Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where's my primers?

DonT

I started to post this in "What I Hate" but realized that I would welcome feedback so put it here.

This may be old news to ya'll but I just discovered there are no more primers (the ones I use anyway) and the suppliers are running out of the other big name primer as well. Sm pistol and sm rifle gone :blink:

I went this afternoon to pick up my order from my local supplier who just recieved his order and no primers. Well he had the other brand so I guess I'll be switching. He was told it is due to big government contracts.

Does anyone have more info or idea when things will get back to normal? Maybe I should start hoarding WWB :ph34r:

DonT

I heard from a pretty good source the "Department of Defense" let a contract for primers that is so large the requirement had to be spread across the three largest US primer manufacturers and do not expect SRP or SPP for may be a year. The "guns of IRAQ" need to be fed!

The current Iraq "surge" probably resulted in even more training ammunition demands, as well as demand for ammo by the contractors (any idea of the total number of warm bodies over there? It much be huge).

In any event, I found a much higher quality primer to use that is not made in the US: the PMC/Wolf primer. David Tubb won't ase any other primer - and he ought to know. Best parts are, they are cheaper and actually available.

In any event, I found a much higher quality primer to use that is not made in the US: the PMC/Wolf primer. David Tubb won't ase any other primer - and he ought to know. Best parts are, they are cheaper and actually available.

Anyone used the wolf primers with a Glock and lightened trigger spring? Fed primers are scarce! Real scarce!

The current Iraq "surge" probably resulted in even more training ammunition demands, as well as demand for ammo by the contractors (any idea of the total number of warm bodies over there? It much be huge).

Any idea of the "hardness" specs of the primers?

Anyone used the wolf primers with a Glock and lightened trigger spring? Fed primers are scarce! Real scarce!

I just got 1000 Wolf small pistol primers in the mail yesterday and will be testing them in my glock in the very near future. I will post a separate thread on this when I get some good info. I'm running RS triggerkits with Wolfe comp spring kits in both of my glock production guns.

I doubt there will be any change in pf based on Carlos' previous inputs into this with his CZ, so I am foregoing any chrono'ing until this spring. I WILL be testing them for reliability and grouping out of the glock soon.

I doubt the reason is anything other than hoarders. You know the type, they guy who reloads ~500 rounds a year yet bought 50,000 because he had the money.

I keep reminding fools that anything over 10,000 primers might pose a problem with your homeowner's policy. Ditto with more than 20 pounds of propellents.

Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered 20K from Powder Valley but paid xtra for match primers.

Carlos_Thanks for the heads up on PMC/Wolf. Never thought of that. Next time.

DonT

ok don, I just gotta know, what did shipping cost ya?

Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered 20K from Powder Valley but paid xtra for match primers.

Carlos_Thanks for the heads up on PMC/Wolf. Never thought of that. Next time.

DonT

ok don, I just gotta know, what did shipping cost ya?

All I'm gonna say is, it wasn't near as much as the powder :D