushing on the breechface- similar to what S&W does with their revolvers. Is there any truth to that Reneet?