Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sideways Primers

ONG

Hi folks,

Basicly been running my 550 problem free [except for the cost of bullets] other than I have been getting 2-3 (per 100) primers stuck sideways in the case when I go to seat them. (using once shot brass) What am I doing wrong?

Hi folks,

Basicly been running my 550 problem free [except for the cost of bullets] other than I have been getting 2-3 (per 100) primers stuck sideways in the case when I go to seat them. (using once shot brass) What am I doing wrong?

Photo credit Dillion Precision

20048_rl_550b_spare_parts_kit.jpg

The blue/red parts (Magazine Orofices)go in the primer tube on the end. If it gets worn or bent you can get primers sideways. Also, alignment issues and if the primer bar gets sticky and jumps instead of moving without restriction.

My bet is the magazine orofice is worn or bent. Clean the tube out while your there.

If you don't already have one call Brian and get the "small parts kit."

Edited by JThompson

<_< on your plastic rod that holds the primers down=.... take an old 45 case and shove it over the top of the rod to add some mass to it. that will push the primer down just a bit more and take most all the problems away

:blink: Take the rod out of the Primer Toob first :blink: the 45 case will stick on the rod your years to come. ;)

Hi folks,

By any chance do you load muliple calibers? I had the same thing happen and realized I left the 40 shellplate in while trying to load 9s. Switched shellplates and problem fixed.

Hi folks,

By any chance do you load muliple calibers? I had the same thing happen and realized I left the 40 shellplate in while trying to load 9s. Switched shellplates and problem fixed.

Not yet New to the reloading fun, just .45 acp so far.

Hi folks,

Not yet New to the reloading fun, just .45 acp so far.

OK folks I'll clean up the tube and primer bar & add a .45 shell to the knob. Thanks I'll report back what I find.

Try tightening the shellplate holder. On my 650, I tighten it hand tight and then back off 1/8-1/16 of a turn. This keeps the shellplate close to the primers as they come around and not let it flip. When I did this, the sideways primer problem went away.

Well I unintenionaly changed 2 things at one. I put the 45 case on top of the plastic primer rod and started a different batch of brass. I thought I had cleaned the brass well enough but the process was sticking when I flared the brass. With the clean brass it is as smooth as can be. One of the 2 changes has pretty much fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help folks.

JThompson I think has the correct answer that you are seeking.

Hi folks,

Slight drift: Aren't the shellplates the same part number? I don't even bother to switch them anymore when switching between 9MM & .40.