Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AIRSOFT!

Rocket35

Just received my new 'lil toy today. This thing is cool! I can't believe how realistic they make these things. And for less than $100 brand new! The DP "ICE" magwell fits perfectly. The trigger is very comperable to the weight of my STI. Most likely due to the light weight components of this plastic toy. Figuring out how to fire without BB's was a snap. Normal operation would have the slide lock back when empty. While looking around at the Airsoft stuff at Wal-Mart, I found that they had some pretty cool target systems as well. A little plate rack with auto-resetting plates and a "running target" that you could put a 1/3 scale IPSC target on like I made (seen in the photos). The funny thing is the packages to these items has a picture of Eric Graufel on them! This will make winter training more realistic- not to mention more cost efficient and convenient! All I have to do is walk into my heated garage instead of driving 45 minutes to the closest indoor range and paying a $20 range fee! I found out also that "Green Gas" is basically propane. The cost of local propane is FAR cheaper than the advertised Green Gas, easy to find and without the shipping wait. Well here are the pics...

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02582.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't Drop the mag! on may thing harder than a bed. = even on the carpet the thing will break.

Yeah- I have heard that- so I will be doing move of my reload practice with the STI. But I do have a set-up that works on a card table. I just put a laundry basket with an old comforter in it. It fits in my CR-Speed holster great with the old cup style muzzle platform.

Albertl35:

I got it online through Airsplat.com...

Mags are pretty cheap at $24 a piece, and I know where to get replaceable feed lips too. Forgot to add that in the previous post.

Are the mags "tuned?" :D Nice looking "blaster!"

Actually I did "tune" the mags- that is how I keep it from locking back when empty. This way I can shoot without BBs. All you have to do is dremel half of the little tab on the follower that contacts the slide stop. So yes- there tuned! :P

Mags are pretty cheap at $24 a piece, and I know where to get replaceable feed lips too. Forgot to add that in the previous post.

Are the mags "tuned?" :D Nice looking "blaster!"

Actually I did "tune" the mags- that is how I keep it from locking back when empty. This way I can shoot without BBs. All you have to do is dremel half of the little tab on the follower that contacts the slide stop. So yes- there tuned! :P

Now I've got to find a way to mount my 45 degree C-More on one... hmmm

That thing looks a lot like my Limited gun.

I just called AIRSPLAT and ordered one.

:cheers:

got a bag of BB's and a can of green gas too.

What's the deal with propane? do you need some kind of adapter to squirt it into the gun?

(Last time I played with propane, it had a smell that could knock a buzzard off a sh#$%t wagon)

That thing looks a lot like my Limited gun.

I just called AIRSPLAT and ordered one.

:cheers:

got a bag of BB's and a can of green gas too.

What's the deal with propane? do you need some kind of adapter to squirt it into the gun?

(Last time I played with propane, it had a smell that could knock a buzzard off a sh#$%t wagon)

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GG-AI-PROP-ADAP.htm

A couple of questions for you.

1. What is the magazine capacity.

2. How fast can you get it to cycle

3. Are the pellets reusable

4. Do they go through the cardboard targets

5. Who sells the replaceable feed lips.

Todd

A couple of questions for you.

1. What is the magazine capacity.

2. How fast can you get it to cycle

3. Are the pellets reusable

4. Do they go through the cardboard targets

5. Who sells the replaceable feed lips.

Todd

A couple answers for ya: :)

1. What is the magazine capacity? Mine get 30 BBs

2. How fast can you get it to cycle? Pretty fast

3. Are the pellets reusable? I have been reusing mine- but heard somewhere not to... :huh:

4. Do they go through the cardboard targets? At full power yes- some get stuck at low gas levels

5. Who sells the replaceable feed lips? Evike.com- http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...p-for-WE/Detail

Well, my mouth is watering plenty know. I will be ordering one soon with the magazine reloader and propane adapter.

Looks like the perfect tool to help get my 10 yr old started in the shooting sports.

By the way, what pellets are you using? I noticed that there are many options to choose from. I take it they shoot the 6mm 0.2g pellets.

Todd

Just another thought. Maybe Brian should consider adding an Airsoft discussion. Considering the rising cost of ammunition, I see this as a very viable training tool for everyone in our sport. I know I will be getting one soon.

Brian, maybe you should think about selling these. If I read correctly, there are 15k-16k USPSA members in the USA that could possible be wanting one of these.

Does anyone know were I could find a LONG-FLAT trigger for this thing?

Like this http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v488/der...nt=IMGP2966.jpg

Thanks

Derek, the trigger on jays airsoft looks identical on the inside to a standard trigger. I think he is going to order another SVI trigger set and install it. I looked at his this weekend and it looks like it would drop right in.

Just another thought. Maybe Brian should consider adding an Airsoft discussion. Considering the rising cost of ammunition, I see this as a very viable training tool for everyone in our sport. I know I will be getting one soon.

Brian, maybe you should think about selling these. If I read correctly, there are 15k-16k USPSA members in the USA that could possible be wanting one of these.

With the rising cost of ammo I think this will be huge... I intend to get one soonest to help with training. There has been some discussion about doing some airsoft matches in the area. It could make for some very cool courses of fire. Old farm houses, barns... whatever. There are many possibilities that are not open to a real gun. The cost is next to nothing and the fun factor should be up there... not as good as a real gun, but fun just the same.

I think an airsoft forum would be a good idea as well....

Edited by JThompson

I have spent the last 2 hours reading up on airsoft pistols. The model mentioned above is an average priced model, but with a couple of mods it functions much better and there is a huge aftermarket for parts. From what I can gather, the WA SVI Infinity model is one of the better guns out there but priced around $250. There is even adapters out there that allow you to used cheap Benzomatic or Coleman propane bottles from Walmart for the gas. Pellets are like $12/5k. Mags are realitively cheap. Two of the biggest sellers in the US are Airsplat and Atlanta airsoft.

Another avenue would be to approach these companies as match sponsors or vendors. It is hard for me to drop $2500 on a STI/SVI at a match, but $100 on a good airsoft, I would not hesitate. they would make nice items for a price table too.

First off having an Airsoft board would be awesome. They have one on 1911.org and it is pretty nice. The fact of the rising bullet prices is a concern to alot of common folk such as myself- so I started looking harder at the option of airsoft. They have been around for what seems like forever, the first experience I had with them was about 10 years ago while stationed in Korea. They have come a long way! While the Western Arms guns are awesome- I just didn't see how they were better enough to justify the $150+ increase in price. The WE Hi-Capa is still the meat and potatoes "go-to" gun in my opinion. You can buy the BBs at Walmart for $10/5K. And I have been reusing them with success so far. I use a top curved SVI trigger in my STI gun and the long/curved trigger in the WE. While it appears that the trigger is essentially the same- right now I don't see the need to change it. I have encountered a nagging difference in the feel.

Airsoft wargames are growing in popularity around the country. I have stumbled across a "Practical Shooting" type of organization. Here is a few links for information about them:

Tactical Airsoft Speed Shooting (TAPSS)

Here is a video that shows how they do it overseas!

It looks like a blast... I mean you could have a match anywhere. Think of the possible COFs. It could be a great way to get the younger kids interested in shooting in a way that is more forgiving of mistakes. The basic skill set is the same, and you could start them out much younger. It's great for mom and dad too... if money is tight, it might be the only way a family could afford to shoot. I have a feeling it's going to be huge... esp if the cost of "real" shooting keeps climbing.

Jay,

Put out some feelers where you are and I'll do the same here. If we get enough interest, maybe we can start something in the area, or halfway in between.

Best,

Jim

Edited by JThompson