Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Primers

Swede20

I am having a lot of primer problems while reloading. They are erratically feeding into the primer pockets of the cases. I am loading on a Dillon 650 using federal small pistol primers for .40 S&W. They usually get smashed while being seated or wont go in at all. I don't know if it is the primers or the reloader. I can't use winchester because i've had problems with light strikes because I shoot a glock.

Might be your brass. S&B is notorious for having tight primer pockets. I can tell when I hit a S&B case that has snuck into the mix when I am running through the Dillon. There are others that are known to have tight primer pockets but the headstamps escape me at the moment.

Winchester, Speer, Federal all run through just fine.

Hope that helps.

In addition to the S&B (primer pockets too shallow) I have more problems with the mil surplus stuff the WCC headstamp (primer pocket crimp). The primer pocket shears off one side of the primer. The advice I've been given was to deal with it or get a 1050 which has (I think) a primer pocket swaging station. Tighten down your shell plate a little, and pause the handle at the "neutral position" before completing the primer seating stroke. This will give the shell plate time to catch up with your stroke. These two things cure the problem for me as much as anything. If I catch a primer has been seated incorrectly before adding the powder, I'll grab the edge that is sticking up with a pair of vice grips and pull it out. Yes sometimes this sets off the primer, so ONLY DO THIS WITH A CASE AND PRIMER ONLY NEVER A FULLY LOADED ROUND. Then manually index the primer "tray" and try to seat a second primer if that fails as well you have a problem with the case that a 650 can't solve. I pitch the case.

Swede,

I have the same problem, with S&B brass and Federal SP100's. It only occurs with S&B 9mm brass, the S&B .40 is OK, especially after the first time reloading.

The problem totally disappears with Winchester primers. I'm using a 1050 BTW.

Since I shoot a Glock too, I find it strange that Winchesters are giving you a problem in your Glock. Do you still use the original striker spring? That one is critical once you start using Winchester. Federals can be shot with a lighter spring.

Any Glock should be able to shoot ammo with *any* primers. S&B factory ammo runs just fine, while they have the name containing the toughest primers.

You might also want to check the striker tunnel being clean / the striker not being hampered in any way.

cheers

Oleg

Swede20,

I load Federal primers for my Glock (reduced power striker spring) on the 650.

I have recently went thru a 800 round session, then a 600 round session without any issues. All of that was with Winchester once-fired brass.

I started with a clean machine. (That seems to help the whole process go better.)

I have been taking a bit of extra time to ensure that the slots in the shell plate are free of crap (take a tooth brush to the slots). I don't want anything in those slots that may keep the case from being in centered in the slot. (If the problem is with one of the slots on the shell plate, then it will appear once per rotation...every 5th case.)

Check the spring arm that holds the brass in the priming station. Mine was missing the washer/bushing when I got my press (used).

Tighten down your shell plate a little...,

I actually need to loosen my shell plate to get better function (not by much, though). Whatever you have to do, the end result needs to be a properly tensioned shell plate.

...and pause the handle at the "neutral position" before completing the primer seating stroke. This will give the shell plate time to catch up with your stroke.

Vital. Kinda like shooting smooth (smooth is fast).

• 2 weeks later...

Like the others here, the only time I have had any issues with Federal Primers was when I used "other" brass....S&B, Speer, Gecico (sp), et. all. Did that early in my reloading life and no longer use them. [They do work fine, however, in my SIG's.]

When I use my "regular" brass collection (Win, R-P, FC, PMC, CBC) I have zero problems.

All through a Glock 34.

i use mixed brass but it is about 90% winchester which i have problems with too. It seems when i use winchester primers they never jam in anything ie machine, primer filler, or in the primer pocket of the case. When i use federal they sometimes jam in my automatic primer filler. They always jam in both of my machines-650 and 1050, and they have frequent problems seating into the cases. I wish i could use winchesters but i sometimes have light strikes with them.

Be careful using Federal primers in the 650. I only use Winchester do to having federals ignite on 3 different occasions. Dillon told me that the 650 has much more leverage than the other machines and Federals are the brand which go off easiest. Maybe use you should fix the glock.

I have not run FED primers thru my dillon, but they are major pain in RCBS hand primer.

LEE says to never use them in their stuff.

I only use them when absolutely neccessary ( 1 revo with light mainspring )

Another thread " Primer sensitivity observations ", someone commented that REM. primers

were more sensitive than Win.

Travis F.

I never use Federals in my 650 but, it is the only primer I run in my square deal. The only reason is because I load my revolver stuff on it and nothing else. Last time I talked to Dillon they said the only problem is with the 650 do to a lot more leverage. I've used them in the 650 but, now with caution. It scares the heck out of you when the primer tray ingites and sets off the rest of the primers in the tube. When it happens it also blows the plastic primer weight into a million pieces. Not a good thing.

My crushed primer issues went away when i reinforced my bench,anchored the case feeder to the shelf behind it and cleaned the machine.It also helps if you properly adjust the shellplate locator(is that right?).

DO NOT USE SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS IN A GLOCK.Nothing bad happens except alot of light hits.

Thanks to everyone for the cool tips