Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Viper & Mongoose

Singlestack

• 1 month later...

Hey Singlestack, have thoes hybrid holes on the Mongoose blown the lens out of the c-more yet? They look awful close wthout a blast shield of some kind.

They are close....

After 1.5yrs I have 3 dings in the C-More lens. I do not notice them unless I look for them. I put a blast shield on it before I shot it the first time and after about 20 rounds I took it off because I was scared it would damage the C-More frame. The blast shield was directly over the last port and catching blast from the middle one too.

• 1 year later...

Update:

At about 2 years the C-more was getting pretty well beat up. I did not want to have to replace the lens so I took a Kidd blast shield and modified it so it does not extend over the first port and trimmed the sides so I can't see it on the sides of the lens and I like it much better. I used to have to clean the lens after every stage and now I clean it after the match. I used a pencil as a guide and kept trimming until it would stand straight up in the port. After 1 year the blast shield is showing wear and I am considering drilling and taping 2 holes on either side of the face of the shield and attaching a piece of sheet metal.

1777585MongooseBlastShield2.jpg

1777586MongooseBlastshield3.jpg

1777587MongooseBlastshield4.jpg

1777588Mongoosebalstshield5.jpg

I guess this post belongs here more than the other topic.

Here's uscbigdawg's other Viper (Spanky) he's letting me "borrow" until the day he wants it back or I'm tired of shooting it, which may be longer than Rich thinks ;) I love this gun!

viper1.JPG

viper2.JPG

• 1 month later...

I got a chance to handle and shoot a Mongoose this weekend. Y'all know I own a Viper, of course ;)

I have to say - very very nice. It's an older Mongoose, similar to Singlestack's, with a Hybricomp barrel. Actually, there were two barrels, one for 9 Major, and one for .38 SC. We shot some of my .38 SC loads through it - they chrono'ed at 166PF in the Mongoose, 170 in the Viper. The Mongoose shot softish, tracked straight up and down, and was suprisingly flat. That is to say - flatter than my Viper with the same N350 load, but not quite as soft. The guns were comparable in accuracy with Major loads.

Very nice :) Me likee. Me still likee my Viper, though, too :)

is that a stress fracture in the corner of that C-more mount? or just a piece of trash blown out of the barrel ports?

good looking guns nonetheless

You made me go look (I did not notice it before). Its just crud. It was still there. :lol:

Thanks btw. :)