Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Fast Fire, & other Open Glock on Cheap Q's

boo radley

Thinking about putting a dot on my G17 to dabble in Open (maybe) and use as a training aid for Production.

SJC is the obvious choice, but I'm trying to stay *well* below $1k.

First, I'd like to do all the work myself, (only for convenience and cost) and I'm not comfortable milling the slide. I'm thinking about the new Burris Fast-Fire and mount. I assume the mount fits the factory dove-tail. Would a sight like this or Jpoint/Docter etc., require lowering the ejection port? Second, are these mounts solid enough to handle recoil? Many people using Docters or Jpoints seem to have the slide milled to accept them -- is this a strength issue, or just to lower the dot?

For the barrel and comp, the Lone Wolf set-up looks right -- any other barrel/comp combos out there for cheaper than a gunsmith-fit KKM?

Finally, I'm guessing I'll need a steel recoil rod and collection of ISMI recoil springs various weights?

Thx

Steve

Thinking about putting a dot on my G17 to dabble in Open (maybe) and use as a training aid for Production.

SJC is the obvious choice, but I'm trying to stay *well* below $1k.

First, I'd like to do all the work myself, (only for convenience and cost) and I'm not comfortable milling the slide. I'm thinking about the new Burris Fast-Fire and mount. I assume the mount fits the factory dove-tail. Would a sight like this or Jpoint/Docter etc., require lowering the ejection port? Second, are these mounts solid enough to handle recoil? Many people using Docters or Jpoints seem to have the slide milled to accept them -- is this a strength issue, or just to lower the dot?

For the barrel and comp, the Lone Wolf set-up looks right -- any other barrel/comp combos out there for cheaper than a gunsmith-fit KKM?

Finally, I'm guessing I'll need a steel recoil rod and collection of ISMI recoil springs various weights?

Thx

Steve

Need more INFO: are you going to shoot major or just WWB 9mm?

If you plan to shoot Major you can't go wrong with the KKM Match fitted barrel it offers

the best support that I've seen.

Need more INFO: are you going to shoot major or just WWB 9mm?

If you plan to shoot Major you can't go wrong with the KKM Match fitted barrel it offers

the best support that I've seen.

Some of both? I'd *like* to load to major PF, but if I can only run reliably/safely at lower velocities, it won't bother me too much. This is more an experiment than anything else.

Thx

i used a j-point with their mount on my G34 as well as a LWD 6-port barrel in minor with great success. you do not need to lower the ejection port at this point. I have since switched to a G17 full open that I built myself. i am using all SJC parts except for a carver mount, only because i did not want to have to drill the frame for the mount. if you know how to use a dremel you can lower the ejection port yourself. Bobby Carver gave me direction as well as photo's on where and how much material to remove from the ejection port, great guy by the way. the barrel is a drop in KKM with an SJC major comp. i have approx. 1K in the build including the gun so it is possible to build it yourself. i am sure the gun that SJC would build is a great improvement from what I did but at this point I am very pleased with mine.

good luck and feel free to grill me for more information.

I also wanted to try open on the cheap and I did a G17 myself and it wasn't that difficult except you have to make sure that you have a 3rd generation frame. I tried it on a 2nd not knowing this and it was a nightmare. That being said. Mine shoots WWB fine but feels sluggish compared to major loads. Also I didn't lower the ejection port since using the JPoint requires no mount that would get in the way you really don't need to.

My set up is as follows

KKM match barrel & comp

JPoint sight w/dovetail mount

Dawson Ice magwell

Thx all...I realized that the Burris is a 4MOA dot, which is probably way too small, no?

CTGun -- do you also shoot major through your set-up? (I'm assuming, yes). Did the KKM barrel require fitting?

Is there any big difference in terms of height between the Jpoint and Docter in dovetail mounts?

I'm thinking if I try a dovetail mount with one of those optics, and really end up liking the whole experience, I could eventually get the slide milled, and have the optic properly fit....I can still see this beginning to get expensive.

Still on the fence -- thx all, for the links....

It looks like KKM sells their own barrel and 3-port comp for $300.

Lone Wolf sells a barrel and their own comp for $150. That seems like a pretty big difference to get the 'same' thing. Anyone have experience with the KKM compensator? Any problems shooting major through it?

Lone Wolf sells a barrel and their own comp for $150. That seems like a pretty big difference to get the 'same' thing. Anyone have experience with the KKM compensator? Any problems shooting major through it?

KKM compensators are down to 3 ports now for 9mm, I think. Lone Wolf set-up will probably be more effective.

KKM compensators are down to 3 ports now for 9mm, I think. Lone Wolf set-up will probably be more effective.

Yeah...stayed up late reading everything I could, and I'm more confused than ever. I think I'll call LW today, and see what they offer for comps and options. I wonder if they're aluminum or steel? Reading some comments from the SJC folk, sounds like I want as light as comp as possible...

I'm also back to considering the Burris FastFire. While it's only a 4MOA dot, from the few reports that are out there it's a BRIGHT 4 dot. And the price -- $165 from SWFA is tempting, plus another $30 for the mount. Seem reasonable?

I'm thinking this is going to be less a major capable open gun, than just an experiment and training aid. If I don't like it, I'll sell the parts. If I do like it, I'll dabble in Open minor, and maybe start saving towards an SJC or S*I.

If you go 9 major using KKM get a 4 port comp. It won't work with ammo like WWB(not enough recoil) but is flat when shooting major. The LW comp is aluminum and I've read the whole gun rises in recoil.

I have one G34 set up w/KKM and 4 port comp using a Dr red dot and am getting ready to set up another one w/the same barrel and comp combination but this time using a Fast Fire.

Good luck. :)

Edited by the duck of death

I tried it on a 2nd not knowing this and it was a nightmare.

G'day.

What was the problem with the 2nd Gen gun? Details Please?

Thanks.

It has something to do with the locking block I am not sure of the exact reason why but I took the top end off of my 2nd gen frame that I was having problems with and put it on a 3rd gen frame and all of the problems all of a sudden vanished. But that is just my experiance FWIW.