Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder sticking in Powder Funnel.

Yesterday i tried to set up my XL650 for loading .223 with Accurate XMR 2015.

The powder was always clogging the funnel after 3 to 5 rounds so that I hat to de-clog it with a piece of wire after removing the Powder Measure.

Loading this way is not funny ... :blink:

Any known problems with loading XMR 2015 or similar powders?

Suggestions?

Thank you very much

Erik

I don't know anything about XMR2015, but there were a couple of suggestions in the past about improving the powder measure. One was to take it apart and polish the aluminum funnel part until it's smooth and shiny. If the powder is clumping in the tube of the funnel, there may be a humidity problem. Dryer sheets wrapped around the powder measure can help with sticky powder too.

Good luck.

Found the link :D

Polishing Powder Measure

Edited by .40AET

I don't know anything about XMR2015 the granules of XMR 2015 are like rods about 0,7 mm diameter and 2 to 2,5 mm long, but there were a couple of suggestions in the past about improving the powder measure. One was to take it apart and polish the aluminum funnel part until it's smooth and shiny. If the powder is clumping in the tube of the funnel indeed - HERE it is clumping, there may be a humidity problem. Dryer sheets wrapped around the powder measure can help with sticky powder too.

Humidity as reason is quite impossible 'cause I opened the sealed bottle just before filling the measure.Good luck.

Found the link :D

Polishing Powder Measure

I'll try polishing the inside of the funnel - perhaps it helps.

Further suggestions?

It also greatly helps to pull the handle down SlowLY! It should take at least one full second to move the powder bar from one side to the other. The idea is to move the powder bar slowly enough that powder freely falls through the funnel, and doesn't back up on the top of the funnel. When that happens the powder on top is trying to push the powder through the funnel, resulting in frequent log-jams in the funnel. :ph34r:

We have loaded a fair amount of XMR 2015 with a 550B and have had no trouble with clogging. I am surprised to hear that it happened.

But as dillon mentions, one thing we do is pull the lever down much slower than when loading pistol and staying in the down position for a second or two.

It takes a lot longer for 21+ grains to flow into a rifle cartridge than the small amount of powder in a pistol cartridge.

(Just curious, what's your load?)

We have loaded a fair amount of XMR 2015 with a 550B and have had no trouble with clogging. I am surprised to hear that it happened.

But as dillon mentions, one thing we do is pull the lever down much slower than when loading pistol and staying in the down position for a second or two. Perhaps I was too fast ...It takes a lot longer for 21+ grains to flow into a rifle cartridge than the small amount of powder in a pistol cartridge.

(Just curious, what's your load?)

My load data are from a German gun, ammo and reloading magazine.

It's part of several ammo tests (factory ammo and reloaded ammo) for the civilian version of the SIG 550 Sniper rifle.

powder: Acc. XMR 2015 24 gr.

bullet: Sierra Match King HPBT 52 gr., .224 dia.

case: PMC (I used RP)

primer: PMC green (I used PMC without "green", whatever green means)

OAL: 56,5 mm