Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jordan Vs. Miculek

fdkay

Jordan Troopers are on all my S&W revolvers. Don't know if you're familiar with Herretts website, but you send them an outline of your hand and they make them to fit. They're a really good choice if you have long hands and need a covered backstrap.

I have Hogue rubber grips on all my revolvers and like them best of all as the rubber design is a good grip and it absorbs recoil. The Hogue's help run the IRC and donate lots of time and money into the shooting sports, especially revolver matches. How about supporting those who support us?

Bill Sahlberg

NRA Life

USPSA Life

ICORE

28 years PPC

I put the Hogue rubber grips on my 686 and 60. Liked them alot. Just ordered the same for my 625 5" and my 625 JM. Like you say the JM grips are nice looking but not for me with Major loads.

The Hogues are short money so if you don't like them your not out a bunch of $.

The Hogues help run the IRC and donate lots of time and money into the shooting sports, especially revolver matches. How about supporting those who support us?

Bill makes an excellent point. Here is another opportunity to patronize the Hogue family: http://www.sani-soft.com/ (Think we'll see any of these on the prize table at the IRC??) :D

I have rubber or wood Hogues on most of my revolvers, and have used them on my competition guns for many years.

Interestingly, when I saw this thread, I didn't even think of grips, I figured we would be comparing the two revolver shooters the grips are named after!

Edited by Carmoney

I have Hogues on most of my revolvers. I really like them and have for years.

I tried the Miculek grips and didn't like them at all. The gun felt like it was going to squirt out the top of my hands.

I have rubber and wood Hogues with finger grooves and one wood without finger grooves.

Even the 19 I posted the picture of yesterday, it will have some Jordan troopers on it but when I shoot it a lot it will have Hogues.

Thanks for all of the replies. I know Jordan had large hands, I've got a pretty good set of paws myself. My hands cover a lot of area, but are not real meaty. I wasn't really expecting a link to tiolet seats though, although a lot of my shooting seems to head that way!

I have extensive experience with both of these, so here goes...

There are a few different versions of the Jordan grips. Years ago I first started with a plastic version that I believe was made by Pachmayr. They were more "rounded" (like the Miculek grips) but fully enclosed the hump on the backstrap. They felt good but being made of plastic, the fit was kind of loose, which was aggravating. Eventually a small piece broke off behind the trigger guard and they became useless. It was a good set of grips but poorly made in my opinion. I have since seen some that appear to be made of nylon and are more ductile so they should fit better and not break.

After that I started ordering made-for-the-hand stocks from Herrett's. I bought a couple of Jordan Trooper's in K and N Frame sizes and eventually realized they are just too big for me. I am almost as tall as Bill Jordan but I have very small and dainty hands and it just didn't work. I ended up whittling away the backstraps to make them fit better. All their custom stocks are made by a nice lady named Dee who does magnificent work but she always made them a bit too big for my small hands. I always ordered them smooth, without checkering or finger grooves.

Then I tried a Miculek with my 625 and I believe it's the best thing going. I do a conventional reload and swap hands so I prefer wood over rubber. Rubber sticks to clothing and I don't like that either. But if you are looking for something for a dedicated competition gun and do the weak hand reload, rubber just might be for you.

Herrett's maks a nice alternative to the Jordan Trooper called the Shooting Master. It is like the Jordan but symmetrical with thumb relief cut on both sides. I have a set on my 4" concealed carry Redhawk and like them a lot. Again, they are a bit large but they handle the heavy recoil extremely well.

Nobody can ever make grips that fit your hand perfectly. That's up to you. All my grips are modified. I always need to thin the Herrett stocks and remove some sharp edges. I need to make the Miculek grips more user friendly by removing sharp edges and building up the butt of the backstrap with epoxy before it's just right for me. Keep in mind that it's better to have grips that are too large and not too small. Large grips can be whittled and sanded, but you're screwed if they're too small. And I have found that finger grooves never fit properly, no matter who makes them.

Dave Sinko

I have a set on my 4" concealed carry Redhawk

When I saw the phrase "concealed carry Redhawk" I was going to say Bill would approve. But then I realized that it would be much more appropriate to say Elmer would approve! :)

Bless that man.

Thanks for all of the replies. I know Jordan had large hands, I've got a pretty good set of paws myself. My hands cover a lot of area, but are not real meaty.

Exactly the kind of hands Jordan Troopers are made for. When I think of them, I automatically think Herretts.

A long time age I was shown what seems to be a fairly good test for how big a set of grips you need: Grab a standard issue 12 oz. can (funny how this usually comes up while there's a beer in hand) and see how close your thumb and middle finger come to touching, tip to tip. It's an interesting comparison if you get a few people standing around.

Edited by Tom E

This reminds me of the running battle that Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton had over gips. That when they tried each others guns they swapped grips. Something like "Bill hates my grips and I despise his"

I was talking with Matt Hogue this last weekend at the area 2 match and he had on a set of grips on his 625 that were called "recoil tamers" they covered the whole backstrap and I belive were the same type of grip on the new x frame guns but made to fit the N frame. I looked tru there online cataloge and could not find the grip in it, might have to call them up directly to get one ordered. they are rubber grips.

John, you can put the X-frame grips you are describing on an N-frame RB gun and they will work fine. I did this exact thing on the 329PD I briefly owned. You can order the X-frame grip directly from S&W. This is a good option for those who like the feel of Hogue grips but want more "meat" behind the backstrap.