Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem -Recoil Master on Para 18.9 LTD LDA

Mark K

I just bought an STI Recoil Master (Light/Bushing version) from Brownells. This was going in my Para 18.9 LTD LDA. Installation went according to instructions, until I tried to rack the slide. As soon as the barrel comes out of battery, it is evident that the back of the Recoil Master is binding between the frame and the barrel. Is this because the Recoil Master does not have the U-shaped cutout that a conventional guide rod has? Advice?

Mark

I just bought an STI Recoil Master (Light/Bushing version) from Brownells. This was going in my Para 18.9 LTD LDA. Installation went according to instructions, until I tried to rack the slide. As soon as the barrel comes out of battery, it is evident that the back of the Recoil Master is binding between the frame and the barrel. Is this because the Recoil Master does not have the U-shaped cutout that a conventional guide rod has? Advice?

Mark

You are probaly right. My question is why you would want a recoilmaster in a 9mm para? Put the guide rod back in the pistol and play with spring wieght if you want to tune some. ---------------Larry

Mark

You are probaly right. My question is why you would want a recoilmaster in a 9mm para? Put the guide rod back in the pistol and play with spring wieght if you want to tune some. ---------------Larry

Larry, Thanks. That's what I did for the time being. Why did I buy it? :rolleyes: Why do any of us buy the aftermarket stuff? We are trying to improve performance, I guess. And sometime just because we can. :rolleyes:

Since you suggested it, I have 15# recoil spring now, what do you suggest? Higher, lower, progressive?

I am new to the pistol game, not to shooting. Softening recoil sounded like a good thing.

TIA

Mark

Hello: I have a 9lb ISMI recoil spring in my STI 2011 9mm I built. I have tried and liked a 15lb spring in my Kimber 9mm. I would try a heavy spring then try a light spring to see which one you shoot better. I would use a clock and see your scores to see which is best for you. That is what I have been told anyways ;-). Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thanks. OK, Gang. Educate me.

Why lighter? When is it too light? When if fails to chamber a round?

(BTW: I already use shock buffers (1))

I am trying to learn then ins and outs of the 1911/2011.

Other than the slightly lighter Recoil spring I am now using, the only tuning I have tried is first a 17# and then a 15# mainspring to lighten the trigger.

TIA

Mark

from my experience, going lighter helps tame the gun a bit (using the same loads). though taming a production 9mm shouldn't be too hard ;) .

going too light can cause frame battering and if your mag springs aren't up to par, you'll have some feed issues. shock buffs with a light recoil spring help to decrease frame battering but if not inspected frequently, you'll have some issues (shock buff starts flaring out and starts rubbing the insides of the frame).

as for a 15# mainspring, it may cause light primer strikes especially if you have a standard weight hammer. a lighter hammer will help ignitine most rounds but its not 100%.

i'm not too familiar with the LDA system so the mainspring tip might be wrong.

Update: Response from STI support suggested that I take off a little of the diameter of the recoil master. I did that, and it fits. I am going to give it a try, but I also ordered a few lighter conventional springs this afternoon, and will give them a try when they come in.

Thanks all,

Mark

Intital tests with the RM were pretty good. I think the time back on target was faster, but for a few rounds the chambering seemed to hang slightly. The gun needs cleaning, so I will try again later, when I compare with the conventional guide rod and lighter springs.

Mark.